BarbaraKobzik

Lawn mower and low opening

Sorry folks, nothing about low openings here - either boobs or low openings just seem the best way to make people read the post in this forum, could also have called it "lawn mower and boobs". Sorry for the disappointment.

I am looking for a tractor lawn mower, but have no idea what features are important and where to get the best value. I looked at the ones at Sears ("Craftsman") which looked reasonable. Does anybody have experience with these?
Any tip or hint would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Barbara
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be important, but it's much more important to be nice.

Sorry folks, nothing about low openings here - either boobs or low openings just seem the best way to make people read the post in this forum, could also have called it "lawn mower and boobs". Sorry for the disappointment.

I am looking for a tractor lawn mower, but have no idea what features are important and where to get the best value. I looked at the ones at Sears ("Craftsman") which looked reasonable. Does anybody have experience with these?
Any tip or hint would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Barbara

Cub Cadet.

Get one with either the Koehler, or Vanguard motor.

It's Florida, so all flat. Most of it open grass, not too much landscaped stuff (yet... but I guess we will leave most of it plain grass without too much stuff in between). The grass is a about 1 acre.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got one of them Sears Craftsman riders... haven't had any problems with it at all in >3 yrs.

However... I really wish I would have gotten one of them zero radius turn types (I'd buy one now if I thought there was a chance in hell of the wifey not cutting my nuts off while I slept). Another thing to consider is the terrain... is it smooth or rough? The front axle assy on mine is the weak, welded type and I should have gotten the cast iron front axle assy as I think it's more durable...
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

With 1 acre to mow get the mower with the widest cut.

Yep, any solid brand will do-you won't have to spend money on bells and whistles-get a wide deck adn maybe some of the professionals here can be brand specific for you.
Oh, adn you need to talk to your instructors for the other thing:)
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

On an acre or less there really is no time saved by using a zero turn mower, add to that the increased expense, and that should help you decide,

Zero turns are fine for large lawns with lots of obstacles, but no so much for everything else.

Get a mower deck that will be around 46-48",

* As large as you can fit through a fence gate that you may have

Get a nice mulching deck, or just cover the chute, and make sure the blades are always sharp.

Go slowly, it is not a race.

Larger tires help you to not make ruts in the lawn when the soils are wet.

Hi Barb,
'Got a "Craftsman" riding mower, inherited it from my late mother-in-law. Works fine, just need to resharpen and balance the blades. Get some ear muffs (sound supressors) and a wide brimmed straw hat too.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

You're not getting off that easy. We demand a jump story containing both elements of a low opening and a lawn mower. You're not leaving here until you come up with one. Got it?

I'll start it for you: "No shit, there I was..."
You take it from there.

Most of the tractor type mowers out there are crap. Someone mentioned Cub Cadets, My neighbor has one that seems to have held up well.

I would go with some kind of zero turn mower. If you buy smart you should never have to buy another mower. Check into Gravely(sp), Exmark, Walker. They all make entry level commercial/ residential mowers. Spend a little more now ans stay happy for years.

Had a John Deere as a kid and it made too many trips to the shop. Sadly my yard is not big enough for a riding mower but my wifes grandfather cut lawns for extra money and he has a Husqvarna mower that never misses a beat and it gets a ton of use. They cost a little more but you get what you pay for.
The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Folks,

Thank you so much for all the good hints and the entertainment ! I really appreciate all your input, any additional hint would be really great.

Due to the hurricane in FL our plant is closed and I am "working" (well, a bit at least, probably as much as everybody who has time to answer here during daytime) from home. So far everything went well and I don't need a chain saw, all trees still look OK.

to shropshire:
Thanks a lot, I though about the sheep, and maybe a llama or alpaca, but then I need a tractor for poop collection, that stuff is not good as fertilizer. Or I get a cow, that is a better one to put it on the flowers and trees.

to warpedskydiver:
I looked at the Cub Cadet website, thank you for the hint, really looks interesting. Do you know where they would have any good deals on these?
What is your bad experience with the Craftsman?

to JohnRich:
Are we talking about my golf course landing during maintenance period ? ;-)

Thanks again,
Barbara

OH . . . THIS . . . is going to make John Rich a really happy camper . . ..

Heh - Guess I was right.:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

You're not getting off that easy. We demand a jump story containing both elements of a low opening and a lawn mower. You're not leaving here until you come up with one. Got it?

I'll start it for you: "No shit, there I was..."
You take it from there.

I think boobies would suffice as an apology as well.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

Bad experiences related to fixing many of my friends mowers.

I sold a cub cadet two years ago, the guy drove all the way from Virginia to get it, it was a 1972 Cadet 109;)

I had one problem with my current cadet, it had undersized rings, this did not cause a problem until the 8th year of use, parts cost $60 plus a couple of gaskets, once diagnosed.

Now keep in mind Cub Cadet did not manufacture those piston rings, but they manufacturer did make them for many brands, shit happens.

Now it runs so well it is like new, and revs very high, enough to much with just a standard deck, and a piece of wood covering the chute.

You get what you pay for, so buy something that will last.

Call the various dealers in your area, the end of summer is coming, and sales are really bad.

Pull a Henry Bivins on them, see who has a the best deal, and offer way less.

Then do not say a thing, just stare at them and make them very uncomfortable.

Those who knew Henry can attest to his bargaining prowess, he was amazing.

You need a John Deere with a wide deck, maybe 60" if you don't have alot of trees to go around.
When you get it, tell the salesman you will need a green John Deere hat,
get hubby to take a picture of you wearing the hat and sitting on the mower then send it to all your friends in Germany, oh yeah be holding a Budweiser too!!

Seriously, my family has owned several John Deere tractors and mowers over the years, the only one that broke was the one that had a tree fall on it, good maintenance is the key.

The Cub Cadets are also great machines, the only reason we never used them was the dealer network wasn't very good in our part of the world.

Hi Gordo,

So, you have good experience using a JD with 60" blade cutting grass around your trailer? Awesome, can you send me a picture of that?

At the moment, I rather should look for a powerful pump instead of a lawn mower - this morning I watched big birds eating fish in the driveway (= river). We got slammed pretty bad by the storm. Fortunately no injuries (except for one stupid kite surfer) or severe wind damage, but the flooding is pretty bad, and it still is pouring down. I tell you, all the dropzones in the area will have one huuuuge swoop pond this weekend.

Send some sunshine!
Barbara