VTmotoMike08

Does AOPA spam you too?

I am sick of spam from AOPA! Do any other skydivers get this from them? I assume that USPA sold my address and email to them>:( because I don't think that they send out totally random adversisments and invites to join.

I know they are a pretty good organization, so I am disapointed that they resoret to this. I get several emails a week and also have gotten about 5-6 mailed solicitations in the last few months. I just don't want to join and I don't care if I get a free bag:S

I don't get any emails from them but I do get offers to join them in snail mail every month. I just tear them up and throw them in the trash. It's their money going down there.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yup. I got my pilot's license and didnt join AOPA. Now I get junk email from them almost weekly. Although I had considered joining at one point, I will never join now because I know that a good portion of the money goes toward sending out massive amounts of junk mail.

No, but then I joined.

And it's personal choice, but the AOPA is well worth the support. It's less expensive than USPA membership, and they do untold amounts to protect GA in this country. (Hint: Skydiving falls under GA-general aviation).

They are part of an effort to find good replacements to 100LL, have legal protective services, hold the FAA at bay when it comes to overwhelming aircraft AD's........

Think about joining.:)

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

As a clarification, when you say SPAM, are you talking about e-mail based, or snail mail?

The USPA (as confirmed by HQ) never sells or distributes members e-mail addresses.

There is a snail mail list available for vendors, organizations, etc. however it is very easy to "opt out" through a check box on the application/renewal form.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I get both email and snail mail from them regularly asking me to join. I would have been a lot more likely to do so if they did not send out junk. I assume that they got both contacts from USPA. Seems most likely, as I am not part of any other avaiation or similiar organizations. I have no idea where else they could have gotten my info from, although almost anything is possible.

As for USPA HQ never selling email addresses, well, we cannot ever confirm that by an outside source, so I guess we will have to take their word on it while remaining suspicious.:|

last year there was a petition going around and we were encouraged to sign it online on the AOPA site. Since then we have gotten occasional postal mail from them...maybe that was how they got your address?

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I think I got put on their mailing list because I did the whole thing on their website to say NO to the $25 fee per flight.. that Kallend posted about.:S

Since then.. yup.. snail spam and email.. but they are easy to see and delete.. NP.