skymama

Questions about bring a new cat into the house

We're going to the shelter this weekend to get a new cat to keep our current cat, Phoebe, occupied during the day. Phoebe is getting fat (we already restrict her diet), and my theory is that a new cat might get her off her ass during the day for some exercise.

Phoebe has been the queen bee around here for 6 years, so I'm a little worried about her accepting a new friend. She's fine at my Mom's house when she's around her cat, but I'm not so sure how it will be at her own house. One article I read said we should get a young male. Anyone know if it really matters that much? How do I keep Phoebe from eating the new cat's food? I am not exaggerating when I say Phoebe's whole life revolves around when she is going to be fed. I'd swear she was a dog in a past life!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Yeh a very young male would get on OK. Just make sure they have their own seperate toys as well as ones to share.

As for feeding put 2 plates down near each other, 1 for him 1 for her. Sure she will probably finish before him, and may try to bully in on his food. He will porbably make it clear to her, that it is HIS food. But if he does not then just gently let her know yourself.

By the way. I did something similar a few years back for a member of the family. She had a female cat (Sophie) who was totally food orientated and well, FAT. We got a young tabby male who was very lively. Sophie played with him for a while but eventually she was content to just sit and watch him play. Now she is bigger than ever.

In fact its worse now, cos the male has grown up and goes out catches stuff and brings it back for her to eat. :S:D

I call her JABBA.:D:D

BP
:)

Sophie played with him for a while but eventually she was content to just sit and watch him play. Now she is bigger than ever.

Oh great, so much for my smart idea!
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Sophie played with him for a while but eventually she was content to just sit and watch him play. Now she is bigger than ever.

Oh great, so much for my smart idea!

Yeh but think how happy it will make her.

Rather than just being food orientated, now she will be able to have a meal and a show. B|:D

BP
:)

Young male KITTEN, not adult.

Introduce them on neutral territory, like your mom's house. I introduced Ani to Indy at my parents' place, and then when I got them home, they were playing together with no issues at all.

When you get the new kitty, go straight to the vet for a leukemia and FIV test. You don't want him to bring anything home that could make your cat sick.

You may need to separate them for a couple of days (or weeks). Eventually, they will work it out. Don't force them to have contact. If your cat wants to hide under the bed and sulk, let her. Give the kitten his own area if necessary and let them sniff each other through the door. Make sure you give the bulk of your attention to your cat and pretty much ignore the kitten for the first few weeks, because your cat needs to know that the kitten isn't taking her place.

Edited to add: Help your cat get more exercise. Put her food up on the counter or a table where she has to jump up to get it, and get some interactive cat toys (the feather on the fishing pole is a good one) and play with her for an hour or so.

Put her food up on the counter or a table where she has to jump up to get it, and get some interactive cat toys (the feather on the fishing pole is a good one) and play with her for an hour or so.

She has three fishing poles and she drags them around and sits with them like they are a security blanket. She'll even come tap on my arm when I'm at the computer for me to play with her! :ph34r: We play with her and her pole all the time, she just doesn't last very long anymore. [:/] She also has mice that she likes to throw in the air and scoot across the floor. When we moved, my son found 8 of them under the couch.

That's so cute! :)
Phoebe stayed with my parents while we were on vacation recently. My dad learned quickly how set in her routine she is about her feedings. One morning, he got up too early and decided to lay down again on the couch. After a few minutes, he said he got a weird feeling and opened his eyes. There was Phoebe on the next cushion just staring at him, willing him to get up and feed her. :ph34r:

When my cat has misbehaved and knows I'm mad (for example, when he wakes me up at 2 am by biting my nose and gets locked out of my room), he takes his fur/feather mice and lines them up in front of my door as if he's caught them all by himself!

That is so cute! :)
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

If you get a male, please make sure he's been neutered. You don't want him spraying everything trying to mark territory.

Especially if there was a male cat in the house previously. Been through this before. Had to throw the carpet out. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Especially if there was a male cat in the house previously. Been through this before. Had to throw the carpet out.

We just moved, but we heard there were 3 Rottweilers here before us. The carpet looks pretty new and we changed the padding for it when we tore it up for remodeling. My cat hasn't had any issues, so hopefully the new one won't. We'll neuter him regardless, but I hope he doesn't spray, that's the last thing I need!

Especially if there was a male cat in the house previously. Been through this before. Had to throw the carpet out.

We just moved, but we heard there were 3 Rottweilers here before us. The carpet looks pretty new and we changed the padding for it when we tore it up for remodeling. My cat hasn't had any issues, so hopefully the new one won't. We'll neuter him regardless, but I hope he doesn't spray, that's the last thing I need!

I recently acquired a couch set that the previous owner's dog pissed on and I didn't know it. I've caught my male cat several times trying to mark it and he IS neutered. :S

There is a spray out there that you can use to deter them.
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

I'd agree with a male kitten. Older cats tend to be more accepting and tolerant of kittens in general and will usually let the younger, smaller cat eat first. Plus, in my experience with the cats I've had, as they get older the males (neutered at the appropriate age) tend to be more laid back and easy going than females. Your queen bee will probably get along with a male a little bit better down the road, while still maintaining her royal status! ;)

The food is going to be tricky because a kitten needs a lot of food, and they need the yummy high fat and protein kitten food that Phoebe shouldn't be eating. As far as I know, ALL adult cats love kitten food!

If he sprays, pick up a bottle of "Nature's Miracle" at Petsmart (or Petco). It's an enzyme cleaner that actually gets rid of the urine smell so he won't go back there again. It works really well. It's a bit pricey, but the other brands don't work as well.

Also, every cat owner should know about the Cat Genie!

If he sprays, pick up a bottle of "Nature's Miracle" at Petsmart (or Petco). It's an enzyme cleaner that actually gets rid of the urine smell so he won't go back there again. It works really well. It's a bit pricey, but the other brands don't work as well.

Also, every cat owner should know about the Cat Genie!

Nature's Miracle works great!
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

what ive done with my cats: leave the new kitty in a bathroom or something and let them smell eachother through the door. cats are like people.. they want their space and they like a clean area.. so make sure each cat has privacy and their own toys / litter / food etc.. best advice i have..
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

As a general rule, a male cat won't spray if he's fixed before he reaches sexual maturity- if you get it done by 6 months, spraying should not be an issue. That's based on my personal experience only - I've had several male cats in my lifetime and I've never had a spraying problem. They've all been housecats I had since they were young kittens and all were fixed at about 6 months. However, my understanding is that once they start spraying, even if you do get them fixed, they'll continue.

Nature's Miracle works well for "accidents"! You can even use it in your laundry.