NewGuy2005

Anyone have experience with the Student Ambassador Program of People to People International?

One of my daughters received an invitation from People to People International to take part in their Student Ambassadors program and travel to Australia next summer.

Is there anyone on the forum that has had direct contact with this organization? What can you tell me about it?

Thanks!!

My cousin did the Australia trip, also ones to China, South Africa, Ireland, and various other places in Europe. She had a wonderful time on each trip. From what I understand it is a very reputable organization. I was signed up for one of their programs to the USSR when I was in high school, but it was cancelled when the USSR suddenly ceased to be. Your daughter will learn a lot and have a blast if you allow her to go.

I was an exchange student to Germany.

I dont know of the APPPI, but I know that in general, it was something I'll always hold very special to my heart.

It was an experience that opened my eyes to the world and made realize how big it is out there.

I highly recommend it and I hope my kids will want to do it.

If your kids have a chance to do it, GO! At the very least, you'll have great stories of being a fish out of water.

However, I also found out that the cost is around $4,000 per kid and I have twins. OUCH!!

Ouch indeed!! :o

Are your daughters old enough to work? My cousin always had to contribute to the cost of the program and also bring her own spending money. But, she was lucky enough to be an only child of wealthy parents. So, the cost was not really an issue for them. Having her contribute was more a way to teach her some responsibility.

Good luck with the decision. You'll have to let us know how it turns out!

My daughter did the Washington, D.C. trip and LOVED it. B|

-She received a full scholarship (they only offered 2 country-wide I believe) so the financial expense wasn't a factor for us thankfully!

We were going to send her even if we had to raise the money, though. She's a good girl and truly deserved the trip.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

They're not old enough to work at a real job that pays money. They're 13. They have work they do around the house, but any money they earn would still have to come from us.

They're both good kids, and academically, they are in the top 1% of the country, so they desrve it. But $8,000 to send two kids to Australia for 3 weeks is a hell of a lot of money.

My daughter went to DC and paid for her trip by selling Krispy Kreme donuts as a fundraiser! That's a lot of donuts! If you look on their website they have lots of ideas for fundraising! You can get sponsors also. Good Luck and have fun! I made my daughter do most of the work!

summer before last my son went to holland and played baseball, we talked every day on the phone, he hated holland at first but it has grown on him since.
He had a good time playing ball though!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward