FallloutboyDAoC

First motorcycle?

Just to be sure, the yamaha xt250 bike, does the 250 part mean 250 cc's? and what does cc stand for?

I'm far from a gear head, but really, you should educate yourself alot more on bikes if you didnt even know these basics.

Japanese and European bikes are metric, both in their parts (think 9mm bolts) and their engine sizes. cc = cubic centimetre, ie the size of the displacement of your engine.

I got a SV 650 as a 1st bike, and I love it. Its a V-Twin, so doenst have the same crazy speed, say, a Honda 650rr has with the same engine size. It also doesnt have any fairings, so dropping it wont break as much plastic (or your heart) as a fully dressed crotch rocket.

I think alot of the dirt and dual purpose bikes are 2 strokes engines. I know nothing about those, but my guess is that their power band will be completely different then a 4 stroke. Ask around.

I'd say look at the SV650, the Ninja 500, and other in that category.
Remster

just drop it dude, i dont really care if you believe me or not.

Upset because after you were banned in another forum for trolling you were called out for an outright lie?

It upsets me when whuffos spread lies about the sport I love. Its even worst when a skydiving tourist does it and tries to sound like they know what their talking about because they've done a couple of tandems.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

just drop it dude, i dont really care if you believe me or not.

Upset because after you were banned in another forum for trolling you were called out for an outright lie?

It upsets me when whuffos spread lies about the sport I love. Its even worst when a skydiving tourist does it and tries to sound like they know what their talking about because they've done a couple of tandems.

Ok, um, i dont know what it is i did to you, but i'm sorry. I wish i never said what i saw, it obviously means a lot to you. I'm sorry for posting i saw a story about that.

Just to be sure, the yamaha xt250 bike, does the 250 part mean 250 cc's? and what does cc stand for?

I'm far from a gear head, but really, you should educate yourself alot more on bikes if you didnt even know these basics.

Japanese and European bikes are metric, both in their parts (think 9mm bolts) and their engine sizes. cc = cubic centimetre, ie the size of the displacement of your engine.

I got a SV 650 as a 1st bike, and I love it. Its a V-Twin, so doenst have the same crazy speed, say, a Honda 650rr has with the same engine size. It also doesnt have any fairings, so dropping it wont break as much plastic (or your heart) as a fully dressed crotch rocket.

I think alot of the dirt and dual purpose bikes are 2 strokes engines. I know nothing about those, but my guess is that their power band will be completely different then a 4 stroke. Ask around.

I'd say look at the SV650, the Ninja 500, and other in that category.

thanks a lot for your reply. I really dont know anything about bikes, and this really helps. im probably going to do the bike safety course before i buy anything now. im gonna look into those bikes too.

The questions are no problem. cc stands for cubic centimeters and it is based on the size of the motor. Some manufacturers list the size in cubic inches (harley, victory and now suzuki) Generally speaking a 650 cc cruiser will have similar characteristics between manufacturers. The honda may be 50 lbs. different than the yamaha, but overall the performance will be comprable. There is a difference in sport bike vs. cruiser. A 650cc cruiser will be slower more controllable than a 600cc sport bike. The sport bike is not a vtwin (two cylinder engine that is configured in a V formation) It is normally a 4 cylinder higher rpm engine with a transmission that is geared for quick off the line performance and rapid acceleration. This is why I think they are dangerous for new riders.

Look in the yellow pages or the internet for a motorcycle riders course. (it will also probably get you a discount on your insurance) They run around $250 to $400 depending on where you are located. They are not sponsered by the dmv.

Not knowing where you live, I will assume that you will have to take a written test to get a motorcycle temporary license. This normally means that you cannot drive on a freeway, ride a passenger or ride at night. Than you will have to pass a drivers test to get the full motorcycle license. This often can be done at the school you choose.

As far as the other replies from some of the people on the thread. I see where some of the problem lies in this sport. I have been very fortunate to have a great home drop zone. Because if you asked a question on something you didn't know about skydiving, even if some may think the question is stupid, you would get an answer instead of the sarcasim.

True. I'll agree there. I suppose I have a bunch of trusted family and friends with riding experience that will encourage or discourage any decision I make.

