banesanura

Good Deed

It was raining today and I had my umbrella, iopod pluged in, and comfy shoes along with everyone else walking to the office in downtown Chicago...

A homeless man sits under a building soaking wet attempting to keep himself sheltered from the rain

I gave the homeless man my umbrella and continued my walk to work in the pouring rain.

Pay it forward...any other good deeds?
Best Girl Scout Ever.

I fully believe in Pay it forward...

A few years back when I was selling my minivan, an elderly lady who had just lost her van to a fire came to look at it and could only make monthly payments, reluctantly I accepted. Well she was more than good for her word and a 3 years ago I found myself in the opposite situation where I desperately needed a mini van and was able to also make payments to a private party. So yes, just like everything else comes around, good deeds also do...;)

Towel would have gotten wet along with any jacket- but in this weather -a jacket isn't going to do any good.

Sandwich would have been a good idea, but I didn't have it on me.

Perhaps you can help me make one and give it to the homeless guy.

I am saying turkey on wheat with a bunch of veggies.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

Umbrellas are useless in downtown Chicago more often than not. He would have been better off with a towel, a jacket or a sandwich if he was truly homeless. Your umbrella is probably already in a trash can.

Easy there tigra, Leave the rest of us with our imagination.:P:D:D:D
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

Phew!
I was afraid you were going to say you kicked him in the balls.
He probably wouldn't have understood that some people pay good money for that.;)

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Umbrellas are useless in downtown Chicago more often than not. He would have been better off with a towel, a jacket or a sandwich if he was truly homeless. Your umbrella is probably already in a trash can.

Yup...:)

Wanna make his day, nuthin' like a banana sammich and a handjob to make ya forget it's raining! :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeah - maybe she should have shot him instead, and saved everyone a lot of unneccessary inconvenience.

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I disagree that giving the homeless person the umbrella did no good. It's the intention to help someone that matters. The homeless guy probably felt pretty good that a young girl stopped to give him something of hers. That is worth something. Everyone matters...no matter how down and out they might be.

Like Mamajumps, I also believe in paying it forward.

I disagree that giving the homeless person the umbrella did no good. It's the intention to help someone that matters. The homeless guy probably felt pretty good that a young girl stopped to give him something of hers. That is worth something. Everyone matters...no matter how down and out they might be.

Like Mamajumps, I also believe in paying it forward.

I second that.
Skymama stalker #69!!!!

I agree that it's a beautiful thing for someone to be able to do a good deed in silence, but a good deed is still a good deed. It's still better than not doing anything, and it's definitely better than getting upset about someone else's good deed.

I think that people often surprise themselves with their good intentions and want to share them with others. I struggle with this all of the time. I enjoy doing things to help others. However, although I enjoy the way it makes others feel, I worry about the fact that I like how I feel about myself in the process. I don't want others to get the wrong idea of me, since I'm only human. I definitely cannot say that I am always entirely selfless in my actions.

These good deeds and selfless actions, that people talk about do often inspire others to try their own good deeds. I don't see the harm in that. It takes a lot for someone to go to that next level and do good without ever sharing it. I have achieved that a few times, but I usually want to share something special with my mother or boyfriend or whomever. I hope to be able to fully get there myself, someday. I certainly won't condemn someone else for feeling good about something that they did to put a smile on someone else's face.

Also Tigra, if you want to know why Banesanura is posting about this, why not just ask her?

Have you ever been in Chicago on a rainy day? There are more umbrellas in the trash than there are being used. Besides, if you are going to do a good deed, do it. But why hop online and brag about it after the fact?

Maybe just to 'plant a friendly reminder seed', to remind others to do so too. And how simple 'paying it forward' can truly be & how great it can make everyone involved feel?:S Or maybe you didn't realize turtlespeed's answer was sarcastic, ( :D:D:D:D GREAT comeback turtle ;) ) & you feel she should have shot him, & waited for the 'Chicago Tribune' to write about it? :S
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

This post isn't to brag but more of setting an example This is to inspire people to pay it forward.

We all have done plenty of good deeds, food pantry, raising money for families who live in poverty, counseling, but today was the first day where I walked in the rain because I gave my umbrella to some one who needed it more.
Best Girl Scout Ever.

This post isn't to brag but more of setting an example This is to inspire people to pay it forward.

We all have done plenty of good deeds, food pantry, raising money for families who live in poverty, counseling, but today was the first day where I walked in the rain because I gave my umbrella to some one who needed it more.

Always carry a Banana sammich with you....ya never know! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Wow, there are some catty ass people in this thread.

Anyway, I think what the OP did was nice, even if the umbrella ended up in the trash. It made her feel good to do what she could *at the time* to help. Instead of ragging on her for it, go out and do a good deed yourself if you're so uptight about her deed not being good enough.

Christ.