mamajumps

Norman Kent

You know who else is pretty cool? My neighbor Dave. Of course he's not a famous skydiver so no-one here will be impressed that I know him, but he's got a really sweet lawn mower and lets us use his pool.

Your neighbor Dave sounds like a pretty cool guy. And gotta agree about Norm. If I hadn't known him by reputation, I still would have thought he was a really nice guy who is fun to skydive and hang out with. So is his wife, Nicole. She was smoking us both on the ff skillz. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He signed my first camera helmet back in the day at Quincy. (WFFC)

My friend Carl has never said no to drinking a beer with me. He is my beer-thirty buddy. I'm going to get him to sign a pint glass for me.

*** Carl sounds like a stand up guy. Maybe you, Carl, Dave and I can play golf some time.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

In Reply To

He signed my first camera helmet back in the day at Quincy. (WFFC)

My friend Carl has never said no to drinking a beer with me. He is my beer-thirty buddy. I'm going to get him to sign a pint glass for me.

*** Carl sounds like a stand up guy. Maybe you, Carl, Dave and I can play golf some time.

Carl will bring the beer. Thats just the kind of guy he is. B|

Norm Kent rocks. Not only is he a talented videographer, but he's a super-nice dude. I've had the misfortune of meeting a few other "famous" video people that were complete jerks to me (on more than one occasion), but not Norm. He patiently answered my ignorant questions and let me handle his headgear and was, in general, very cool.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I've had the misfortune of meeting a few other "famous" video people that were complete jerks to me (on more than one occasion), but not Norm. He patiently answered my ignorant questions and let me handle his headgear and was, in general, very cool.

Dave is the same way. He let me sit on his mower and explained how the hydrodynamic drive worked, even though I only had a push mower at the time. I wish Dave could meet Carl, I know they would be fast friends.
John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

Just to avoid confusion, "Norm" Kent is a South Florida lawyer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Kent

It's something of a running joke. Norm and Norman each used to get a lot of the other's email (and may still, but I haven't seen in three years, so I can't swear to it).

Echoing the OP, it is an honor to know him. He and his family are wonderful people.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Seconded, Norman is awesome! I had the honour of meeting and hanging out with him and our own SkymonkeyONE a few years back at the WFFC, good times!

Ditto..I meant Norm Kent at Rantoul a while back and I remember saying 'Duh...duh..um..hi..duh..duh..' then handing him my card and asking him to view my (then) website.

...then I wobbled away...awestruck. He's a nice guy! :)

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

Just to avoid confusion, "Norm" Kent is a South Florida lawyer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norm_Kent

It's something of a running joke. Norm and Norman each used to get a lot of the other's email (and may still, but I haven't seen in three years, so I can't swear to it).

Echoing the OP, it is an honor to know him. He and his family are wonderful people.

rl

That's probably why Norman likes to be "Norman" vs "Norm.;)
He is sweet. You should have seen him at the National Association of Broadcasters convention. He spoke in front of a few thousand people, and had to stop showing his video, because during the presentation, he commented "No one is listening to me, you're just watching the pictures." Later, someone commented that Norman's pictures say more than his mouth ever could. Les Stroud (Survivorman) was speechless. When he saw Norman's flag footage at sunset...he teared up big-time. And Les isn't even American.:P
If you ever get the chance to get some coaching from Norman, Nicole, or Ramsey (tunnel), take the opp.

Les Stroud (Survivorman) was speechless. When he saw Norman's flag footage at sunset...he teared up big-time. And Les isn't even American.:P

Well of course he did; he's Canadian. Canadians worship Americans. :)
...except when we're trying to get across the &$*% *$&%ing border to get some cheap would-be-prescription-in-the-US drugs. >:(:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I got a big kick out of something that happened at Z-Flock 3.0 (wingsuit bigway at Zhills) last year. Norman shows up on the 3rd day and asks the event organizer (Scott Bland) if he can fly camera on some of our jumps... Scott tells Norman to ask me, since I was "in charge" of the few camera flyers we had. I got a little confused when Norman asked me if I minded him coming along on the jump. :D

Here is a shot of him (upper left) from one of those jumps. He has his camera (5D I believe) mounted on his left HAND.

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I remember Norman Kent when he was the local up & coming camera guy at perris, back in 1980. We still have an 8 x 11 in. print of the pic he took of my wife's one and only static line jump from the Michael Alpha DC-3. He was always the nicest guy - and still is !

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

...except when we're trying to get across the &$*% *$&%ing border to get some cheap would-be-prescription-in-the-US drugs.

I've had the opposite experience at the border. Usually, when I go to Canada in an auto, I'm greeted by friendly, smiling officers (and once a really cute young lass), who encourage me to come into Canada, spend all my money and leave. That's the way it is in most other countries, and I've come to the summary that it's the way things should be.

Then I come back to the States, showing a valid US Passport, driver's license, etc - keep in mind, I've never even had a speeding ticket in my life - and the US border people are complete jerks that think I'm hiding half a ton of pot and an Al-Qaeda manual in my ass. I understand the need for good security at our borders, but for some reason, I always seem to get US border patrol that's feeling a "hunch" that I'm some sort of bad guy, and I don't think I'm the only one to feel that way. Maybe it's because my record is too clean?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I had the honor of meeting him at Summerfest... what a great guy! One day if I can be an inth of the skydiver and videographer that he is, I will be happy....;)

I'm nowhere near being a camerflyer but you can bet that I want to be, someday.

I've never met Norman Kent but I know of him by reputation, and he is a living legend. Those are very cool. :)
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

...except when we're trying to get across the &$*% *$&%ing border to get some cheap would-be-prescription-in-the-US drugs.

I've had the opposite experience at the border. Usually, when I go to Canada in an auto, I'm greeted by friendly, smiling officers (and once a really cute young lass), who encourage me to come into Canada, spend all my money and leave. That's the way it is in most other countries, and I've come to the summary that it's the way things should be.

Then I come back to the States, showing a valid US Passport, driver's license, etc - keep in mind, I've never even had a speeding ticket in my life - and the US border people are complete jerks that think I'm hiding half a ton of pot and an Al-Qaeda manual in my ass. I understand the need for good security at our borders, but for some reason, I always seem to get US border patrol that's feeling a "hunch" that I'm some sort of bad guy, and I don't think I'm the only one to feel that way. Maybe it's because my record is too clean?

It's the long string of fuse hanging out of your ass, and the ACME Explosives T Shirt you wear!:P