slotperfect

Samuel Adams Utopias - 54 Proof Beer

I just watched a bit on the History Channel about beer and breweries. Apparently Samuel Adams is brewing the strongest beer in the world. "Utopias" is 27% alcohol (54 proof), is distilled (not fermented), and upon pouring has no head. Unusual to say the least.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopias_%28beer%29#Utopias

http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2008/01/23/this_extreme_beer_takes_it_to_the_limit_one_more_time/
Arrive Safely

John

Wonder what it tastes like. If you're just looking for strong, I say move up to Booker's. If it's actually good beer, hmm....swell.

:)
linz
--
A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged. A liberal is just a conservative who's been to jail

Holy shit... a 24 ounce bottle of Utopia sells for about $130!!! :S

The most I'm willing to pay for a good 6 pack of what
s available around here is about $10.

If Alabama's Free The Hops movement succeeds in getting state law changed to allow stronger gourmet beer to be sold, I'd be happy. There's a shit-load of good micro-brewed gourmet beers with a higher than usual alcohol content out there that's banned by the state. >:(

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Holy shit... a 24 ounce bottle of Utopia sells for about $130!!! :S

The most I'm willing to pay for a good 6 pack of what
s available around here is about $10.

If Alabama's Free The Hops movement succeeds in getting state law changed to allow stronger gourmet beer to be sold, I'd be happy. There's a shit-load of good micro-brewed gourmet beers with a higher than usual alcohol content out there that's banned by the state. >:(

That's more or less the case with Poland; although they're not microbreweries. The beer there starts at 5% (based on my extensive experience and goes as high as 11% - but the average is 7.5%. It also comes in 500 ml bottles/cans by default. B| Not to mention there's a wide variety - over 200 last I checked B|

It's a shame that although Chicago has a large Polish Population & thus many products are imported both beer & food) the beer is lowered in terms of the percentage to met U.S. "standards." :|

Hence why a quarter - and sometimes more of my suitcase is filled with beer on my flight back home every rime.
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Utopias is an interesting beer. They actually had to genetically engineer a new strain of yeast to be able to get that strong.

I've sampled utopias the last three years at the Great American Beer Festival here in Denver. I try it every time and conclude that I really don't like it. It's sweet...and got a strange flavor and aftertaste. But that doesn't stop me from trying it every year just because I can. ;)

Avrey brewing (Boulder, CO) makes some good strong beers if that's what you like. If you are ever in Boulder on a friday afternoon, stop by the Avrey tasting room and check out some of their strong beers...they're in the 15% to 18% range

I watched that Modern Marvels episode today as well... they stated that the US was a well respected beer brewing nation back in the revolutionary days and lost most of its breweries and status during the prohibition/depression dust bowl era. It resulted in watered down versions due to rationing amongst war time and anti german sentiment post world war 1 (most breweries were started by german immigrants) Very interesting show :)

I watched that Modern Marvels episode today as well... they stated that the US was a well respected beer brewing nation back in the revolutionary days and lost most of its breweries and status during the prohibition/depression dust bowl era. It resulted in watered down versions due to rationing amongst war time and anti german sentiment post world war 1 (most breweries were started by german immigrants) Very interesting show :)

I always wondered why American beer is so much weaker than European beer. I lived in Germany for several years and grew accustomed to the heavier, and might I add tastier, beers. I'm not sure I could take too many beers at an alcohol level of 24%; that must knock you on your butt. A friend and I used to go the Schneider Keller in Munich for breakfast and eat Weiss Wurst and drink Aventinus Weizen beer, which is 12%. That's the local tradition and they stop serving at 11:00 a.m. A few of those on a relative empty stomach and we would be rolling home. Hey, it just occurred to me that this is my first post on this site; do I owe everyone a beer? How appropriate.

--------------------------------------------------------
It's what people know about themselves inside that makes the afraid -- The High Plains Drifter