AdamLanes

Why do some jumpers think it is okay to lean on others in the jump plane?

It's so true! I'm a small girl, and I get wedged between some really big guys. You can lean on me whenever you want, but if I really can't breathe ...and it happens a lot...please give me a bit of space. I'd hate to be known as the girl who passed out on the way to altitude. [:/]

My feet seem to *always* fall asleep when I'm wedged into a Cessna; somehow it's always a big guy who is sitting between my feet/knees, and the rig ends up sitting fully on my feet pinching them between the BOC and the sides of the plane and the guy on the other side. It makes for some really sloppy exits when I can't put any weight on my feet... I have to just kinda roll out of the plane and then let them wake up while I'm in freefall. [:/]
Looking for newbie rig, all components...

I think what's being suggested is that guys like the physical contact that comes from laying on a 105lb blond.

Isn't it hard to feel much through six inches of parachute backpacki?:S:P

Seriously, if you sit up straighter, you fit on the plane better. If you lay way back like a slob, you're taking up other people's space. I agree with V, that's just plain rude. If I'm being squished, i tell the person.If they don't care, I move them.:|

but at 1/2 altitude my foot usually goes dead and I have to tap on the guy in front and ask if I can reshift my foot.

Have you tried quietly saying"I'm sorry but I think I just pulled your pilot chute (or pin or handle whichever is nearer your foot)" Then when they jump up to check it just get comfy. They will be the ones that seemed to disturb the peace.

To all the small girls, if you don't speak up then it is partially your fault. If you do speak up and they don't move tell a few guys who don't mind razzing others (you know who they are) and after enough public humiliation I am sure they will be more considerate.

For the most part I agree this is whiny b.s. that people need to get over. Protect your handles and get a pin check if you have any doubt.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

IN the sport 5 years with 500 jumps and a C liscence, and you are just now complaining about people leaning on you sheesh. If you want to have a nice ride to altitude buy your own plane and hire your own pilot.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

come on people, cut this guy some slack. after 500 jumps he's finally gotten all brand-spanking-new color-matching gear, suit, shoes & gloves and he doesn't want to get this really expensive state of the art stuff all soiled up by you

:P

The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle

dudeist skydiver # 666

Reading the responses here you can pretty much tell who is at a cessna DZ and who is not. Even when I felt like I was crushing the person behind me they said no it's fine.

So if you really are being squished then where exactly are they sitting? On your legs? On your balls? I know there are assholes in every sport but I can't imagine someone not trying to adjust if you ask them nicely.

-Michael

My personal fav is the boys who sit with their legs spread well over 90degrees. It's like their balls are sooo huge they simply can't get enough room.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Florida afternoons, my neptune says it's 104, crammed in a full plane, 200 lb. guy in front of me, another behind, sweat dripping down my face, sweaty handshakes all around ~ yeah! It's all good (til somebody farts!)

I don't like people getting in my space normally, not at the store or bank, etc. Eight of us jostling for couch space the other night watching skydiving videos when we realized we could just stack up like on the plane! It's part of what I love about skydiving: this is your family, squish in!

Just stay away from me under canopy:$

Seriously, if you sit up straighter, you fit on the plane better. If you lay way back like a slob, you're taking up other people's space. I agree with V, that's just plain rude. If I'm being squished, i tell the person.If they don't care, I move them.

I agree. Leaners make it hard to load a full aircraft because they take up far more space than people who sit up straight. I will also nicely ask a person who is leaning on me to sit up straight. Then if they don't, I will not nicely ask them. If people are taught to load the aircraft correctly, there is no reason to lean. An Otter with 23 jumpers on it is no place to be lounging.

I love the ride to altitude. I find it peaceful and use it as a time to focus and visualize. I don't notice or mind a little bit of platonic limb or torso contact with my neighbor. I've never felt like anyone was hurting me or making me uncomfortable. However, if I'm not comfortable, I adjust my body position in my seat, until I am comfortable.

The people sitting around us are most often those whom we are jumping with, so shouldn't it be easy enough to communicate to one another, if there are issues with comfort?

What happened to common courtesy?

Like doing your fellow jumper a solid by allowing him/her to lean back a bit so his head isn't in the ceiling?

What's funny is when we go out in public, forget our surroundings, and sit like that in a booth at a restaurant. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

forget our surroundings, and sit like that in a booth at a restaurant. :D

Blues,
Dave

But are you big spoon or little spoon? ;)

My thoughts: I try not to lean excessively on people - sometimes it can't be helped.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Like doing your fellow jumper a solid by allowing him/her to lean back a bit so his head isn't in the ceiling?

Ya know, I bump my head on the ceiling of your Caravan too. :S The straddle bench is maybe a touch high for us 6'+ folks. No worries, though.:)
Really looking forward to the September Let's-Freaking-Drive-to-Ritzville Boogie.B|

The people sitting around us are most often those whom we are jumping with, so shouldn't it be easy enough to communicate to one another, if there are issues with comfort?

Yes, I guess I'm just a bit shy about bothering people that are squishing me. :| It doesn't happen all the time but sometimes... I've had people take pictures of me all squished in the plane and my rig popping out at weird angles. :S[:/]

I tend to lean back a little, and then bend my knees.

If my legs are too straight, somebody invariably has their shoe in my shin, or an elbow on my thigh.
Bending my knees is self-preservation.

I hope that one day, I will have resolved everything else so that I can consider "leaning" to be a problem. :ph34r:

Currently, I am trying to overcome sweating and smelling bad, but Florida weather has the upper hand.
:)