bigway

Hip Dysplasia

I would really like to ask a question and am only looking for answers from people who have dogs please.

The reason i am not wanting opinion from people who are not dog owners or would never want a dog is because i dont want your opinions to interfer with my very hard decision. very hard decision.

Dog owners love their dogs and i would like opinions from those people that love dogs, not people that dont have the time of day for dogs.

Please respect my wishes as this question is a very serious question to me about killing two of my very young puppies that mean the world to me and my partner.

Alright, so as from the previous thread, I have now found out that both dogs have it in both legs.
Each leg is going to cost $5000aud each and they can have a TPO before they are 1 year old. that gives me 2 months to get at least one leg done per dog. That will be a total price of $10,000aud for one leg each plus around $600 a year for medical treatment plus 5 months of intensive home care.

The in a year or two we would have to do the other leg on eachdog, this we would have to settle for THR as they will be too old for TPO. (i think it is called TPO).

The total price just fro the operations will be $20,000 plus expenses.

Should i put my dogs to sleep seeing i have only had them 10 months. I do not look at them like dogs, i look at them like part fo my family and we run our lives around our dogs, walking them, feeding them, swimming with them, everything.

Should i spend the money on them?

I can not afford it but i can get a bank loan, however this bank loan would be for $40,000 to cover our other debts and then me and my partner would be paying it off over the next 7 years with at least quater of our combined income every month.

What do i do?

I have never been faced with such a hard decision before, NEVER... I really hope nobody else has to go through this, it is such a terrible thing.

Thanks, and for those of you who dont have dogs and wanted to comment but did not, I thank you very much for your understanding. I am just looking for dog owners opinions as i am going to seriously consider every comment from every dog owner i hear from and dont want to get their opinions mixed up with those people that have not adopted a dog before or loved a dog as a family member.

Thanks, This is very serious to me.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Damn, I don't wish that decision on anyone.

I don't have any advice for you. I don't think I would be able to put my dog down but i don't think I would be able to spent that kind of money on him.:(

Unfortunately, I fear that your decision is already made fo ryou.

Have you ever thought about pet insurance?
(sorry, I know that it wouldnt be covered now but for future pets)

My photos

My Videos

OF course pet insurance, but hip dysplacia is something that the dogs are born with so very rarely even plans that do insure for it would pay out for it.

MY decision is not made yet. I can always do one leg for the dog that has it sever in one leg and then just do medical management. The thing is dont know what is best for my dogs.

This is a decision that i dont want to think about and am trying very hard not to but i just end up fooling myself. I need to make this desicion very fast. If i spend $5000 on one now but then dont want to spend the rest, maybe i should just put them down to begin with? I dont know. I just dont have a fucking clue and it is very painful to try and figure this out.

I wish i could just be cold and put them both down, get two new dogs and never think of them again.... but i cant.

Warnign for any person ever going to adopt a pet from the adoption center, make sure you get their hips xrayed. I feel so sorry fo the other people who adopted from this litter as they too will have to go through this. Xray your dogs people before you adopt them cause this decision if you ever have to face it will change your life. A $20,000 pet bill is a bill that most people will be paying off many years to come, putting your dogs down, you will never forget that moment either.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

what would the quality of life be for these dogs after the surgeries? would they be able to run, walk, swim at 100% for the rest of their lives? What would you want done if you were their paws?

I'd probably struggle too, but I'd put them down if they suffer a loss in quality of life.

Well it sounds like TJ does not need it for time to come. You would not know he suffers from it at the moment. Now is the best time to get it fixed though as you can not have a TPO after they are a year old.

Tilly, she has it sever in one leg and needs it urgent, quality of life will be very bad for the first 5 months for her and for me but after that she should be great, however we then have to go and get her other leg done at some point..maybe.

We may have to go and get the other dogs legs done as well as he has it but not severe.

Putting them down is coming more and more of an options and that saddens me.

Fuck, i wish i was not in this position. I would rather it be me who is injured as i can make decisions for me but making them for another sole is what i am finding hard to deal with.

How do i go from having two playful dogs in my front yard and in my home to having none?

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Bigway, my heart and tears go out to you right now.

You probably know (if you've seen my posts here) that I LOVE my doggie very much. If you don't, you need to know that I DO. He's my little baby. And yes, they become a part of your family from DAY ONE when you love them that much. And they should. How can you not love a sweet furry fella that thinks you're god.

