Lostinspace

Dave DeWolf’s Rigging Class

When I took the course it started Friday evening and by the following Wednesday they were sending you to... Harrisburg, Pa to take the written exam.

To take the written exam you have to have your 20 signed off reserve repacks and your letter of reccomendation from a rigger that you are prepared for the written exam.

To get the letter, Dave has skill/ certification cards/ checklists to be initialed by a course rigger as the student completes a skill. For example the first day or so is spent on Inspection/ packing of round parachutes and pilot rigs, continuity, etc. Then you move into packing sport reserves and there are several sewing classes on patching parachutes, finger trapping lines, etc.

The days start early (7 or 8 am) and run late (9pm) so you have about 5 (14 hr) days to complete these tasks. The course is well run. There is a lecture/ demonstration every 2-4 hours then it's back to packing.

The more book preparation you put in before the course the better. The course is performance oriented. The more experience packing sport mains you have the easier the process will be. When I took the course para-loft supplied each student with their own equipment/ tools they would need for the course which you could buy at the end of the course.
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

Sounds like alot of work in a short amount of time.

I am glad that I took care of all this thanks to President Reagan and G.W. Bush while at Fort Lee, VA in the US Army Parachute Rigger Course.;);)
Kenneth Potter
FAA Senior Parachute Rigger
Tactical Delivery Instructor (Jeddah, KSA)
FFL Gunsmith

Respect his knowledge!! Beware of his politics!!!!

What you're really saying there is that *you* don't like his politics. Why didn't you just come right out and say that?

And if you respected him (which for the record I do, having taken his class myself), why make a snide comment about his "politics" on an online message board?
Coreece: "You sound like some skinheads I know, but your prejudice is with Christians, not niggers..."

What should I expect to take place in Dave’s Rigging class?

(i.e. Day two, class study on X, Inspection, sewing demonstration… )

Thank you.
Belinda

Belinda,
Your two PPM's(with your name well written on everything}.

Your logbook if you already have one.

You will be issued tools to work with there. You can buy them at the end of the course if needed.

My days there run from 5AM to 11PM; yours should be 7AM-9-9:30 PM.

Please bring any medicines that you could need for headaches , flu, and colds. Airborne would be recommended daily as someone there always has brought something to give everyone else!!!!!!!!

Do not bring personal gear expected to be packed there.

Power Bars.

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

Good luck Belinda! Dollar for dollar, Dave's course is the best money you could spend in our sport. Dave and his instructors put an amazing amount of time and effort into it.

Class starts at 6pm sharp on Friday, don't show up at 6:05pm, or you'll miss the class picture.

The best piece of advice I can give you is BRING KNEE PADS. You will spend the better half of a week on your knees, on a thin carpet over a HARD FLOOR. We had people running out to buy them after the first day of closing reserves on the floor.

Good luck!
Tom

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Course: $995
Written test: $80
Oral/ Practical exam:$100
Books: $140

Total: $1350

I splurged on a Holiday Inn when I was there which added about another $700 to the bill.

Assuming $50 per repack, that comes to 41 just to recover those costs. Add in the tools, which will vary, and possibly a sewing machine for a serious rigger, varies as well, it could take perhaps as many as 100 repacks to recover the investment. Just something to consider. It is impossible to put a price on the knowledge and skill gained.........oh wait, that would be $995. A better investment than a CYPRES IMO.
alan

Hi Belinda, I ran into Cathy and Vince over Thanksgiving, they said they knew you and to say hi when we're in the course together :)
Dave's a hell of a character, you'll love him. I know one of the other instructors too, nice guy and very patient teacher. He echoed the kneepad advice, know the course work and written test questions in advance, be prepared to work hard. The folks I know who have taken it were exhausted and overwhelmed with all the information packed into the class, but considered it a worthwhile investment.. even for those who only do their own repacks and nothing else.

Don't worry about the 'dive' hotels, they really aren't bad around here. Not the Ritz, but not pits either. I live in Etown, so very convenient for me :P

See you in class!
Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

My suggestion is to get as many repacks done and logged before you attend the course. That will take some of the pressure off, and will give you a chance to really dig into things like rounds, and to digest all the information being presented.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Considering the class starts Fri, not much time to follow up on that ;)

I did do a few chest repacks for shits and giggles, just to have at least a little bit of experience with a round since I'd never even seen one before. Dave said he'd work with local people to get chest rating for those of us who can't take an extra 3 days off of work. I'm glad I'm local and do have 10 chest repacks now.

I watched as many repacks as time permitted with several different riggers on different containers and asked lots of questions. Basically grilled the rigger at our DZ over the summer (that poor man was extremely glad to be rid of me, I think, I was a royal pain in his ass all summer!!). Also worked as a packer all summer and spent plenty of time going over the written exam questions and read all of the suggested texts.

Still scared shitless of the class and subsequent testing though.

Jen

I watched as many repacks as time permitted with several different riggers on different containers and asked lots of questions. Basically grilled the rigger at our DZ over the summer (that poor man was extremely glad to be rid of me, I think, I was a royal pain in his ass all summer!!). Also worked as a packer all summer and spent plenty of time going over the written exam questions and read all of the suggested texts.

Still scared shitless of the class and subsequent testing though.

Don't sweat it. It sounds like you have plenty of experience under your belt. The practical exam is pretty easy if you just take the process one step at a time. The written is a breeze. On the written, try to get the best score you can because the examiner will look to that as an indicator of your preparation, but all you really need to do is get a passing grade.

The class is long and hard, but you will meet lots of good people, and everybody there will be working together for a 100 percent class pass rate.

When you get your ticket take a bottle back to the rigger who has been helping you as a thank you gesture, and then keep learning and sharing your knowledge.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

When you get your ticket take a bottle back to the rigger who has been helping you as a thank you gesture, and then keep learning and sharing your knowledge.

I think he prefers beer. As long as it is free and cold. ;) If I pass and ever see him again (he was only here for the summer) I'll buy him all he wants!! Poor man was so sick of me asking 'why...' everything all summer long, but patient enough to answer every question.

What should I expect to take place in Dave’s Rigging class?

Whipping and folding baby!!!

And a few ancient egyptian secrets passed down from father to son for generations.

And tell me if Dave says its the highlight of his rigging career to look at your packjob, cause if it is I'm gonna off myself!

Ohh yeah, a lot of awesome information too.

ps look out for slamming packing paddles during the rounds.

pps watch out for Blakey, and dont take a piss without asking someone to watch your packjob.

Have Fun.

ppps If there are 10 instructors standing around you while you are packing, you probably made a mistake.:P

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

pps watch out for Blakey, and dont take a piss without asking someone to watch your packjob.

ppps If there are 10 instructors standing around you while you are packing, you probably made a mistake

If Things get really quiet and you don't hear a cat bell ringing... You'll probably find a little friend hiding somewhere in the reserve container. Don't worry. You'll just have to start over.:D:D:D
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken