Butters

Olympic Sports

Where is Trampolining serious s**t?

(So I go online, look up a few videos on "Olympic Trampoline", ponder what I have seen, and return to reply to your post.)

Ok, ahem. I will admit that your point does stress MY point to its limits. In particular, MEN'S trampoline (along with mens field hockey) does make me shake my head a little.

But, these women (and men, sigh) do really get into it. So, I say, let 'em play.

PLUS, dude! Check out the legs on some of those ladies! Talk about the promise of power!

Elvisio "I'm glad you're having fun, but I can't breathe" Rodriguez

it's probably because I'm in to aerials in base jumping, but men's trampoline and men's power tumbling is absolutely sick. trampoline basically takes the aerials in power tumbling and ratchets it way up. sort of like in skateboarding you have half pipe and then the crazy big air ramps. olympic? don't really care. i just love to watch it.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

, and wondering when cricket will show up.

NEVER I hope, my GOD how boring would that be:|

Sure, but admit it, cricket is thiiiiiiis* much more exciting than baseball. And way more international for anyone over the age of 12.

(*Finger and thumb about 0.5cm apart, but then I'm sure everyone guessed that.)
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

I picked Equestrian and Modern Pentathlon (because it has an equestrian aspect). We should be limited to human endeavors.

Interesting idea of what a human endeavor is.

Controlling a horse is at least as difficult as controlling any other 2,000 pound mass; more so in that the object has a mind of its own you're also trying to control. It's not like the horse is doing all the work all by itself!

Give the greatest rider a shitty, broken-down horse; is he going to win? No.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

I picked Equestrian and Modern Pentathlon (because it has an equestrian aspect). We should be limited to human endeavors.

Interesting idea of what a human endeavor is.

Controlling a horse is at least as difficult as controlling any other 2,000 pound mass; more so in that the object has a mind of its own you're also trying to control. It's not like the horse is doing all the work all by itself!

Give the greatest rider a shitty, broken-down horse; is he going to win? No.

Not a totally relevant example. Riders compete on horses THEY have trained with, so the training of and with the horse prior to the competition plays a big part.
Also, I bet you that Lance Armstrong does not win a single Tour de France if riding a shitty, broken down bicycle. That does not mean bike riding is not a sport.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Give Phelps a pair of jeans and t-shirt instead of a suit... and even he isn't gonna win Gold anymore.

If everyone he is racing is dressed the same as him he would.:)
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Remember: just because we don't play a sport in the States (or wherever it is you may be right now) doesn't mean it isn't some serious shit somewhere else.

I didn't vote for any. I'm an Olympic romantic: it's all about people from all over the world getting together to compete. If they want to hand out medals for beerpong, that's fine with me.

Hey: beerpong, that might be my ticket to Olympic gold!

Elvisio "it's all good" Rodriguez

I absolutely agree. Admittedly I had my reservations about racewalking but after watching it for a few minutes last night I learned the racers are achieving 6 minute miles while walking. All while pushing the limits of their techinique for speed but not going so far as to be disqualified. I'm not exactly sure of the rules but I believe it has something to do with keeping one foot touching the pavement at all times.

Even while at my peak physical form while at USMC bootcamp I couldn't do 6 minute miles.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Soccer, wrestling and beach volleyball.

Because neither are sports.

Soccer and wrestling are pseudo religious cults in their countries of origin, and it's as much about money as about sportsmanship.

And beach volleyball? It's a bit like baywatch, and excuse to show scantily clad men and women on TV.

If they're including the above, they might as well include FS-4, freeflying, freestyle and canopy piloting.

And acrobatic and distance paraglider.

And Motor bike jumping.

And cutting and reining.

And Dressage on Fjord horses.

Those are sports!
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I'm guessing you're not a sports fan.

I am!

But I prefer doing sports to watching. Just like I prefer eating good food to watching food programs on TV.

And you'll have to agree: soccer, wrestling and beach volleyball aren't sports. Not really.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I'm guessing you're not a sports fan.

I am!

But I prefer doing sports to watching. Just like I prefer eating good food to watching food programs on TV.

And you'll have to agree: soccer, wrestling and beach volleyball aren't sports. Not really.

Nope....I disagree. Played soccer for 5 years as a kid. Then as a teen and young adult I played a lot of volleyball both beach and indoor. Competed in a hell of a lot of tournaments. Even managed to play on a travelling Open club indoor team for a couple years.

Volleyball is incredibly difficult to get good at indoor. Then you take it outdoors and you have to deal with mother nature. Specifically wind. Sometimes rain. Yep played a few beach tournaments in the rain.

I never wrestled mainly because the idea of putting on some small skin tight outfit and then rolling around on the floor with some other dude wearing the same thing never appealed to me. But just because it doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean it's not worthy of being called a sport. ;)
www.FourWheelerHB.com