BIGUN

Storm Pulse (Hurricane Tracking Website)

For educational purposes:

How are they so certain this will hit New Orleans? Looking at the map, it is just as close to other places as it is to the track it is shown. Is there any chance this could miraculously change paths? Any chance?

From what I have been reading, this storm sounds like some serious shit. Is there much of a population there after the last storm?
If it does change paths are the people in neighboring states getting ready to evacuate as well?

Where I come from I have never experienced even a small hurricane or tornado as they are not known so we are not really educated on this type of weather.

Also, Is everyone evacuating or will there be people staying and taking their chances? If so, then Why, when it sounds like certain death from the news reports?

If any of you guys are from this area and are still at an internet connection and not sitting stuck on the highway somewhere, then Good Luck to you and your family, I literally can not begin to imagine what you are going through right now.

One more question... IS this the exact same area that got hit by Katrina and will this one hit places that were not savaged by Katrina.

Thanks for any answers.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

>IS this the exact same area that got hit by Katrina . . .

Katrina actually passed 30-40 miles east of the center of New Orleans. This one is predicted to hit about 50-100 miles west of New Orleans, closer to Lafayette. Unfortunately, cat-4 hurricanes are very large, and two predicted tracks have it dead-centering New Orleans.

Katrina actually passed 30-40 miles east of the center of New Orleans. This one is predicted to hit about 50-100 miles west of New Orleans, closer to Lafayette. Unfortunately, cat-4 hurricanes are very large, and two predicted tracks have it dead-centering New Orleans.

From my understanding, the dead centering would be better than it moving just to the west of New Orleans.

From my understanding, the dead centering would be better than it moving just to the west of New Orleans.

Yes it would, but not by much. The northeast quadrant is the strongest part of the hurricane and brings the highest surges. If it dead-centers New Orleans, then they will get the strongest winds.

At least they are not expecting it to regain category 4 strength, but Katrina made landfall as a strong category 3, and was much larger. So, we'll see what happens, but I do think New Orleans is fucked again.

The population before Katrina was something like 485K, I'm not sure exactly, and the city lost about 120K after, give or take a few 10K.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>>Is everyone evacuating or will there be people staying and taking their chances?
The news just showed an older gentleman in the same house he rode out Katrina in. His wife died in that storm in that same house. And he's staying put this time too . . .

NickD :o

I am going to sit on my roof with a kite and a bottle of whiskey.

hahaha that's awesome. i think the kite is a nice touch.

great link. damn this hurricane!

*Update* I have evacuated to Memphis, and Mark is making fun of me for it. A trip that would normally take five and a half hours just took me ten hours. Tammy is staying in her house in Chalmette (against my advice). Jen, you should call and bitch at her.
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

>>Is everyone evacuating or will there be people staying and taking their chances?
The news just showed an older gentleman in the same house he rode out Katrina in. His wife died in that storm in that same house. And he's staying put this time too . . .

NickD :o

Sounds like he's tired of waiting to join her. [:/]
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We in the Coast Guard just use the National Hurricane Center's tracker. I check it every morning when I'm on watch. I wake up and think, "Damn, I wish a hurricane would make its way up here." We've got self-righting motor lifeboats, and I'd love to flip one over just once to see how quickly it returns to an upright position.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

Yeah, we've set storm conditions here at the station in preps for TS Hanna, we'll see what happens. Most recent predictions I saw before I went off-duty were that this area was going to see up to 45 kt winds, and up to 17 ft seas, which is well within the limits of the 47-ft Motor Lifeboat. If the CO decides to go play around with it to keep his proficiency as a Heavy WX Coxswain, I'm going to beg him to take me along.
"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving." - aviation cliche

You SAR guys have a sick sense of humor.

SEMPER PARATUS!

You should see when we actually have to save someone. We joke about things the average person would go to hell for laughing at.

Being a former skydiving former Coastie, I can believe it! ;)

Carry on! :ph34r:
When the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Yeah, then you definitely know how it works.

Small update, looks like Hanna decided to be a little whimp, and the only thing that is hitting us is some light breeze and rain. Too bad really, I wanted to go out for some heavy weather ops. But the hurricane season is just entering full swing.