PrairieDoug

Dacron vs. No-Stretch Lines

You know what's funny, I was playing with some as I read your post!:D

Paragear sells it here http://www.para-gear.com/templates/parachutes.asp?group=32&level=2&parent=193
They call the 600lbs flat braided "Braided, non-stretch dacron line":D as if the waters wern't get muddy enough with specific mubo jumbo!

I've seen old round reserves with flat braided line.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

As far as I know, Dacron only comes in braided, coated or uncoated. I have never seen it in a true "flat braid".

Sparky

Sparky,
I can't remember the specifics, but I have some flat dacron in the shop.

I think it was for a round Canopy.

Now, that I think about it, didn't the five cell Swift have flat Dacron lines??

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

As far as I know, Dacron only comes in braided, coated or uncoated. I have never seen it in a true "flat braid".

Sparky

Sparky,

MEL

The last one I saw did.

Sparky

Sparky,

MEL

You are right; Para-Flite uses it on the MT1-X canopies and the old Swift reserve. It is 600 pound Type I and is covered by Natick Specification T-C-2754. I wonder why Dacron is not covered by a MIL-Spec.?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I LOVE DACRON!!! Both my CRW and Freefall canopy have dacron lines, and my next canopy will be dacron, or if i buy used, and it doesn't have dacron, I'll make sure to get dacron lineset put on it.

CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I am doing some research into the different types of suspension lines used for canopy suspension lines and this thread has been a wealth of information even though sometimes contradictory from post to post.

I also pulled some info off of PDs website.

I am continuing my search. Textile manufacturer's are next on the search list.

What I envision is a side-by-side comparison chart of all the different lines used. Any suggestions or help or pointers-in-the-right-direction out there anyone?

Thanks in advance.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Pops,
Why "re-invent the wheel"?
Most manufacturer;s have already been down that trail, so they have the info that you need.

I guess my question is why don't you go to the different manufacturer's and ask them why they use the materials that they do?

Just curious!

MEL
Skyworks Parachute Service, LLC
www.Skyworksparachuteservice.com

You are right; Para-Flite uses it on the MT1-X canopies and the old Swift reserve. It is 600 pound Type I and is covered by Natick Specification T-C-2754. I wonder why Dacron is not covered by a MIL-Spec.?

True, I have a Swift with flat braided dacron lines.

I also use the same flat braided for lower control lines on all my sport canopies. For some reasons (maybe due to the surface exposed to the rings) it wears less than the equivalent round braided.
Memento Audere Semper

True, I have a Swift with flat braided dacron lines.

I also use the same flat braided for lower control lines on all my sport canopies. For some reasons (maybe due to the surface exposed to the rings) it wears less than the equivalent round braided.

If I remember right it also held up well to the velcro on toggles. But even with all its advantages, it is not "cool".:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That's exactly what I'm doing..going to the manufacturers - both textile and canopy.

I am trying to avoid re-inventing. I had hoped that someone out there already had accumulated all that info into one location or document.

I had envisioned that riggers would be an excellent source of this type of info. But talking to a few riggers, I'm getting some conflicting info (laced heavily with opinions) and I would like to have the facts.

"The facts and only the facts, ma'am." :D

Finding the facts is never a bad thing. It would be nice if more jumpers (or even us rigers) researched the facts before forming an opinion.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Pops,
So what is your agenda on this?
What are you going to do once you acquired the data?

MEL

Use it for education... turn it in to our Instructors and let them use it as they see fit. We, myself included, hear a lot of discussion amongst the more experienced skydivers about lines and what's best and so forth but quite often the info you get from one conflicts with what you get from another.

I hope I'm not in danger of stepping on anyone's toes here, am I?