bigway

Christina Applegate- Double masectomy

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2008-08-19-applegate-mastectomies_N.htm

I feel terrible for any woman who has to go through this. It must be a bit more aweful for this girl considering her breasts are what more or less made her famous. She made her livelyhood from people staring at her breasts and now has to live without them. Must be mentally killing her. Big decision, i hope it all goes well for her.

Before anyone is a smart ass about it as they usually are on this site when it comes to celebrities take a moment to think about how this is a very serious issue for all females and must be a very hard choice for them to live with.

She not only made the choice of health over vanity but also released the news to the world and has taken on a position as a role model for all woman in this situation. I applaud her.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

She's going to go through about 8 months of reconstructive surgeries. I heard she was joking about it saying that at least she'll have a nice rack when she's 80. That she'll have the nicest boobs in the entire nursing home. :D:D

She jokes out of mental anguish. :| It's a survival skill.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Most woman are left with no breasts and just a scar. they usually have an exterior fake padding to put in their bra.

Not all can afford implants. Implans i can not imagine would be covered under health inssurance.

So yes, they are left with no breasts.

Sounds like christina will have reconstructive surgery and i imagine that is a hell of a lot more intense than just having implants so would cost a fortune.

Either way, right now she does not have any breats and that must be devastating to her emotional well being.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

no doubt, thats pretty harsh.

didn't even cross my mind that insurance wouldn't flip the bill for that.

that is typical insurance bullshit though they will cover just enough to leave you all gimp and shit

and broke [:/]

She's brave. Money or not. :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

She jokes out of mental anguish. It's a survival skill.

IMO, that doesn't make the joke not funny. Part of the benefit of joking to cope with the anguish is making people laugh and smile.

I feel terrible for any woman who has to go through this. It must be a bit more aweful for this girl considering her breasts are what more or less made her famous. She made her livelyhood from people staring at her breasts and now has to live without them. Must be mentally killing her. Big decision, i hope it all goes well for her.

Assuming that at 36 years old she still relies on her breasts for her self-esteem and feeling of worth is selling her short.

Perhaps she has gotten over the idea of forever thinking that her breasts make her what she is. Perhaps she's matured and come to understand that fleeting youthful appearance and sex appeal are not a solid foundation, since they can disappear in an instant. That's why I respect her.

I'm not discounting that what you raised is a tremendous issue that confronts any woman who has to go through that, but I want to give Ms. Applegate credit for being deeper than just someone who thinks, "My breasts are gone, so my life is over."

Like you, I applaud her.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

With the BRCA mutation though she honestly has even more to think about.....She will likely be making a decision on an oopherectomy once the breast issue is done.
There are several reasons for that:
1. Association between breast cancer and ovarian cancers
2. If hers is an estrogen driven cancer, removing the ovaries help with preventing recurrance.

So not only will she be considering having the external symbol of "womanliness" removed, but the internal ones as well.

It's a tough situation and I admire the strength of character of all that have to make that decision.

If I were her, I would have at least tried to fight the cancer. Mastectomy (and notice I took the time to spell it correctly) should only be used as a last resort.

She went too far too soon, in my opinion. Having a genetic predisposition doesn't dictate the desecration of your body.

The genetic predisposition can increase your chance of having breast cancer to 84% (I got that from USA Today this morning, so it must be true). Those are pretty lousy odds. It's not a stupid decision; it's one she made about her body.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I feel terrible for any woman who has to go through this. It must be a bit more aweful for this girl considering her breasts are what more or less made her famous. She made her livelyhood from people staring at her breasts...

And now she'll find out who here real friends truly are, and which ones were only interested in her tits. While what has happened to her is a horrible thing, this could be a silver lining in her gray cloud.

I've always wondered how women with big tits separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, and filter out which guys are interested in them only for their tits, and which ones really care about them as a person.

Input is needed here from women with big tits...

Got to disagree here.
Why try to fight it with poisons, and radiation therapy?
That will desecrate the body MUCH more then the decision she made. (IMHO)

Doug.

:|

Unfortunately, she'll probably also have to go through radiation and chemo, but the surgery gives her much better long term odds.

It wasn't just her tits that made her hot. She'll still be a good-looking woman with or without them.

Absolutely.

But how many guys that wanted to bed her before, will now no longer express interest in her, and run the other way?

Those that still stick around in her life, are the ones that are keepers. The others, were never really her true friends anyway.