pilotdave

Ever weighed your rig?

I just happened to be walking by a scale with my rig in hand a while back, so I threw it on there. Vector 3, sabre2 135, pdr 143, cypres, and a small metal hook knife: 19 lbs.

How bout yours?

Dave

Mine is about the same....

racer NOS
VX 97
150-M
no cypres
18 lbs

I asked Nancy at Jumpshack what the lightest power racer that she could put together.

"I'm sure if we made a step-in harness (no legstrap hardware), with a 97 AngelFire, and say
a 101 FireBolt, I could get it down to 8 pounds"

rm

dont forget to add 50-100 lbs of ruck, weapons, O2 and all the other heavy crap that thing was designed to be jumped with. sucks to get on the plane with, freefall with and generally deal with-but makes that 360 sq ft canopy fly better once you pull the ripcord!
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Interesting thread....

I had the first production Wonderhog when I started building them for Booth in 1974. With my 26' Navy Conical reserve and 28' (round) C-9 cheopo 7TU, the rig weighed 23lbs.

I never weighed it with the Strato Star/Navy Con combination I ended up with, but I figure it was within a pound or so of the cheapo.

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

My current rig:
'94 Racer, FX 88, PD 143 ........ 18.0 lbs
(prior to putting in a Cypres 2 weighing about 0.4 lbs)

My impression is that partially in reaction to heavy rigs in the early days, there was a time when the emphasis was on making rigs as light as possible. It was also a time when rigs were less sophisticated. These days there's all sorts of padding and stiffeners and covers for webbing, while back in the early 80's (?) a rig sometimes had only a single layer of cordura for the containers.

Between all that and lightweight round reserves (and some were too lightweight!), some early rigs compared well with those today, despite bigger mains. For example, my first rig had a Titan 265 in it, but weighed only 20 lbs because it was an early Racer and had a Phantom 24 in it.

The lightest I've seen:
Custom rig, Sabre 97, Phantom 22: ...... 12 lbs.

The custom rig had narrower than usual webbing, no padding, no leg hardware at all (step in, non-adjustable), over-the-shoulder throwout reserve PC (no spring or R/C cable & housing), no cutaway housings (individual cutaway cables at each riser only). Used for years by an expert jumper here in Canada.

(I can't be sure of the accuracy of rigger's spring scale I weighed it with. But 12 lbs can't be too far off since the Sabre is listed as 4.5 lbs, the Phantom as 4.4 lbs, leaving 3.1 for the rig. So under 13 lbs is believable.)