BUT I have NO idea what to tell you right now. You have to do what's right for you. And for your puppies.

I wish I had an answer for you. But it's your decision. Do the best you can do. And know that they appreciate your best. Hell, puppies appreciate you at your WORST.

My hugs are here for you. And I'm so sorry you have to make this decision.

Give your pups a nice scratch from me. And tell them Herc said howdy. He likes dogs.
'Shell

I take it you have had dogs before....perhaps they died of natural causes. As tough as it was to lose them that way, it will be just as tough this time around, whenever that may be. But I'm sure you healed the first time and you will heal this time too.And find joy in getting new best friends all over again(and probably a more educated for the long term health )

I have two dogs, they are a lot of fun, and I love them, BUT, at the point where I have to mortgage my home just to keep them breathing, they are going to go bye-bye.

Personally, I think it's rather selfish to keep some pet alive, who is in a miserable state of health, just to put off the day of finality, which you know is coming.
In nature, the animal would have been long dead.

Royd - Hip dysplasia is not a killer. *shaking head* Would you put down your mom (or SO or child or....) 'cause they got arthritis, broke a hip, etc.?

Bigway, you know I love animals...dogs...cats...(some people <-- please laugh at that comment 'cause it was meant to have you laugh as you do need a laugh). Hell....I'm going to put myself over $250,000 USD (at this time) in debt to become their doctor.

I can't tell you what to do. What you need to consider is quality of life. Yes, it is expensive to do the surgery and health care for the pup(s) for the rest of their life. What did your vet tell you that their quality of life will be after the surgery? The decision that you must make now should be dictated by what is best for your little ones. You are "dad."

Your decision sounds like it's immediate for one pup but a little bit more delayed for the second one. You don't have to decide for both right now from the sounds of it.

I wish I could help with the decision, but it's the hardest one that pet owners have to make on their own.

Know I'm sending you international *hugs* and snuggles for your little ones.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Bigway, I know decisions like this can be VERY tough. I recently had to spend a large amount of money on one of my dogs as well. I have a redbone hound and i was told by the vet that she had hip dysplasia at a very young age. I elected to not have the surgery(s) done. She is now 9 and sometimes has a little trouble getting up first thing in the morning but otherwise has led a wonderful life chasing rabbits, deer, raccoons, and all sorts of other animals through the brush as well as being my companion on virtually every hunting trip. Large dogs, and certain breeds commonly have this condition. My understanding is that it does nothave to be/ isn't always life threatening. I don't know how anyone of us could tell you the right thing to do with your pets, just thought i would share my decision and the results so far. She is laying at my feet as i type this and as i look at her and think of all the fun we have had over the years, i am so thankful that i had her around.:)
Jeff

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Yeah, i have had many dogs but never a brother and sister before. They have never been put down or died at this early an age either. That is what makes this so hard.

If they have the surgery and it fixes them, and their vet believes that their quality of life will be near normal (even with meds or physical therapy), I'd go for the surgery.

If they are going to be in pain for the rest of their lives even with the surgery, I'd monitor their current quality of life, and consider putting them down when the bad days outnumber the good.

I am so sorry that you are faced with this decision. That is one incredibly large amount of money to spend on anything. I sure know how you feel about your pets being family. As you know my wife and I had to put our Jazz to sleep just under 2 weeks ago. It was very hard choice to make but it was the right one. I sure wish that I had the answere for you but I don't. As they are under a year old you can look at it 2 ways. You are attached to them but not nearly as much as you would be several yrs down the road, but on the other hand if you do put out the money they have a long life ahead. I know that that kind of money would be very hard for my wife and I to come up with so as much as I would hate to do it we would have to go with putting them to sleep. I sure wish you had more options. One way to look at it is that you gave them a good life up until now. I don't think anyone would condemn you for making the hardest decision. Again I'm deeply sorry that you are faced with this. :(

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Royd - Hip dysplasia is not a killer. *shaking head* Would you put down your mom (or SO or child or....) 'cause they got arthritis, broke a hip, etc.?

Let's be honest here. He's got a 1 yr. old pup with a serious mobility problem. He's talking about dropping thousands to possibly solve the problem.
Let's hope that, as a vet, you'll advise with common sense trumping emotion. Unless, of course, part of your job is to get as much money as possible from the customer.
I've seen people drop thousands on an animal in the last coulple of years of its life. It's not about the animal at all, it's about the persons' emotional attachment to that animal.

