simplyputsi

Diagnose my car stereo problem

Ok so here is the skinny;
Driving to the gym from work yesterday, about 5 minutes into the drive the sound from the radio stops. I figure it was the station went out. I changed stations and find that to not be the case as non of them are producing sound.

So I switch to cd, and that does not produce sound. I say F it and park and go to the gym. About an hour later I come back, start the car and bam the radio is working fine. Just about 5 minutes into the drive again the volume goes out. Ugh!!!!

So as I have about 30 minutes to get home I decide i'm going to see what happens when I turn it up all the way. Well higher into the volume you can actually hear the radio, but it is faint still.

This morning the radio works fine, possibly for less than 5 minutes. I stop at the store for about 10 minutes, the radio was not producing regular volume when I stopped. When I come out of store and start the car it's working again, just fine, and did all the way to work, tad bit over 5 minutes probably.

So what is the deal? I thought maybe a wire was loose but then why would it work after the car had been turned off?
Time for a new stereo??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Sounds like the amplifier is giving out, maybe it's heating up and when it gets to a certain temp, it gives out. That might explain why you can hear the unamplified signal when you turn it waaay up.

You can get a new AM/FM radio with a CD and an Ipod port for like $75 at Best Buy. You could probably spend even less, but $75 should get you a name brand item. Maybe wait for the weekend, and see what they put on sale.

Sounds like the amplifier is giving out, maybe it's heating up and when it gets to a certain temp, it gives out. That might explain why you can hear the unamplified signal when you turn it waaay up.

You can get a new AM/FM radio with a CD and an Ipod port for like $75 at Best Buy. You could probably spend even less, but $75 should get you a name brand item. Maybe wait for the weekend, and see what they put on sale.

Ahhhh I did not think of that. Sounds reasonable, and I know that a new one won't cost much, and I'm actually due for one as well mine doesn't work with those new fangled ipods or other mp3 players :|

Turtle, if it is kaput, it will make good target practice B|
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Ahhhh I did not think of that. Sounds reasonable, and I know that a new one won't cost much, and I'm actually due for one as well mine doesn't work with those new fangled ipods or other mp3 players :|

Turtle, if it is kaput, it will make good target practice B|

That is true . . . I know a place that can happen too.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

if you are driving a Ford Tarus or Mercury Sable and is accompanied by intermitint failure of your power steering it might be an indication of a failing PRNDL switch...

of course that assumes that the radio turns on occasionally... of course it's probably just a failing radio or something simple like that... :P

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Like Icon said...
I had the same thing happen to me... It happens when you shifts gears... you could be driving on the highway and it shifts gears and then bam no radio... the radio display is still there but no sound. I tried to put in an mp3 player and it still didn't work. I had that problem for about 2 weeks before my power steering finally started to be on the fritz. It turned out to be the transmission range sensor (there are other names for it) but it only cost me $150 for a part and some labor. The part is cheap but you need a special tool to replace it.
Like Icon said... I had a 97 Mercury Sable...

You lurking SOB!!!

Who's Lurking!!! I just posted!!! :P

I just know that a failing PRNDL switch (also commonly refered to as a transmission range sensor) in a Mercury Sable creates the most unusual symptoms in an automobile I've ever seen... such as the audio in the radio turning on and off seemingly randomly and the power steering disabling then re-enabling when switching gears... :D:P
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Reply To

In Reply To

Who's Lurking!!! I just posted!!!

you stalker!!!

I only stalk you!!!

ughhhh

Hey... she likes it when I stalk, I mean chase her...

:DYou betcha! see you tonight babe...;)

Sounds like a grounding issue to me, which could also be a result of it being old.

When I was replacing my car stereo, something happened to the grounding circuit, and it wasn't working right. The symptoms the radio was displaying are exactly how you put it. No sound at all, except when turning it up very high, and then only faint.

Of course, the easiest way is to replace your radio, but if you have something wrong with your grounding wire, then the new radio will do the same thing. Make sure you test your grounding before you spend a lot of money on a brand new radio.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

OK, so I might have to dismiss the amp idea. Here is why.

So my radio works fine the other day all the way into work, I'm like well maybe it is because it's not so hot today. I ran an errand during the day and it went out on my way back. So I decided that when I park I'm going to just turn the car off and turn it back on and see. And when I did this the dang thing comes on working just fine.

It did this on the way home just before I got home and instead of actually turning the car back on I just turned it off, took the key out and put it back in and turned it to the position that allows the radio to come on, and it did just fine.

So what the heck!!!??
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Just bite the bullet and buy a new radio. My brothers factory radio sucked ass so he went and spent 135 bucks on a new pioneer. Nothing too big, just standard mp3, cd, sat ready, aux in and stuff like that. I installed it for him and he couldnt be happier with it.:)
Thats my recommendation. Old radios arent even really worth fixing if you ask me (what with how cheap new ones are). You might also want to replace your speakers while your at it as the factory ones are pretty much crap. You can get a decent set of speakers for around 50-80 bucks a pair. Hope that helps.;)

Muff #5048

Well I generally don't replace things that don't need to be replaced. If it just didn't work all the time I'd consider it broken. However the oddness of everything leads me to believe it is not broken, just trying to piss me off.
Maybe it is possessed or something.
I do realize that I can get a new one for fairly cheap. You do realize I'm a skydiver right? :P Now is the time I wish I had not sold my factory unit on ebay a few years ago:S
I did get a good amount on that thing when I did though, more than I'd probably spend on a new aftermarket one.

Is it possible I have a fuse problem?

Skymama's #2 stalker -

I highly doubt a fuse is to blame here. If a fuse goes then the whole thing wont work again until the fuse is replaced. The radio is likely old and could have any number of problems internally. It could be a ground, amp heat issue, sketchy channels, or any other sort of complicated electrical problem. IMO, if it stops working properly for any amount of time on a reccuring basis then it IS broken. I am also a skydiver (an E-4 in the military at that) and sometimes I just have to put off jumping for a couple weeks to buy something I need/want, but thats your decision not mine so good luck with whatever way you decide to go.:)

Muff #5048

Well I generally don't replace things that don't need to be replaced. If it just didn't work all the time I'd consider it broken. However the oddness of everything leads me to believe it is not broken, just trying to piss me off.
Maybe it is possessed or something.
I do realize that I can get a new one for fairly cheap. You do realize I'm a skydiver right? :P Now is the time I wish I had not sold my factory unit on ebay a few years ago:S
I did get a good amount on that thing when I did though, more than I'd probably spend on a new aftermarket one.

Is it possible I have a fuse problem?

Not a fuse problem. The stereo is broken. They have computer/electronic controlled amplifiers in them. I have a clarion unit in my car that I have had since my previous car (3-4 years) and it has recently just not come on or given out and stoped working. With the same circumstances of if you turn the volume all the way up you can kinda hear it. That's a bad amplifier or a failing amplifier.

Since the stereo in your car is most likely not worth much, your only realistic option is to buy a new one. I speak from the standpoint that I have had custom stereos in every car I have owned since I was 16. I really like quality sounding music and have never been satisfied with stock. I have installed all of them myself as well as troubleshooting most of the problems my friends have with stereos.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka