airtwardo

Miss you already big fella.

Ok, the pics got me crying. What a great thing to have a special friend like Bear. He looks like he was quite a character.

Hang in there, you were a good daddy to him and you'll always have your special memories. He had a good life, was well loved, and now has moved on to run free somewhere else.

*hugs* I'm so sorry to hear.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

You're giving me a special gift,
So sorrowfully endowed,
And through these last few cherished days,
Your courage makes me proud.

But really, love is knowing
When your best friend is in pain,
And understanding earthly acts
Will only be in vain.

So looking deep into your eyes,
Beyond, into your soul,
I see in you the magic, that will
Once more make me whole.

The strength that you possess,
Is why I look to you today,
To do this thing that must be done,
For it's the only way.

That strength is why I've followed you,
And chose you as my friend,
And why I've loved you all these years...
My partner 'til the end.

Please, understand just what this gift,
You're giving, means to me,
It gives me back the strength I've lost,
And all my dignity.

You take a stand on my behalf,
For that is what friends do.
And know that what you do is right,
For I believe it too.

So one last time, I breathe your scent,
And through your hand I feel,
The courage that's within you,
To now grant me this appeal.

Cut the leash that holds me here,
Dear friend, and let me run,
Once more a strong and steady dog,
My pain and struggle done.

And don't despair my passing,
For I won't be far away,
Forever here, within your heart,
And memory I'll stay.

I'll be there watching over you,
Your ever faithful friend,
And in your memories I'll run,
...a young dog once again.

Blue skies and green fields, BooBear.

Hugs, Jim. Remember the good stuff.
Owned by Remi #?

I'm very sorry for your loss. I, and many others, have experienced it too, from time immemorial.

Lord Byron said it very well, on the loss of his companion, a Newfoundland, in his Epitaph To A Dog, etched on the dog's stone monument:

"Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Abbey
Nov. 18, 1808. "

...etched on the dog's stone monument:

We have a house on some wooded acreage here in town.

I went out back, down by the big oak tree above the stream this afternoon to make sure nothing had disturbed Mr. Bear.

Without my knowing it, my youngest son had placed a wooden 'head stone' at the spot.

Carved and stained with care and love, it reads simply~

Rest in peace Mr. Bear
The best dog in the world.

...I couldn't make it back in to the house for over an hour. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Get two bags of sackrete, and a couple of boards to make forms.

Make a concrete lid to his resting place and put his DOB-DOD on it as well as anything else you would like to add, and the names of your family.

Most anyone in the world would revere that spot, and leave it be, as well as keeping the animals out of it.

Wow, great pictures :)
The best thing we can do for our four legged companions is to give them the best life possible, and when the time comes, the best death possible.

It sounds like you did very well on both accounts. This is the best we can do.

Here is an excerpt from an excellent essay on the relationship between humans and companion animals:

The cat that only yesterday was a kitten is all too soon old and frail and sleeping in the sun. The young pup of boundless energy wakes up stiff and lame, the muzzle now gray. Deep down we somehow always knew this journey would end. We knew that if we gave our hearts they would be broken. But give them we must for it is all they ask in return. When the time comes, and the road curves ahead to a place we cannot see, we give one final gift and let them run on ahead — young and whole once more.

“Godspeed, good friend,” we say, until our journey comes full circle and our paths cross again.

- The Journey", Crystal Ward Kent

Spending the night on the dog bed with the dog is a good way for both of you to be sure that you love each other, and for you to know what the next step is.

He trusted you, and you earned it.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

What a big, beautiful friend! I'm so sorry for your loss...I've been there, man. It's hard, for sure.
Sometimes loosing a pet can be more difficult than loosing a human family member.
Sounds like you enhanced his life as much as he did yours.
Take care.
"Don't let the bon-bons give you a fat ass. Merry X-mas!" - Skydemon2

Man, I didn't know bear died!:(:(

Sorry to hear it bro. Look on the bright side... if there's a doggy heaven, he'll have all the ice cubes he could ever dream of.

Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.