I say, if they truly loved that animal, they'd set it free from its pain and misery, instead of spending two years changing animal diapers.

Who was that race horse? Barbarosa? that they probably dropped hundreds of thousands on, after it broke its leg, only to end up putting it down.

I think the old cowboys had it right.

Let's be honest here. He's got a 1 yr. old pup with a serious mobility problem. He's talking about dropping thousands to possibly solve the problem.
Let's hope that, as a vet, you'll advise with common sense trumping emotion. Unless, of course, part of your job is to get as much money as possible from the customer.
I've seen people drop thousands on an animal in the last coulple of years of its life. It's not about the animal at all, it's about the persons' emotional attachment to that animal.

I say, if they truly loved that animal, they'd set it free from its pain and misery, instead of spending two years changing animal diapers.

Who was that race horse? Barbarosa? that they probably dropped hundreds of thousands on, after it broke its leg, only to end up putting it down.

I think the old cowboys had it right.

First off...getting into veterinary medicine is kinda like opening a dropzone. If you want to make $1 million, you'd better start with $2 million. This is a field that people get into because they love animals that much not 'cause they hope they'll get rich. I see the vets I work with every day giving away services or discounting them to ensure that a person's pet is taken care of appropriately...sometimes in the $1,000's of dollars worth.

Second off...Even as a vet, it is not my decision to make. As a vet (once I become one) and as a PetNurse (currently), my responsibility is and will be to make sure that the parents have as much information as they need to make the decisions that are right for them. It is my responsibility to say "Here's what can/can not be done," "Here's what you can/can not expect," etc. After that, my responsibility is to answer all questions as impartially as possible. I can not and will not influence a person's decision in this kind of a matter.

What my personal thoughts/decisions would be are not what is right for someone else. They have to look at their pet...their "baby" and make that decision. I can not do it for them.

There are many people who say "Oh, I'll put the pet down 'cause it'll cost $200 for ______ (fill in the blank)." There are others that will say "I don't care what it will cost, do what you can to save them." Each person has to live with their decision and make it.

You do not know what Bigway's vet has told him that the pups quality of life will be, success rate, etc. There are many dogs that live long and healthy lives after the type of surgery that Bigway is contemplating. The issue is what will be the pups quality of life. And that is a decision that only Bigway and his partner can make with his vet answering all questions that Bigway has.

Also...one thing for you to notice - and it's not a slam against you or others that think this way - look at how you refer to Bigway's pup - "...if they truly loved that animal..." vs. how he refers to his pup - "...I do not look at them like dogs, i look at them like part fo my family..." Notice the difference?

Edited to add: Where in the world did diapers come into things? :S
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

We used to have Newfoundlands and that is a breed that is prone to HD. Now they OFA certify hips on some of the breed, and if I were going to get another Newfie, that is something I would request from the breeder. That aside, the dog could still have the disease, but you would be given a new pup to replace the one that would have to be put down. Once again a heart wrenching thing to have to go thru.
We have had various degrees of problems with dog hips, one of our current buddies has a really tough time in bad winter months. We have a prescription for Vioxx that we give her sparingly during those bouts. She is about 11 years old now, so it has been a decent response to her situation. There have been about 4 or 5 years of this kind of treatment. My sister had a Golden with Dysplasia that had a broken leg at one point. The dog had very severe walking challenges, and swung the left leg way outside and around in order to walk. Funny looking and painfully obvious when she came running/limping up the drive to meet you. However, she lived to a ripe old age of about 12, with a moderate amount of discomfort, until she got so bad that she had to be put down. My sister had a chiro do adjustments for about the last 3 or 4 years and it was amazing the results that the dog had.
Swimming with your dogs? They are really lucky to have you Bigway, this is probably one of the best things for them. Gentle excercise that helps to build up muscle tone, and is easy on the joints.
I have spent incredible amounts of money on my animals, but the days of borrowing money for animal care are behind me. I wish you well in your tough decision.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Let's be honest here. He's got a 1 yr. old child with a serious mobility problem. He's talking about dropping thousands to possibly solve the problem.
Let's hope that, as a Dr, you'll advise with common sense trumping emotion. Unless, of course, part of your job is to get as much money as possible from the customer.
I've seen people drop thousands on an child in the last couple of years of its life. It's not about the childat all, it's about the persons' emotional attachment to that child.

I say, if they truly loved that child, they'd set it free from its pain and misery, instead of spending two years changing ...diapers.....I think the Spartans had it right.

edited for proper perspective...those who believe there is a difference haven't been around the world enough times.

all that matters is what you are willing to do for those you care about... nothing else is important at all..

It's not about the animal at all, it's about the persons' emotional attachment to that animal.

Actually that is not it at all.

It is the emotional atatchment the dogs brother has to her.

Also, she will not be in a life of pain. She will be in 3 months of pain.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Let's be honest here. He's got a 1 yr. old child with a serious mobility problem. He's talking about dropping thousands to possibly solve the problem.
Let's hope that, as a Dr, you'll advise with common sense trumping emotion. Unless, of course, part of your job is to get as much money as possible from the customer.
I've seen people drop thousands on an child in the last couple of years of its life. It's not about the childat all, it's about the persons' emotional attachment to that child.

I say, if they truly loved that child, they'd set it free from its pain and misery, instead of spending two years changing ...diapers.....I think the Spartans had it right.

edited for proper perspective...those who believe there is a difference haven't been around the world enough times.

all that matters is what you are willing to do for those you care about... nothing else is important at all..

Well said.

Actually very well said.

Those with pets would, I hope, feel this way too.

Mine are my kids. And I'd do anything for them.

Bigway, you have a tough decision to make. But it's YOUR decision. Hugs to you right now. And big ass scratches and cuddles to the furry ones from me. And if you feel the need for big ass scratches, you can have some too! :)
'Shell

If the vet says she has a good chance of living a happy life after the surgery & recovery, then I would do the surgery. My old friend's lab had hip dysplasia. They did the surgery when she was a pup and she recovered rather well. Walking around the house a bunch after a month, trotting around in the yard and chasing things shortly thereafter.

She was certainly in pain after the surgery, but it was funny later on: she would limp when you were watching her but if she didn't think you were around, she'd run around the place with no limp. Then as soon as she saw you she'd immediately stop and limp up to you and beg for treats...she was playing them like a fiddle!

I volunteer for a Golden Retriever rescue group and they will do hip dysplasia surgeries on the goldens that come in and need it. I just saw a few of them last weekend and they are all doing so well! One got adopted...she's a sweetie and just needs a couple more weeks of being pampered.

If your dog will not recover well and will be in pain the rest of her life, then I would do the humane thing and put her down once the pain is so bad. I'm sure it is a tough decision...I would just ask friends and a few vets what they think the outcome will be like given her age, size, current health, etc.

Unfortuately I think you're the only one who can answer your question. However . . .

When my dog had a degeneration of one of her eyes I spent a couple thousand trying to save it, then another couple thousand having the eye removed. After having the eye removed she was much happier because she was free from the pain. Brandy has since passed and the money I spent on her was well worth it. She was a loving companion and my life was better for having her in it. I would have spent my last dollar on her.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

So very true...and more than true...it's life. All the money in the world won't replace the little lick to the face after a long day at the DZ, welcoming you home, saying I love you.

TripleF

"Upon seeing the shadow of a pigeon, one must resist the urge to look up."

Fuck i wish my dogs would stop trying to lick me constantly. I would pay all the money in the world for them to just stop that.

How are they doing, BTW??

Better yet, how are ALL of you doing???

Did you look into the Elk Velvet I mentioned in your other thread? You said that they won't touch food with glucosamine/chondroitin in it. Elk Velvet has, apparently, the same healing effects as that does. My friend's puppy dog LOVED it. But I'm not sure if it's just an "Alberta" thing (since we have lots of elk farms).

:)
'Shell

I haven't read all the replies, but I just wanted to let you know. I grew up with a goldern retriever that was born with Hop Dysplasia. The doctor said that there was a chance that she'd be okay for while. We took our chances, since getting the surgery done was quite expensive. She lived for 12 years. Granted the hip issue was PART of her problem when she died, but she had a good life, and you would have knever known that she had that as an issue.

It's a tough call. I can't imagine putting them to sleep, but i understand your concern...

CReW Skies and good luck,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM