cocheese

high dive (pool) questions

What is the rag for? they carry it everywhere like a security blanket.

How do they practice? do they wear protection?

How common are screw ups/injuries/smakers?..and what injuries are most common?

Would air bubbles coming up from below make it safer? (i know about surface tension)

Wrist braces? why not a frap hat?

keep water/sweat off hands/feet.

trampoline with a twisting belt attached to rigging above them with a spotter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pzLGPCeymg like that but with much higher tension trampolines

very uncommon. usually hitting the springboard or platform.

Would air bubbles coming up from below make it safer? (i know about surface tension)

yes, you'd also need to make the pool deeper

it's very very rare to hit the head before the hands have broken the water's surface tension. the hands will always hit first and at those forces you can sprain your wrist pretty easily if your wrist is cocked when you hit the water.
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

It's a shammy to dry off between dives.

They practise on trampoline and in the pool. No protection.
At least when I was diving 20 something years ago.

Screw ups are common when learning new dives. I made my back bleed when I was learning back 2 1/2 on 3m springboard.
Other common injuries are wrist and shoulder related.
Then there are the board strikes that can really hurt.

They do use bubble machines when training on tower( 10m)
and some pools have them for 3m also.
I used one at the swimming hall of fame pool in Ft. Lauderdale Fl.
when we went for Christsmas training/drinking camp. It was pretty cool, but you always went to the bottom on every dive. It was a deep pool.

Never used them, didn't have wrist problems.
Frap hat? Really now, that's pretty lame.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

make sure you're arms are directly in line with your head when you enter the water. that sounds like your head is hitting offset from where your hands are, which can be caused by not entering the water vertically or arching your body/arms (most likely the cause). are your hands almost touching when they enter the water?
A waddling elephant seal is the cutest thing in the entire world.
-TJ

I'm landing on my feet from now on.:D

I tried going head first off the high dive platform. I don't have to tell you how that went. Nevertheless, I never tried it that way again. B|

Feet first and arms tucked in tight all the way is the only way I'm going off the fucking high dive platform.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My question is - why do they shower afterward?

I mean, not that I mind it. I rather enjoy the sight of showering women (or even a groups of three or more in a hot tub).

But I just wonder why.

At the olympics? They do it to get warm. Pool's cold. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My question is - why do they shower afterward?

I mean, not that I mind it. I rather enjoy the sight of showering women (or even a groups of three or more in a hot tub).

But I just wonder why.

I coach swimming and when you pretty much live in the pool Chlorine can kill your skin. It gets dry and burns like the worst of STDs. Showering just washes the crap off of you.
~El Josh AKA Ruby
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

I think I would rather have the surface tension. I imagine it would be harder to surface, or swim, without the tension to provide you support.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

The rag is a chamois cloth, just like what you would dry your car with.

I'll never forget the injury one of our divers had when I was going to LSU. She hit the water wrong after doing a 10M dive, and ended up bursting a blood vessel in her eye. Her eye was so red and swollen for a couple of weeks and her face was so bruised it looked like she had been in a bar fight. Water can hurt!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I think I would rather have the surface tension. I imagine it would be harder to surface, or swim, without the tension to provide you support.

Um. . .never mind. :$ I just saw some recaps on the high dives. the pool has two air devices on the bottom of the pool on either side of where the divers hit the water.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I don't know about air coming up from the bottom, but there is usually a fountain type device that's essentially splashing the surface near the target entry area. That's mostly so the diver can see it, not to make the water any "softer".

I hear this all the time regarding falls/jumps into water. Take a pan of water and press your hand down onto it. It is barely noticeable. That's all the surface tension you are going to get; the water doesn't how fast you are going when you hit. You get hurt because you hit something dense and incompressible.

People talk about breaking the surface tension. The surface tension does fluctuate on the level of water molecules, but on a timescale that matters to a diver, it is effectively always there, ready to go. Ironically, surface tension is at a maximum on freshly formed surface (for example where
something just struck the waters surface or where a bubble has burst) and decreases as the oils, detergents and crap have a chance to diffuse to the surface.

Airbubbles make it easier because they make the water less dense which lessens the impact a bit, and make it compressible, which helps a lot.