NickDG

Why do some jumpers think its okay I have to be smiling in the jump plane?

GREAT POST! I enjoyed reading it very much. I concur with the others who said you should submit to Parachutist or write a book!

Oh, and I'd be a millionaire if I'd gotten a nickel for everytime someone told me to Smile! Freefall is Fun! Flips are Fun! Skydiving is Fun! Because I was a Cindy/Bob too! :P

"It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities." - A. Dumbledore

>Tempted to say you've been through hell today . . .

Not all that unusual a day at the Perris school. Dozens of straightforward jumps, a few great ones, a few ones that make you wonder if you're going to survive them.

But as an aside, the story he posted was from many years ago; a lot of those instructors haven't jumped there for a while.

great post Nick! Thank you.

You should submit it to parachutist

Too late. I hear they prefer stories that haven't been published before.

But if he puts it in a book full of compilations of jump stories collaborated by several long-time jumpers, such as Airtwardo, Billbooth, etc.. I sure as hell would buy it. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Nice post, Nick.
It's good to hear the inside stories from the steely-eyed professionals in the business.

I've heard military Flight Instructors describe their work as, "The only job in the military where the enemy is in the cockpit with you". ;)

Not all that unusual a day at the Perris school. Dozens of straightforward jumps, a few great ones, a few ones that make you wonder if you're going to survive them.

:D OMG so it is more common than I'd have thought ! :S I can't believe that student jumps don't cost a lot more than they already do! :D You couldn't pay me enough!

But as an aside, the story he posted was from many years ago; a lot of those instructors haven't jumped there for a while.

Ah! But still there's a handful in every barrel, huh? Thanks for the input Bill. :)
It's pretty pathetic when you have to TELL people you're fucking cool Skymama «narrative»This thread will lock in 3..2.. What a load of narrow-minded Xenophobic Bullshit!-squeak

Way back when I had a thought of changing my profession and becoming a professional skydiver... and then I thought again.

This way I can bitch about the frustrations of work and then relax jumping at various dropzones with various people and just enjoy. When you decide to make your fun into work, the probability is that at a certain point your work will be fun no more. When work becomes too frustruting I just sneak out of the office and jump for the rest of the afternoon. Skydiving is great fun to me and I will keep it this way. While I appreciate your comittment and lack of cynicism so very rare in an AFF instructor, I have to say you have yourself to blame. you should have kept skydiving a pastime and not a profession.
jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

>> I have to say you have yourself to blame. you should have kept skydiving a pastime and not a profession.
Yes, I understand not everyone would get what I was on about in that post. But I wasn't complaining about my lot as an Instructor. On the contrary, the unwritten side of that post was me going home that night and cracking a beer knowing I did some good. That's not a privilege everyone gets to experience day in and day out.

If you take anything away from what I wrote, please make it this. There are thousands of us skydiving instructors the world over, doing the same thing I wrote about, and doing it every day. And not for money or recognition. But just because they followed a calling. And then think were the sport would be without them . . .

NickD :)

>> I have to say you have yourself to blame. you should have kept skydiving a pastime and not a profession.
Yes, I understand not everyone would get what I was on about in that post. But I wasn't complaining about my lot as an Instructor. On the contrary, the unwritten side of that post was me going home that night and cracking a beer knowing I did some good. That's not a privilege everyone gets to experience day in and day out.

If you take anything away from what I wrote, please make it this. There are thousands of us skydiving instructors the world over, doing the same thing I wrote about, and doing it every day. And not for money or recognition. But just because they followed a calling. And then think were the sport would be without them . . .

NickD :)

:)I'll buy you a beer sometime ;)

what an inspiring post for all of us
please do a book
(I.C.D#2 VP)
""I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama