Muenkel

Anyone else dealing with chronic pain?

If so, how do you deal with it?

In my case its complex migraines. I'm building up a resistance to my pain medication but I refuse to take hard narcotics.

Depression and discouragement are definitely setting in. I'm becoming more and more limited. My neuro has not given me much hope. It's permanent damage. My second opinion neuro concurs.

I've tried hypnosis, meditation, yoga and the method with the needles (the name of that method is on the tip of my tongue, but I just can't remember it. This also happens frequently).

My situation is not normal migraines. As I said above, I'm diagnosed with complex migraine syndrome. Oh, and I've also tried a headache clinic with no success.

I'm not suicidal, but I have at times prayed for an early death. I'm fighting to not give into that kind of thinking, because life really is prescious.

Wisdom people...I need wisdom!

I should also add that I am allergic to many medications.

> - Divorce her:P

Hi Chris very sorry to hear that your not feeling well. Have you tried a TENS machine. I've no experience of them myself by have heard the wife talking about their use.

Best wishes from the both of us.

Take care mate

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

yes, I have children - they can be a chronic pain in my arse especially the 16 yr old :P

- ok in all seriousness I am pm'ing you.

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I've also got chronic migraines and cluster headaches. I used to get them 4-5 days a week.

I tried many preventatives: Wellbutrin, Amitryptaline, Nortryptaline, Verapamil, and a couple of others I can't remember that I either couldn't tolerate or didn't work. Topamax worked, but I couldn't deal with the side effects, but it's been amazing for many people. Have you tried it? I've also heard good things about depakote, but didn't want to try it because of the side effects.

I found an herbal preventative, called Butterbur, trade name Migrasolve Petadolex, and it's worked wonders, and now I get migraines about once a week. I take it twice per day, four times per day if I have a string of migraines. Might be worth trying if you haven't already. Takes about three weeks of taking it two to three times per day to notice a difference. Only side effect I ever noticed was heartburn if I take it on an empty stomach and go to bed right after.

For an acute attack, I use imitrex shots, which work instantly (30 seconds to five minutes), or if I'm feeling needle phobic (most of the time), I use relpax (fifteen to thirty minutes) or maxalt mlt (five to fifteen minutes). Have you tried any of these? Injectable imitrex quite literally gave me my life back, and it sometimes works for people when nothing else does because it gets into the system so quickly.

Have you tried alternating between several pain meds that work? Honestly, before I found triptans (imitrex, relpax, maxalt, zomig, etc) and learned to use them properly, vicodin was probably the only thing that kept me from shooting myself during a migraine or cluster headache (cluster headaches are sometimes called suicide headaches...they really are that bad). I knew I couldn't use that more than once or twice a week or it'd stop working as well, so I'd use 800 mg ibuprofen for the ones that weren't quite as bad. My doctor was very understanding and open with me, sat me down and explained how to prevent addiction to narcotics when using them for chronic pain, and was very helpful every step of the way and worked with me to find something else better (triptans) while going with what was working currently and keeping me sane (narcotics).

Migraines suck, and there's no one-size-fits-all treatment, which makes them suck more.

((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

Chris,

I'm sorry that I have no experience with this sort of thing; I wish there was something I could do to help. No however that I have, and will continue to pray for you.

Kristi seems to be the go-to person on this 1; plenty of useful info in her post. :)
Keep us updated on how you're doing, even if it's a 1-line post.

Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

To everyone,

Earlier today I remembered that I posted this thread. I was truly annoyed with myself because I was in a self-pity mode and I dumped it on you folks. I seriously hate self-pity. It's too damned destructive.

When I logged on around 6:30pm EST, I had more pms than I have ever received since I have been a member here (also the replies to my thread). All were filled with suggestions and links to research.

I cannot tell you how much you lifted my spirits and I genuinely thank you for that. No self-pity now.:)
The genuine caring on this site is something we should all be proud of.

My best to you all and once again, I truly thank you.:)
Blue skies always (even though I have Tropical Storm Hanna bearing down on my area right now.:|)

Chris

To everyone,

Earlier today I remembered that I posted this thread. I was truly annoyed with myself because I was in a self-pity mode and I dumped it on you folks. I seriously hate self-pity. It's too damned destructive.

I cannot tell you how much you lifted my spirits and I genuinely thank you for that. No self-pity now.:)

There's a difference between self pity and asking for help from your friends when you need it. I didn't see your post as self pity; I saw it as asking for coping strategies and support. You have been through so much and it is amazing that you have come out of it as well as you have and that you can usually keep such a positive outlook on life.

When I've gone through a few rough patches, I've found such wonderful support from friends here, and it sounds like your self-pity (if you must call it that) was productive in this case... you learned what an amazing support network the skydiving community can be!

I was truly annoyed with myself

No worries man...you don't want my advice when it comes to pain anyway...based on my traumatic incident, my recommendation to you would be...amputate.

Works like a charm.

Really.

:)

:o

:P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

When I logged on around 6:30pm EST, I had more pms than I have ever received since I have been a member here (also the replies to my thread). All were filled with suggestions and links to research.

Chris mate - it's because you are a jolly nice chap and everyone can see that as it shines through from you postsB|

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Chris,
What I have to offer is probably not relevant for you considering the situation you're in but...

My chiropractor cured my headache problems. Similarly to Nightingale, for years I had severe headaches weekly and severe migraines at least 3-4 times per month.

He spotted the problem on X-ray. Snap, crackle, pop and the headaches all disappeared. The only ones I have now are few and far between and have all been caused by stress.

Good luck, man. There's always hope.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've been diagnosed with degenerative joint diease in all three sections of my spine, in addition to the pain of arthritis in my right wrist and both ankles.

Over the last few years, I've taken THOUSANDS of dangerous perscription drugs, but have settled instead for an herbal method approved by the good folk of my state.

On occassion I will still need some pain meds to manage my pain, but I'm usually good to go with the natural route.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

My second opinion neuro concurs.

I've tried hypnosis, meditation, yoga and acupuncture.

. . . also tried a headache clinic with no success.

I should also add that I am allergic to many medications.

Chris,

You've not only tried the traditional recommendations, you've gotten second opinions. You went to the "experts." You've tried non-western medicine methods. You are just trying to make EVERY effort to learn and cope with your pain.

That's not asking for pity. You asked for WISDOM! You're trying to look outside the box.

I wish that I could help you. But... as an ob-gyn, my pain management techniques deal with a very different pain (and one with a VERY different outcome... it's amazing what you will cope with when the outcome is a new cherished life....)

My advice though:

KEEP ASKING!

Ask your doctors. Ask your friends. Ask anyone, cuz someone might have the answer that works. It doesn't hurt to ask.

My neuro has not given me much hope. It's permanent damage. My second opinion neuro concurs.

This is not based on any real medical knowledge, but if it's neuro, maybe try some of the drugs they use for diabetics (pre-post amputation of lower limbs), like Lyrica, or Neurotin? Those helped keep my own recovery post injury, in terms of helping the "brain" settle itself from trying to keep getting input.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Hey Max,

Amputation has been considered at times.:D Actually, Cora (ladyskydiver) suggested just that in a pm.

I actually had a good day today. Pain was very minor and I went to my sister's house to celebrate my nephew's 5th b'day. Man, he got some really cool toys. I'd steel some but he's too smart.

Thanks again peepsters. I've read the many suggestions and am researching the many links that have been provided. Like I told Cora, I'm becoming my own doctor.

My best to all of you.:)

I wish I were answering with a solution to offer you, but absent that, I'll just remind you that a lot of people here, myself included, think very highly of you, respect you a lot, and just, in general, likeyou. You seem like a very decent, good person, and so it pains me to know that you suffer what you do. I wish you didn't, and I hope you find a workable solution.

My best friend in the world, a very trusted kindred spirit I left back home in my home town on L.I., suffered/suffers from migraines. Through a combination of his own prior habit of recreational drug use and his doctors' willingness to prescribe loads of different things -- narcotics among them -- he ended up with a prescription drug addiction that led to several arrests (though no jail or prison time), the loss of his job, the end of his marriage, the severe limitation of his ability to see his wonderful daughter (and seriously, you never met a six-year-old as simply sweet and precious as his daughter: intelligent, cheerful, happy, friendly). His life is torn to shreds, because of drugs that got out of control on him. It's been four or five years now, and he still has not pulled it together.

So I am glad to read that you will not consider hard narcotics. You don't need that on top of it all.

The only things I don't remember you mentioning are massage therapy and acupuncture. (I think you alluded to "the method with the needles," and that was probably acupuncture.) There are people who swear by each of those. My brother's late wife was an acupuncturist on Nantucket, quite well-known, and had an adoring following of clients who truly took her loss very hard when she died. So maybe there's something to it, I dunno. And if massages don't cure your condition, hey, at least it feels really fuckin' good to get a massage! :)
My sincerest wishes that you feel better.

-birdlike

Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire