futuredivot

Best Spinal Injury Rehab and Treatment

I know that ya'll, for the most part aren't experts but I'm looking for the best spinal treatment in the country. As some of you know, a dear friend of mine was injured this week (freak accident playing with his kids) and we're wanting to look at all the options. I'm not a vibes kinda guy, but here's a link to some of the details for your information. http://naat.net/News/AlanUpdate.html#Latest%20News
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

My friend Glynn broke his back in a motorcycle accident several years ago in western North Carolina, the doctor that operated on him was the son of the doctor that invented some of the components or procedures used. That was in Ashville, NC.

I wish I had more information for you, but it may be worth looking into that area.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I am by no means an expert, but I do work in the physical therapy profession as an outpatient PT aide, and I volunteer in the spinal cord injury unit at the #1 rehabilitation hospital in America (as ranked by U.S. News & World Report).

I think the spinal cord injury unit at the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago is AMAZING. I volunteer once a week with a physical therapy walking group, and I see people progress from powered wheelchairs to canes in a couple months.

Each patient has their own rehab team that consists of a doctor, nurse, patient care technician, physical therapist, occupational therapist, and psychologist, and any other help if needed. Patients do at least 3 hrs (often more) of therapy per day, which is why they have such dramatic results.

I recently worked with a patient whose first doctor told him he would not walk again after a car accident. He rocked his first day of walking group, and he was discharged walking with a walker.

Anyway, I won't babble too much longer, but try to find a dedicated rehabilitation hospital. In my humble opinion, that is the best direction to go. Here is the report from U.S. News:

http://www.usnews.com/directories/hospitals/index_html/specialty+REPREHA/

Good luck and good vibes to your friend!

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)

I sent a prayer up for the Henley family also...so much damage from such a thing as a chin-up bar, how sad.:|:(

I second the vote for the Rehab Inst. of Chicago - they do great things there.

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson