BarbaraKobzik

Lawn mower and low opening

Sorry folks, nothing about low openings here - either boobs or low openings just seem the best way to make people read the post in this forum, could also have called it "lawn mower and boobs". Sorry for the disappointment.

I am looking for a tractor lawn mower, but have no idea what features are important and where to get the best value. I looked at the ones at Sears ("Craftsman") which looked reasonable. Does anybody have experience with these?
Any tip or hint would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Barbara

Barbara,

Half of the time spent in maneuvering a "tractor" type mower is eliminated in the zero radius mowers. By doing so you can cut at least twice as much lawn in the given amount of time. PLUS- they are really fun to drive.

jon

Yeah , the 60" was a little tough to maneuver around the propane tank and I had to be careful not to knock over the smoker and the still right behind it.

heard on the news you guys are going to get between 2 and 22 inches of rain, get your kayak out sister!!

Saw the video of the kite surfer, stupid should be painful.

Sorry folks, nothing about low openings here - either boobs or low openings just seem the best way to make people read the post in this forum, could also have called it "lawn mower and boobs". Sorry for the disappointment.

I am looking for a tractor lawn mower, but have no idea what features are important and where to get the best value. I looked at the ones at Sears ("Craftsman") which looked reasonable. Does anybody have experience with these?
Any tip or hint would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Barbara

Barbara,

Half of the time spent in maneuvering a "tractor" type mower is eliminated in the zero radius mowers. By doing so you can cut at least twice as much lawn in the given amount of time. PLUS- they are really fun to drive.

jon

If you have a big square yard with many long straight passes, a zero turn mower MIGHT be a burden because they are not all easy to make go in a straight line.

NOTE: there may exist zero turns that like to go straight but I have not been on one yet.

They are 'fun' in turns though!!! :)

Please forgive in advance zero(flat) turn readers, I PULL at 2k, sometimes disconnect my RSL, and do not use an AAD :P

Figger out what is most apropriate for your application, budget, skills and recommended wingloading.

An online subscription to Consumer Reports might provide an inexpensive 3rd opinion. Lots of service and cust. sat. data usually available.

YMMV

PULL!
jumpin_Jan
"Dangerous toys are fun but ya could get hurt" -- Vash The Stampede

to jumpin_Jan

Figger out what is most apropriate for your application, budget, skills and recommended wingloading.

Jon,

application: at the moment, I rather need some pond equipment, yesterday I watched birds eating fish in our garden - hope the damn rain eventually stops. If we ever will have a garden again: it is mainly wide, open grass, about 1 acre, 4 trees somewhere on the grass.
budget: we just bought a house, so what do you expect? (anybody wants to donate one? I can pm you the address where to deliver to)
skills: as much experience as in sheep-shearing or hunting grizzly bears - but as a German, I can drive! Will figure out.
wingload: think "Autobahn".

Thanks!
Barbara
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice.

Given your budget you're probably looking for something at or just above entry level. Given that, any one will be as reliable as any other. To get an better quality machine, you'll spend more. You can spend anywhere from almost $1000 to $4000+ for a riding mower. It all depends on features & (to a slightly lesser degree) quality.

I have a little more than an acre to mow with lots of curves & triangles. My lawn mowing is done with a 2005 John Deere X304. The all wheel steering is a disadvantage only when I'm doing my few long straight runs (any little steering input means a wiggle so if you're looking for dead-straight "lines" in the lawn, forget about it), & around inside curves. Doing around trees, along the outside wall curves, & when in a triangle area, the 4 wheel steering makes the job faster & easier. The 17 HP Kawasaki engine is quiet (quieter than the Briggs & Straton equivalent) & powerful enough. My biggest problem with it is keeping the deck clean. I have to pull it off & scrape it after every 3rd or 4th use otherwise build-up makes the cut uneven (I'll probably strip it down this winter & have it powder coated). You may not like the price though, $3500.

Here's a forum from a tractor board about lawn tractors: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/lawn-garden/ I suggest you look for the posts concerning "big box" mowers (there's much to read).

Strange, all I can find is a pic of my big mower...
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.