That and I like to do my research.

And the nickname thing was important!>:(:P Not life or death, important. But he's our largest client - don't want to lose him. :P Rub this guy the wrong way and who KNOWS what he might do. :S

And the nickname thing was important!>:(:P Not life or death, important. But he's our largest client - don't want to lose him. :P Rub this guy the wrong way and who KNOWS what he might do. :S

All that would take is rubbing the guy back the right way...

Perhaps a trip to the naked beggar ballet? :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

he also said that you dont need to take any tests to get the permit, you just go and apply for it. Is this true?

Most places I've lived that's true, you only need to take the written test to get a permit, essentially letting you get out on the road with zero practical experience. A couple people have mentioned taking a class. Check out the link below and look at the Basic Rider Course. http://www.msf-usa.org The course is usually two days, they provide the bike, etc. and all you have to do is show up wearing what they tell you to. You'll gain a lot of info in a very short period and leave with a lot of basic knowledge that can help you in making decisions about buying a bike (or whether or not you even want to ride a bike). Last I heard, the course costs around $190 most places. Assuming you pass the course, it also counts as the practical (driving) part of getting your motorcycle license. You just go and take the written test and are good to go.

Lots of people just hop on a bike and start riding and lots do it with no problem whatsoever. With what you are putting at risk though, seems worth it to me.

Edit: ps...usually gets you a discount on insurance too!
Killing threads since 2004.

The best part about taking the MSF basic class is that you get to practice a lot of real-world situations on someone else's bike.

They (well, at least used to) make you skid, so you could deal with it. And ride on gravel, and ride over an obstacle, and ride around an obstacle -- lots of things that can easily happen in the real world, and that you'll deal with far better by having done it once in a controlled situation.

I can't emphasize enough how valuable that was. I've been riding about 15 years, and I wouldn't recommend anyone start riding without taking the class.

Especially that part about practicing (and making flat spots on the tires of) someone else's bike instead of your own.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The best part about taking the MSF basic class is that you get to practice a lot of real-world situations on someone else's bike.

They (well, at least used to) make you skid, so you could deal with it. And ride on gravel, and ride over an obstacle, and ride around an obstacle -- lots of things that can easily happen in the real world, and that you'll deal with far better by having done it once in a controlled situation.

I can't emphasize enough how valuable that was. I've been riding about 15 years, and I wouldn't recommend anyone start riding without taking the class.

Especially that part about practicing (and making flat spots on the tires of) someone else's bike instead of your own.

Wendy W.

All very true...also gave me the chance to ride a couple different types of bikes (they had a few different types of cruisers and a handful of Ninjas). The place I took my class has the course painted on the parking lot they use and after I bought my bike I was able to go back and essentially put myself back through the course on my own machine. Very beneficial and gave me a boost of confidence on my own equipment that was a bit larger than what I took the class riding.
Killing threads since 2004.

Agreed. I did the usual UK progression, starting on 50cc, graduating to 125cc, then 250cc, 600cc, before buying the first in a long line of a 1000cc crotch rockets. Of course, I rode all of them absolutely flat out as is the British way but luckily, I'd got falling off out of my system by the time I got off a 250. I think that system works.

My last bike for example, a Suzuki TL1000, blew it's gearbox to smithereens dumping all the oil out through a hole in the engine casing that 2nd gear had made during it's escape. The oil covered the back wheel which locked up while I was doing 90ish round a left hander. Years previously spent learning to control dirtbikes sliding around under me undoubtedly contributed to me not ending up as another statistic.

I just purchased a 2006 Suzuki Savage ls650/s40 which is a wonderful first bike. It's been a lot of fun riding around with my brother.

Here is what it looks like but this isn't my bike.

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

Here is a question for the people who ride.

If you have never really driven a manual transmission vehicle how hard is it to pick up the clutch system on a motorcycle?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Get an automatic bike... there's plenty around.

Now there's a challenge to normal motorcyclist... I borrowed one a while ago an dam near killed myself... Slowed dowm, went for the clutch and all I got was brake:S

P.S Automatic transmissions are for puffs!!:P

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Just goes to show the difference in culture... a 650 is just not going to be acceptable as a good first bike in the U.K - HayHum.....

