Nicknero1405

First Cutaway with only a little over 100 jumps

DvK

Every jumped a Sabre 2? :P

If a Sabre2 doesn't open naturally most of the times, and by most of the times I mean almost every time, either you need to learn how to pack it, or you need to fix it.
As I said, you have a problem with it.

sundevil777

I had a paraflite astrobe that i believe would not open unless I popped the brakes. It got me in the habit of grabbing brake handles very quickly.

See "generally speaking".

What I said it's clear: on a "normal", common, current canopy, the ones jumped nowadays and built in the last two decades or so, this should not be necessary. If you consistently (again, notice consistently, of course it might happen every so often) need to do weird maneuvers on opening like pumping brakes, grabbing toggles etc. you have a problem. We shouldn't be doing it. Those are all operations meant at fixing occasional problems, they should not be your "normal opening procedure". Stop.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Pobrause

******Just throwing it out there, pulling on rears (constantly, non pumping) can also 'stall' an opening, i.e. make it "snivel forever". Hard to do on big canopies, but possible.
And quite fun to do, if intentional and controlled.

I am sure this will happen anyway, but make sure a good rigger inspects your main before putting it together. Generally speaking and for the type of canopies we jump, there should be no reason to pump the rears to make a canopy open, if you need that, then you already have a problem.

Yes and in a couple of different sizes.
A Sabre2 should not require any input to open. If yours does, get it checked out, linetrimm measured...
I'm not talking about endcell closure here. That is pretty much normal on any canopy with a low WL.

The only canopy I know of that requires some amount of rear riser input to open somewhat normal is a Skylark Scirocco.

Opens fine, but slider is somewhat hesitant to come fully down. Not just with me, was more obvious with people who loaded it lightly.

Di0

If a Sabre2 doesn't open naturally most of the times, and by most of the times I mean almost every time, either you need to learn how to pack it, or you need to fix it.

Same as I wrote aboven, and I can assure you it wasn't packjobs. Also, sorry to disappoint you, but I didn't have any problems with it :D

The slider has been replaced by a slightly bigger one BUT has two holes made into it to release wind pressure on it and making it come down faster. They said it's a common "fix" against hesitant sliders.
I got to test it out twice and both openings were perfectly fine. Roughly about 500-800ft which is normal.

However I broke my arm on a completely unrelated accident (fell over and caught myself with my arms) so I'm going to be stuck to the ground for a month or two. :S

Di0

Well my Sabre 2 opens pretty slow and needs a little help. Have had since new and still behaves the same way after 70 odd jumps. WL1.2 on a 170.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvjyEYFQNUo

And Nick - sorry to hear about the arm. See you back in the air soon!

Nicknero1405

The slider has been replaced by a slightly bigger one BUT has two holes made into it to release wind pressure on it and making it come down faster. They said it's a common "fix" against hesitant sliders.
I got to test it out twice and both openings were perfectly fine. Roughly about 500-800ft which is normal.

However I broke my arm on a completely unrelated accident (fell over and caught myself with my arms) so I'm going to be stuck to the ground for a month or two. :S

A little clarification, so you after the slider hang-up and cutaway had the slider replaced?

Or are you saying the slider had previously been replaced before the hang-up/cutaway?

If its the 2nd option then I would send your canopy back to the factory and have them evaluate for airworthiness specifically looking at the slider. Why would you want a bigger slider? This slows the slider from coming down, usually this is remedy to fix hard openings....and then at the same time have two holes in it? Which is a remedy to speed up the slider? It sounds to me like someone put on a slider and they didn't know what they were doing and now you've had to chop because of it.

I wouldn't jump it until you have it evaluated by the manufacturer, the slider shouldn't hang up for no reason. Plus there is no reason not to do it since you have broken arm and at the same time might as well have them check the lines and see if they need replacing.

Are Triathalons known for hard openings? Does anyone else have modified a slider on their Triathalon?

When I first started doing video for my crw dogs in 2006 we experimented with trying to get my canopy(triathlon 135) to open faster right out of the door. One of the first things we tried(one of the crw dogs was and still is my rigger) was to put a mesh slider on it. OUCH!!! even with the pilot giving us a good "cut" it smacked the piss out of me. My camera went salt and pepper snow storm for a moment but you could hear me in the video get the breath knocked out of me. When I got on the ground and took my rig off I had bruise marks on my chest and shoulders from the main lift web and shit canned that idea. Since then for crw jumps I dont roll the nose, only roll the tail twice, and only single wrap my stowes, and it does just fine. Just for GP for this thread I replaced my pilot chute on that rig with a new and smaller pilot chute,about 2 years ago, but did not replace the BOC. The older pilot chute was little bigger so it fit in the BOC tighter, and the new pilote chute was new ZP and slickery, so both things combined gave me a premature deployment while in a sit fly and it still took 500 ft to open and did not hurt and have it on video( i had my rigger replace the BOC immediately after that jump) and I had used my usual freefall packing techniques. With out looking at the gear its hard to say whats going on, could be slider, could be packing techniques, not sure but I think my slider is stock, it came with the canopy when I bought it in 2005 and had 200 jumps on it.

To those suggesting pumping brakes, you should pump rears (and he did) not brakes. This is a high speed snivel not a slider hung up a couple of feet above his risers.

As your lines wear they can slow your slider down a bit and cause a delay in your opening. That might explain why this has begun to happen. If it's inconsistent well... I guess you have a dilemma because sniveling has solutions like mesh sliders but if it's sniveling AND slamming... oh what to do. Check line trim, get a reline, get a new canopy.

Chopping at 2k is fine I guess but I've seen entire loads exit at 2k. Maybe I'm getting old.

I have two Triathlons, a 190 and a 210. Been jumping them for many years. They open a bit slower than other canopy types I have jumped but I've never had any experience like the ones our original poster experienced. Just another data point.

2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.