woodpecker

motorcycle riders

Just bought a 2007 zx6r from the show room floor (pics in a few) and have a question.

What is the optimal running temperature (engine temperature, not environment)?

I'm asking because my temp. guage reades 214 F when riding here in CA and wanting to make sure thats not high until I can call the shop tomorrow.

thanks in advance,

Billy

Tony....its fucking awsome!
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

That's about normal. You can buy this stuff called water wetter that will make your bike run cooler, you use it instead of antifreeze. (not a problem as long as it doesn't get below freezing outside). I went on a motorcycle rally today, the largest in california, there were a couple thousand bikes out. Crazy! It was over 100 degrees out, and allot of stop and go. The sv-650 I was riding was at 216ish when sitting still, my buddies 05 R1 was 220. wash your radiator every once and awhile to get rid of the bugs, and if you ever see it going above 220, make sure your fans are on, because if they fail it can toast your motor. Have fun!

lol I'm not worried. When I'm moving it sits comfortably at 60 degrees celsius. Besides....my bike is fuckin sexy. B|

MY bikes are sexy, yours look like every other Jap bike out there:P:P:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My bike is Japanese....not Jap :|

We Aussies like to shorten everything, no one would say it's a Japanese bike here, just a Jap bike (not to be confised with a bike called a JAP ;))
We call Kawasaki, KWAK, Suziki, Susies, Yamahas, Yammie, Honda well shorten to Honda:ph34r::ph34r:
Moto Guzzi, to Guzzi, Ducati to Dcks (or Dukes) etc.
Persons from the Untied States of America, Sepos, or Yanks.
So no offense meant, but it's still Jap crap to me:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

That's about normal. You can buy this stuff called water wetter that will make your bike run cooler, you use it instead of antifreeze. (not a problem as long as it doesn't get below freezing outside). I went on a motorcycle rally today, the largest in california, there were a couple thousand bikes out. Crazy! It was over 100 degrees out, and allot of stop and go. The sv-650 I was riding was at 216ish when sitting still, my buddies 05 R1 was 220. wash your radiator every once and awhile to get rid of the bugs, and if you ever see it going above 220, make sure your fans are on, because if they fail it can toast your motor. Have fun!

those temps are normal, i usually dont like to let them get over 210ish or so, just because its an aluminum block and head, usually if i see myself getting ready to sit in traffic or something, ill just turn the bike off. my 05 R1 would get to about 210 idling even in the dead of winter, never really noticed much change from that. saw it hit 220 once, but that was on a 110 degree day.

The wetter water stuff works, but im not a fan of it. Its decent, and im not sure how it goes on motorcycles, but after working on cars every day ive seen alot of additives do lots of strange things to cars. (clog heater cores, radiators, t-stats, idle air motors, water pumps, ect...) so im a pretty firm believer in just using what the manufacturer puts in there from the factory. Again, im not sure on bikes, all my bikes have had warranty's, so i never messed with them aside from performance stuff.

Good luck with the bike. There LOADS of fun, but remember that just because you see someone else doesn't mean they see you. i ride with my high beam on the daytime for that reason. (idk if you have ridden before)

i had to give up my bikes, GF and lack of right hand control :D.

be safe and enjoy bud
-Kevin

My bike is Japanese....not Jap :|

We Aussies like to shorten everything, no one would say it's a Japanese bike here, just a Jap bike (not to be confised with a bike called a JAP ;))
We call Kawasaki, KWAK, Suziki, Susies, Yamahas, Yammie, Honda well shorten to Honda:ph34r::ph34r:
Moto Guzzi, to Guzzi, Ducati to Dcks (or Dukes) etc.
Persons from the Untied States of America, Sepos, or Yanks.
So no offense meant, but it's still Jap crap to me:D:D

what about a fine itilian bike? Aprilia?
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

i ride with my high beam on the daytime for that reason.

Me too plus I highly recommend the PIAA Super Plasma GTX bulbs. I think the zx6r bulbs are 9007 but can't remember.

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-9000.html

Riding with HIGH Main mean on is considered rude where I ride. Dipped main beam should be sufficient.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

what about a fine itilian bike? Aprilia?

Hmmm I think we shorten it to.
"i wish we had the money to buy one of those Hot looking bikes":ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
Unfortunately this abbreviation is often confused with the one for the MV Agusta also:ph34r::ph34r:
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Riding with HIGH Main mean on is considered rude where I ride. Dipped main beam should be sufficient.

Riding with your high beams on is a poor replacement for defensive riding, a hazard to other motorists, and as Shrop stated, just plain rude!

If that's what it takes for a rider to feel 'safe' when sharing the road with others, I sure hope I'm not out there with you. [:/]

Blinding everyone opposing you on the roadway in the name of 'your' safety comes across as quite selfish.

Good luck out there.

BASE359
"Now I've settled down,
in a quiet little town,
and forgot about everything"

I live and ride full time in Southern California. I made a choice to use my high beam during the day because it increases my chances of being seen. Especially during those times where no amount of defensive riding will save you. i.e. left turners. The day I installed the PIAAs is they day my close calls cut down from 1 per month to 1 per year.

I also wear a full face dot, snell approved helmet and leather jacket with armor. Does this somehow also mean I'm lazy and use it in place of defensive riding skills?

Believe it or not I've been riding full time since the winter of 02 logging almost 40,000 miles and I haven't laid her down or crashed her yet. My defensive riding skills are not in question here. I'm not saying I know better than anyone else but it's my ass out there so I make decisions appropriately.
www.FourWheelerHB.com

I've been riding since 1978 and have never felt the need to blind drivers that I'm following or those coming towards me.
I driver with my Head Light on all the time but NOT on High beam.

(.)Y(.)

That's a personal choice we all make. I could give a shit about being polite because politeness will not save my ass. Polite to me is getting the fuck off the phone and paying attention to the road ahead, behind, and to the sides and if I have to blind people to get them to do that....so be it. :)

I suppose you're against loud pipes too because it might annoy someone.

www.FourWheelerHB.com

Am I against load pipes? .... um I have a Harley!! Had a Ducati 900ss Desmo Darhma with Conti's so I guess not....
But load pipes aren't dangerous to other road users, Blinding them is.

Head lights good : Main Beam Bad

I wouldn't mind betting that over here you may be pulled for "Driving without due care and attention" - but I'd need to check that.

(.)Y(.)

lol this conversation is ridiculous. Suddenly it's a safety hazard rather than just rude? It doesn't blind people to the point of them not being able to see. How do I know? I'm out there too. Of course the difference may be it's not overcast here as often as it is there. B|

You make your choices I'll make mine. :P

www.FourWheelerHB.com

In Reply To
In Reply To

Riding with your high beams on is a poor replacement for defensive riding, a hazard to other motorists, and as Shrop stated, just plain rude!

If that's what it takes for a rider to feel 'safe' when sharing the road with others, I sure hope I'm not out there with you. Unsure

Blinding everyone opposing you on the roadway in the name of 'your' safety comes across as quite selfish.

Good luck out there.

BASE359

From the Colorado Motorcycle Operator’s Handbook:

"HEADLIGHT: The best way to help others on the road see your motorcycle is to keep the headlight on at all times. Use of the high beam in daylight increases the likelihood that you will be seen by oncoming drivers."

I always ride with my high beam on during the daytime. I have never been blinded by another motorcycle using their high beam during the daytime.

DV