Lostinspace

washing container - cutaway cable’s hard housing

I've washed two of my rigs leaving them in. I think it'd be a pain in the ars to take them out. I just tied socks around everything that was hard and exposed.:S
But I don't totally know what I'm talking about.

Washing them actually cleans them out. They are made of spiral wound stainless steel, the same stuff you see on any public phone. When the housings are formed a lubricant is used to keep them cool during the process, the excess lubricant is what initally picks up most of the dust and grit found on your cut away cables. Washing them actually helps keep your cables clean.

Mick.

I've washed two of my rigs leaving them in. I think it'd be a pain in the ars to take them out. I just tied socks around everything that was hard and exposed.:S
But I don't totally know what I'm talking about.

Washing them actually cleans them out. They are made of spiral wound stainless steel, the same stuff you see on any public phone. When the housings are formed a lubricant is used to keep them cool during the process, the excess lubricant is what initally picks up most of the dust and grit found on your cut away cables. Washing them actually helps keep your cables clean.

Mick.

I just learned something... But if that is true, you would think the manufacture would pre-wash the housings....

I just learned something... But if that is true, you would think the manufacture would pre-wash the housings....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pre-washing at the factory level requires really nasty chemicals like de-greaser or carbon tretrachloride which raise a whole bunch of workplace health and safety issues.
SCARY!
A few years back, Parachutes de France issued a service bulletin about cleaning release housings and I think they specified carbon tetrachloride (a popular gun-cleaning solvent). Cleaning one or two housings will not be too dangerous, but you don't want to be breathing those nasty fumes all day.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Pre-washing at the factory level requires really nasty chemicals like de-greaser or carbon tretrachloride which raise a whole bunch of workplace health and safety issues.
SCARY!
A few years back, Parachutes de France issued a service bulletin about cleaning release housings and I think they specified carbon tetrachloride (a popular gun-cleaning solvent). Cleaning one or two housings will not be too dangerous, but you don't want to be breathing those nasty fumes all day.

...and to think that, years ago, carbon tetrachloride was used in fire extinguishers!

Chuck

But it's still a good idea to clean those housing and cables, especially on a new rig.

When I was chscking my wife's new Wings, that she had already put a couple of jumps on, I went to pull the cutaway cable as I was showing her how to properly maintain / clean them.

Well, I pulled, and I pulled, and then I put the rig on the floor and I had to put one foot on the rig and then had to use both hands to get the cables to come out.:o

A rub-down of the cables with some naptha and then some silicone lubricant after being run through the housings a few times finally had them coming out without any black residue on them.

From what I've heard, it's leftover cutting oil that they use to make the housings. The cables were quite tacky when they came out that first time.

Definitely something people need to check for on new rigs!
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Relative Workshops website spells out how to wash a rig 'the old fashion way'. It's the way i've washed more than a hundred rigs. I leave the housings in the rig for sure. I had the same question on a new rig before.The new cutaway cable when disassembled from the gear for inspection , had excessive black grime on them more than usuall. Apparently the housings were cleaned in solvent, tumbled, but possibly weren't rinsed and dried. I called the manufacturer of the rig, who was very helpful. I was instructed to run a long peice of suspension line through the housing attach a small enough lint-free cloth to the end and pull through the housing till clean.

Of course, it is! I don't think, I ever said it wasn't a good idea to clean the housings. Were you pulling the release cables while she was wearing the rig or when she wasn't wearing the rig? That, makes a big difference. When a person is not wearing a rig and you pull the release cables, it can be quite difficult. The cable, hard routings have to have a fairly good 'arc' to them at the shoulders.

Chuck

This concerns me...my logic says that a hard housing prevents the "kinking" or "entrapment" that can happen under several malfunction scenarios and that a pull through it should not be dependent on an "arc".

Please clarify for me.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I would be sure to somehow dry the insides of them as well as possible afterwards. Even with stainless steel, you don't want some water staying inside the housings for a long period of time. Stainless steel will rust if in contact with water for a long enough time.

The arc on release housings is just as important as the arc in ripcord housings.
You will only get a realistic ripcord pull force measurement when the harness is draped over your shoulder. Any other angle may produce obscenely high pull forces that are scary, but meaningless in freefall.
For example, if you try pulling a cutaway cable towards your face, you are dragging soft cables 180 degrees around the sharp edge of the brass ferrule on the end of the housing. That will vastly increase friction, maybe even damage the yellow coating, but few skydivers are stupid enough to "do it the hard."

In other words, if you pull handles in any other direction than they were designed to be pulled, you will get scary - but unrealistic - pull forces.

Note: there are another dozen magicians' "table tricks" that you can use to scare customers, but they do not reflect real-world operations.

Whoops, sorry, Chuck. Wasn't disputing anything you said, just adding an anecdote.;)

As for how I pulled the cables, I did pull them in-line with the housings, not at a perpindicular angle, which is why it was so surprising.
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Whoops, sorry, Chuck. Wasn't disputing anything you said, just adding an anecdote.;)

As for how I pulled the cables, I did pull them in-line with the housings, not at a perpindicular angle, which is why it was so surprising.

No problema. I see, what you aresaying. I appreciate your in-put. That's how I learn.B|

Chuck