It's probably those things called corners which US riders might not be too familiar with. ;)

I think there might be a culture difference at work here though. It is a fact that more sports bikes are sold in the UK than in any other country and hero blobs, knee sliders and chicken strips rarely stay intact for long. A lot of Brits tend to ride pretty aggressively and as a result they crash a lot so it's best to get it out of your system on a slower bike. As Jamie Witham said, "if you don't crash, you don't know where the limit is".

Just goes to show the difference in culture... a 650 is just not going to be acceptable as a good first bike in the U.K - HayHum.....

A big problem here is that there are no "sexy" smaller bikes. I really wanted a 250 sport bike as my first bike as I like the look and I had a choice 125 look-alike or a 600! I ended up going with a Fazer 600 which was bigger than I wanted, uglier than I wanted and actually as it turned out better.

I also disagree about culture as lots of UK bikers do Direct access and their first bike is a 600/1000 litre and in general the cruisers are unpopular to they are very fast bikes.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I also disagree about culture as lots of UK bikers do Direct access and their first bike is a 600/1000 litre and in general the cruisers are unpopular to they are very fast bikes.

When I started there was no direct access so the progression was 50cc -> 125cc -> unlimited, it was the only way to do it. But direct access isn't a great idea in my opinion. I know one guy who bought a Fireblade after passing his test and T-boned a car killing himself a month later. There is a lot to be said for learning by crashing a few 125s. But maybe I'm just a grumpy old man.

Here is a question for the people who ride.

If you have never really driven a manual transmission vehicle how hard is it to pick up the clutch system on a motorcycle?

very good question DougH. a certain synchronization and smoothness is needed, and not always easily learned...
(though i have very little riding experience)

Your point shows an understanding of just one of the many things , involved in considering motorcycle transportation.

Our son,,,(22 y.o.a.) is right now trying to convince me of the neeeed!!! for him to buy a motorcycle and so this thread has been of real interest to me.. Thanks to everyone with the common sense replies,, AND thank you AggieDave for squelching that decades old scenario... of a biker wearing a rig,, which somehow deploys...:S>:(
sure we can envision such a thing... but that alone prevents its' happening....

a training course certainly sounds right... and good point about the need for instruction...
just like with any new endeavor...

in our particular case i feel the money he wants to spend on a bike, 1000 dollars will buy 200 + gallons of gas... In the car which good old mom and dad provided him, ( a chevy lumina V6 ) he'll get 25 m p gallon... so that is 5000 miles..... heck he won't drive 5000 in a YEAR..... plus the cost for the Bike,, is with the Machine DRY..... so NOW on top of it,, he has to fuel the thing, and insure it, and get a helmet, and get protective apparel, AND get rain gear,,,,cause sometime when we're driving somewhere,,, IT rains!!! hahah, and get prepared for a possible beakdown,, cause a 1,000 dollar motorcycle sound like trouble!!! :o to me... hahaha..
One has to think long and hard about making such a purchase and accept the reality that experience is not bestowed upon us... simply by inserting a key into a machine, and making it START.. when you hit the switch...

frankly, i love him and am concerned about his well being, and maybe BECAUSE i skydive, i have the rational understanding of the need to assess the risks..... which rise substantially for those who are new to an activity...
good luck to those who follow the sensible approach to learning . Carry a Guardian Angel with you, to offset the crazy and unpredictable auto drivers out there...:|

jmy
pops 3935
nscr1817
4stack 930

I haven't read any of the other posts, but you were looking for a recommendation for a first bike. I don't recommend you buy used - why? I've bought a used bike or two, and it's not worth the time and energy trying to fix them when they break. Better to get a cheap, new bike with a warranty, and just enjoy riding it for a while.

The Ninja 250R is a great bike for a starter. It's cheap as Hell ($3,000), great fuel efficiency, and the parts don't change too much from year to year, so you can easily get replacement parts, lightweight, and still has a high redline.

Who cares if the "hard-core" bikers give you crap about riding a kids bike? If they do, ask them how much they spend on gas for their 1500 Harleys that get the same gas mileage as a small car?
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD