Andy_Copland

Powered Parachutes

OK those who hop into these flying death machines, one of my buddies has one but never uses it, practically brand new.

He's given us free use of it so of course you know what that means, rigs on and up we go.

Now to be fair we have all agree'd to learn to fly it so we all get equal jump/flight duties.

A couple of questions come to mind. From what i can gather there is simply a throttle control and steering by lines attached to foot bars and canopy. If you get an engine failure and it wont start what would the procedure be?

Without getting all doom and gloom how hard are these things to fly?

Does the weight suddenly dropping from the jumper exiting cause any issues or problems?

Can i barn storm with a mustache and flying goggles?

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

We got alligators in the Tennessee River and sharks in Lake Guntersville. I'm thinking Florida is moving up here and there is a launch pad coming soon and we are going to rain down debris on Atlanta to pay you back for the Chattahoochee River. [:/][:/][:/]

If you want to kill yourself and a friend with one of those things, I don't know what to say, make sure you are over an unpopulated area. :|

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

Um, yes. I have a "friend" who has enjoyed several jumps out of those flying contraptions. From what I remember about my friend, I have a few pointers I can put out there for you....

- Be VERY careful exiting. Remember, the jumper will most likely be BEHIND the pilot. Think about this - on most powered parachutes, the canopy is connected to the airframe via caribeaners. This means it can shift. As the jumper behind climbs forward to pass the pilot, the airframe will rock forward. Rehearse your exit MANY times and make sure the pilot is wearing a pilot rig.

- Don't post pictures somewhere your S&TA can find them. Like on Dropzone.com. Definatly don't do that.

- Get instruction on how to fly them. :|

=========Shaun ==========

I tried a quick google search earlier for prices, mostly found flight schools though. I wouldnt imagine they'd be too expensive considering the fact that its a flying machine B|

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I sent Andy this PM and after the fact I realized that this is better served to many of you as these things are around and very tempting to try to catch a ride from.
Here are some of the things I learned about jumping from PPC's. I spent two years working in teh PPC industry for the largest manufactuer of PPC's and I had a lot of perks as you will read.

Andy
first off let me preface this by saying what you are wanting to do is illegal, PPC's are NOT approved for parachuting and you are at risk of having the man pay you a visit if caught!

I worked for Powrachute, we did a lot of Govt testing to see if agencys like the border patrol could use ppc's so I got paid to jump from these things and we had permission from the feds to do so.

Important tips, if any item comes loose from you or your rig there is a prop behind you, it will go into the prop, if your helmet comes off it will go in! The props are flimsy and will shred and there is the potential of your PC coming losse and going into the prop, be very cautious in climbing around in this aircraft during flight.

We discovered that the exit can be tricky, we jumped three diffrent models of PPC's, one was very easy to exit and that was the Pegasus line of PPC from Powrachute.

On exit we found that if you cut the prop and extend one foot peg and place the ppc into a turn that you open a wider "door" to exit from and that your exit weight shift into the turn makes the PPC more stable, if you are flying straight and level the ppc experiences a massive cg shift that can be disturbing to experience even to a seasond ppc pilot.

Snag hazards, the PPC is full of possible snag hazards, there are lines, nuts, bolts and just stuff all around, Ican't stress thise enough that your pilot is already flying his reserve, if you snag the ppc and cause any failuer to the ppc "wing" then the pilot is doomed. watch those snag hazards.

I jumped a few diffrent rigs from the PPC, at the time I had a JAV, mirage and dolphin, all of which has there pro's and cons, the dolphin being the less secure rig of all three as far as bridle expouser and stuff like that. I never experienced any problems but just felt better jumping with my mirage.
Since we where "testing" and I had some leway and permissions to tread upon I did jump my velcro closed base rig once, not the best idea I ever had as I kept feeling/hearing the velcro peel as I moved about the seat, lucky we did not go that high and it was a short flight.

I am not sure jumping a ppc is really that great or worth the risk today, They are slow, loud and a safety challenge.

hope that this helps.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

re snag hazards: It's a good thing this one was built for jumping out of :)
!

Well I doubt that the machine was built to be jumped out of, but thats a fun thought.

Get traraing, you should have at least a few basic flights with a PPC instructor before you get in these things, even if you only intend to exit them!
Joe

Sounds like we have an expert here gang - I'd be careful who you take advice from, but I know Joe and he's bonafide. I'm bowing out of the advice-givig...

Shaun
I doubt that I am an expert at jumping from PPC's or an expert at anything really.
I just have a few years experience and a lot of jumps from these things. I think we really learned a lot of information about the utility of PPC's at the time we where playing with jumping from them.
Joe

Well I doubt that the machine was built to be jumped out of, but thats a fun thought.

Yes, it was custom built for jumping. I was one of the guys who was giving design input on it. 100% serious

Get traraing, you should have at least a few basic flights with a PPC instructor before you get in these things, even if you only intend to exit them!
Joe

Yup, we plan on it.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

Yeah, what he said!

The jumps I did we killed the prop completely. Make sure you practice the exit with all of your gear on, including your helmet, alti, what ever you plan on wearing. Move slow and make sure you have firm foot placement when climbing out. Trust me, you do not want to "fall" out still half way in.

Now on a lighter note, who here has ever done a barrel roll in a PP at 500'? My buddy is the World Champion for Aerobatics in PP. Scared the crap out of me, I didnt know he was going to do it!

Just be careful guys, move slow and be sure footed.

I still want to do CRW with one though:S

I still want to do CRW with one though

WHat a brilliant idea :D

Dont worry, ill disconnect the RSL first.:S

We talked about it and came up with a couple of scenarios, but I bet that wing is hard as hell.

He does do it with his buddy for the airshow, he puts a wheel on the top, in the dark with headlights.

Again be careful and have fun!

Yes, it was custom built for jumping. I was one of the guys who was giving design input on it. 100% serious

reply]

What make and model is that? I would like to see it and check one out.
Joe