Elisha

Need a Car Battery Solution

Anyone have any ideas for a temporary, cheap car battery?

My car was accepted by the state of CA for to be "retired" (i.e. they'll pay me $1000). I have already failed my smog test and got my application accepted.

Now, all I need to do is:
1. Drive it to the DMV to give up the plates.
2. Drive it to one of the certified dismantlers.

Total is no more than 30 miles. Problem? Battery is dead and won't retain a charge when attempting to charge it. Getting someone to follow me to jump it doesn't sound good and I'm thinking that the dismantler wouldn't accept a car that wouldn't start (requiring a jump).

I'm looking at about $50, since the current battery is an 84 month battery and the warranty would be about 50%.

Anyone have any ideas? Two jump tickets just sounds like too much to drive it a few miles.

I'd call the dismantler..they will probably take it without a battery...it's an EPA hazard anyway and probably adds to their disposal cost.
then just get a jump to start it drive it there...it should run off the alternator the whole way.

So the state is paying you $1000 because the car is not fit to drive.
But to get that processed you have to drive the car:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

then just get a jump to start it drive it there...it should run off the alternator the whole way.

What if the alternator isn't working the best. I guess you would know after the jump.
I don't get it though. $1000 for something that isn't working. So you pay $50, now you've got $950. Sure you can do some stuff with $50, but seems like it will be more trouble than it's worth.

You could always just get someone to tow you around with a rope[:/]
Skymama's #2 stalker -

So the state is paying you $1000 because the car is not fit to drive.
But to get that processed you have to drive the car:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Don't bring that kind of logic into this. I mean we are talking about California here, they surely have far superior logic than everyone else:ph34r::ph34r::|
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I'd call the dismantler..they will probably take it without a battery...it's an EPA hazard anyway and probably adds to their disposal cost.

The core from the battery should be a source of income for the dismantler, not a cost. As far as I know, the car won't run off the alternator without some semblance of a battery in the loop. I think the car runs off the battery and the alternator simultaneously charges the battery, but I could be wrong.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

for the most part the alternator provides the juice while running...battery is just to start it - anything additional can be generated with wool socks worn with sandals....you just have to rub your shoes on the carpeting...:P

Here is a link to the application:

linky

The requirements are pretty easy:
1. Fail a Smog Test
2. Mail in your application with Smog failure results to the state.
3. If approved (I was), then take to DMV to surrender plates and get temporary driving permission.
4. Drive to approved dismantler (list sent with your approved application). They do visual and operational inspection and give you a grand if you pass.

The inspection is pretty minimal. It needs to start under its own power, drive at least 10 yards, pedals work and a few other things.

$1000.00. Holy Shit. Here the county will tow away junk vehicles for you at no cost and a scrap yard will give you $35 for the car for scrap metal, but a thousand. Does Cailfornia just have extra money to throw away? That's alot of gas in a tank. And if its going to be dismantled, why must it be able to start and drive 10 yards?

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

The core from the battery should be a source of income for the dismantler, not a cost. As far as I know, the car won't run off the alternator without some semblance of a battery in the loop. I think the car runs off the battery and the alternator simultaneously charges the battery, but I could be wrong.

Blues,
Dave
Race bikes dont have batteries;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Geez man, I thought I was an old fucker!
:D:D:D
still have your dimmer switch on the floorboard???

If you remember those, guess what...you are an old fucker!
:D:P
They don't make 'em like they used to.

As for the OP's battery...Midnight Auto Supply has a ton of them. Cheap, too!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Yeap, you're wrong ... you can't be simultaniously draining and charging a battery:S

Well of course the battery is either draining or charging at any given time, but couldn't you be throwing 2 amps st charging it while it's also giving up 1 amp to some other purpose, resulting in a net charging rate similar to 1 amp? Otherwise, how come when I tow my RV, I seem to charge the batteries while they're also powering the 12V stuff inside the RV (both from the single hot wire coming from my truck.)

I think I've previously tried disconnecting a battery while a car was running, but I can't remember whether that shut the car off or not.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

In your scenario (throwing 2 amps at it [charging] whole giving up 1 amp [draining]) is charging and draining simultaniously - sorry, can't happen like that.

What your RV is doing is the 3 amps are coming from the alternator... 2 charging the battery and the other 1 running stuff.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Geez man, I thought I was an old fucker!
:D:D:D
still have your dimmer switch on the floorboard???

If you remember those, guess what...you are an old fucker!
:D:P
They don't make 'em like they used to.

As for the OP's battery...Midnight Auto Supply has a ton of them. Cheap, too!

I not only remember the dimmer switch, I remember the push bulb for windshield washers on the floor!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706