rideclimbfall

first canopy size / style

Howdy,
I started jumping in april 2005. I have 40 jumps my wieght w/o gear is 145 so 165 or so with. I have been using a cruiselite 210 (the smallest canopy at my dz) I am looking at canopies for my first rig. I have gotten somewhat conflicting advise (imagine that) so lets have some more. I have found a triathalon 160 for a decent price. Assuming the canopy checks out w/ my rigger is this an acceptable canopy for someone of my weight and exper. ? do I need to step down ? if so how? any advise is appreciated.
Thanks Al

You may find some of the articles here to be helpful.

I wouldn't consider a Tri 160 at 165 exit weight to be overly aggressive for someone with 40 jumps, but then again I've never seen you fly or land a parachute, don't know where you jump, don't know if you have previous injuries to protect, have no clue of your personal level of risk tolerance, etc...

A couple thoughts, the Cruise Lite is a 7 cell, F-111 canopy. Your first canopy will most likey be ZP, and I'd reccomend a 9 cell. You'll get much better performance by making those two changes.

Next, you'll need to step down a bit. Demo a 190 something. I'd suggest the Sabre2 from PD. It's a nine cell ZP, and should treat you well. The Pilot from Aerodyne is also a popular choice.

After that demo your intended purchase in a 170, provided all went well with the 190 demo.

The Triathalon is a ZP 7 cell canopy. If you want a Triathalon, I'd suggest the 175 as opposed to the 160. Overall though, I would steer away from the Triathalon.

Remember that what you'll be buying will be much different that what you are used to. Be fair to yourself in the demo process. If the 190 feels good, get one of those for awhile, unitl you are comfortable with it, then step down.

Canopies in that size should be easy to locate in on the used market, and easy to sell when you're done with it.

A couple thoughts, the Cruise Lite is a 7 cell, F-111 canopy. Your first canopy will most likey be ZP, and I'd reccomend a 9 cell.

Why?

I love my Spectre.

I would steer away from the Triathalon.

Why?

Nothing wrong with a Triathlon, excellent canopy for a lot of purposes, esp for a beginner.

Some people like 9 cells, some like 7 cells. Some are better off on 7 cells (camera, birdman, accuracy, crw, people wanting to get into BASE, people who want to take things slow, ...), some on 9 cells (generally more speed, glide and flare).

ciel bleu,
Saskia

How often do you jump?
Where do you jump?
Do you jump all winter?
What is your physical condition?

last jump was dec 12 dz shut down for the holidays.

I average 2-4 jumps a week should be more this summer

Home DZ is Pegasus in Chickisha, Ok

I am active and resonably fit. I rock climb, mountian bike, snowboard, and wakeboard.

A couple thoughts, the Cruise Lite is a 7 cell, F-111 canopy. Your first canopy will most likey be ZP, and I'd reccomend a 9 cell.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

I love my Spectre.

A nine cell provides a better flare. More stopping power. Better glide.

I would steer away from the Triathalon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why?

Nothing wrong with a Triathlon, excellent canopy for a lot of purposes, esp for a beginner.

The Spectre would be a better choice, if you want a 7 cell. The Tri is an older design, and there are better choices.

Some people like 9 cells, some like 7 cells. Some are better off on 7 cells (camera, birdman, accuracy, crw, people wanting to get into BASE,

CRW and BASE are the only areas where that applies. Traditional accuracy is also one, but that requires a traditional accuarcy canopy. The right cell is great for camera and birdman, and every canopy is good for accuracy, they all go where they are told.

A nine cell provides a better flare. More stopping power. Better glide.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on two points. My Spectre has a great flare, imho equivalent or better than the Safire I put 30 or so jumps on last year. It's much easier to stop in no wind than the Safire was.

A nine cell will generally have a better glide angle but not everyone wants that out of their canopy. The only way to know what someone prefers is to jump both and decide for themselves.

The Spectre would be a better choice, if you want a 7 cell. The Tri is an older design, and there are better choices.

I think a Tri is a good first canopy, especially for someone who is looking to get a zp main for not a lot of money. You can find some screaming good deals on them.

CRW and BASE are the only areas where that applies.

I disagree again. Some jumpers who don't do camera, CRW or BASE jump just prefer the steeper approach of a seven cell to the flatter, more "airplane" like approach of a nine cell. Again, the only way to determine which someone prefers is to jump both.

I wrote you a PM....

Alan....Lisa (my wife) just got her new (used) triathlon 160 and will be jumping it this weekend. She's loading it at like .8:1 :S. So I'll let you know how that goes...how she liked it....I suggested she do a high hop n pop and play around...so she should have some good feedback performance wise. More info in the PM.....

Jordan

Go Fast, Dock Soft.