cpoxon

Heads Up Displays To Debut During World Skydiving Record Attempts

From http://www.prweb.com/releases/2005/12/prweb322301.htm

***Athletes competing in a rare and massive record freefall attempt will use Heads Up technology from SportVue.

(PRWEB) December 15, 2005 -- The world’s top skydiving athletes will use SportVueTM Heads Up technology when they take part in a rare and massive skydiving record attempt in Thailand, January 24 – February 6, 2006.

The jumpers will wear Alti-2’s much-anticipated Altimaster Titan, incorporating SportVueTM Heads Up technology, as they attempt to set a the record for the world’s largest freefall. 400 skydivers linked together will jump from thousands of feet above Udon Thani, Thailand , at the Royal Sky Celebration. Key jumpers will use Titan to show freefall speed of the formation. The event will also mark the launch of the Altimaster Titan with SportVueTM skydiving system; Alti-2 will be taking orders at the event.

The new product will be a pairing of the popular Altimaster data systems for skydivers and Motion Research Corporation's patented SportVueTM Heads Up display. The system gives skydivers a view of their altitude, speed, and other critical information in a helmet-mounted personal display focused at infinity.

Alti-2 is a leading altimeter manufacturer for skydiving, based in Florida. SportVueTM is a trademark of Motion Research Corporation, an information display and monitoring solutions provider for various applications such as sports and industrial applications. MRC is currently developing products based upon its patented technologies: a Heads Up Display (HUD) and the Autonomous Personal Data Recorder and Transmitter (APDRT) system. MRC offers its HUD product - SportVueTM MC1 and MC2 for motorcycles at www.sportvue.com, and also seeks value added resellers and OEM’s for other applications.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

I will probably be flamed for this but in addition to the altitude display I think the following would be cool:

-Constant information on the direction of the wind, with arrows. Like 90 E >
-A GPS that that directs you to the dropzone with a simple map and audible cues
-Sensors on the main and reserve canopies that would let you know the type of malfunction you have. This is like a car. If your brake/toggle gets unstowed and the other is still secure for a specified period of time the sensor will go off. The display will say “Left Brake Unstowed”, etc.
-A signal to let you know if another canopy is too close to you in the landing area

It would not be to rely on the display but to aid the skydiver to land safely. It will be interesting to see how the heads up display will develop in the future.

I will probably be flamed for this but in addition to the altitude display I think the following would be cool:

Where's it going to pull this information from and why can't I just look down at the wind sock?

Raw GPS would be just fine and less distracting.

-Sensors on the main and reserve canopies that would let you know the type of malfunction you have. This is like a car. If your brake/toggle gets unstowed and the other is still secure for a specified period of time the sensor will go off. The display will say “Left Brake Unstowed”, etc.

Wow, just like magic.

-A signal to let you know if another canopy is too close to you in the landing area

How does it know where other canopies are and why can't I just look around me??

I think tools are much more useful not when they mimic what a skydiver should be doing, but provide information or do things skydivers can't do themselves. AADs fire when you're unconscious, alt and GPS data provide more accurate measurements.

Real time live data like fall rate and ground speed would be useful additions because it'd provide immediate feedback while you're in the air(you could see immediately how a change in body position affects your performance). But gear shouldn't try to replace your brain.

It would not be to rely on the display but to aid the skydiver to land safely. It will be interesting to see how the heads up display will develop in the future.

Hmmm. May as well stay home and play a video game about skydiving. I don't want to stare at a screen.

The reason I skydive is to feel alive with all of my senses alert. Looking around from a birds vantage point of view!

Besides. Electronics malfunction. I would hate to have a computer tell me line over when I have a horse shoe! B|

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

Real time live data like fall rate and ground speed would be useful ...

Add that plus the ability to tell you if you are going to make it back to the DZ on a long spot. That probably would give you a higher altitude to choose an alternate landing site when deciding to land out if you needed to.

>Constant information on the direction of the wind, with arrows. Like 90 E >

All that stuff sounds like it would be deadly. It takes 100% of my concentration to land a small canopy safely during a 100-way; looking at a display would lead to me missing the guy with the yellow Velocity setting up for his 270 over the landing area.

Besides, what earthly reason would you have for knowing what the upper winds are once you're out of the airplane? And is there any experienced skydiver on the planet who would be helped by having a voice say "turn left at the town and the dropzone will be on your right?"

How about a computer that also removes all judgement and personal responsibility for decision making from jumping?
It should fill the entire visual field so you can't see and therefore won't be distracted by visual cues either.
When things go bad you can just blame the software.

Yeah, you did get sort of flamed. All of that information becomes apparent to an experienced skydiver, and as Bill Von said, projecting it would be a distraction. I understand that with your low jump numbers there is too much happening under canopy for you to take it all in, and you think you might be served with having projected information. My hunch is that you would actually be better served jumping under ideal conditions with limited canopy traffic for a while as you build your experience. All those things will fall into place and your situational Awareness will grow over time.

It's cool that you are thinking about all the information you would like to have under canopy. Now, find ways to get that information without technology...it's probably safer in the long run, and definitely more fun that way!
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

That soudns very cool.

What would make it cooler? An interface to the LANC port on my Camcorder, so I could integrate the 'Cam-eye' functionality. I'd rather only have one thing hanging infront of my face.

The 'Cam-eye' tells me if my camera is turned on, if it's in recording mode, and if I'm running out of battery or tape. One integrated display for all this, plus altitude would be *very* cool. I hope the Titan has capability for multiple inputs.

Help with video-framing would be even cooler, but I doubt it would work very well. I'm curious what types of data the device will support.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

>Constant information on the direction of the wind, with arrows. Like 90 E >

All that stuff sounds like it would be deadly. It takes 100% of my concentration to land a small canopy safely during a 100-way; looking at a display would lead to me missing the guy with the yellow Velocity setting up for his 270 over the landing area.

I'm really curious as to who would be letting someone attempt a 270 with 100 canopies attempting to land safely together on a DZ?
I was under the impression that during most bigway events all approaches are to be standard straight in approaches to help avoid possible collisions.
Just curious;)

ChileRelleno-Rodriguez Bro#414
Hellfish#511,MuffBro#3532,AnvilBro#9, D24868

Real time live data like fall rate and ground speed would be useful ...

Add that plus the ability to tell you if you are going to make it back to the DZ on a long spot. That probably would give you a higher altitude to choose an alternate landing site when deciding to land out if you needed to.

interesting thing to implement. GPS could give distance to centerpoint of LZ and if you can make it (with some margin to allow for course corrections)

Having ground speed could enable you to find the wind line if no other clues are present. I can think of at least one off landing I had where I was over a cow pasture and hung in half brakes to let the wind push me home only to find on landing I was doing it into the wind.

Course, this sounds like a whole new type of gear dependence.