bigway

Have the British just jumped the shark?

they may not be the british but they are still part of the UK and well lets be honest most people dont differentiate. ;)

maybe most people there dont, but i know many educated people who do;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Yes, if kids are not interested in learning, dumb down the learning instead of expecting the normal drive to improve oneself that should be present in all human beings.

I'm so sick of this "bring the lesson to the kid" philosophy. I suppose if the kids won't learn with free ice cream sandwiches by the dozen, we should just pump them full of ice cream sandwiches, then?

You shouldn't have to bribe kids to learn. Anyone who doesn't want to learn, who doesn't seek out learning, isn't fit to be taught.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

You shouldn't have to bribe kids to learn. Anyone who doesn't want to learn, who doesn't seek out learning, isn't fit to be taught.

you do realise that if we all thought like that, the economy would crash, and in one single generation the literacy level of the western world would plummet.

Because very very few actively seek out learning. Developing eastern cultures where i have visited view education as a privileged not a right and their approach to it is completely different to ours.
Our kids and their parents largely DO NOT value education or teachers
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Our kids and their parents largely DO NOT value education or teachers

I do, and so do my kids.

yay but you dont make up "largely"
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

...Our kids and their parents largely DO NOT value education or teachers

I would disagree with the use of the word largely. Yes there are some who don't give 2 shits about getting a proper education. However there are tons of people who do care about their education and learning.

I do agree that most probably don't value their teachers though. Just in the 4 classes I have there is always someone, or a few people from each class, complaining about the teacher for one reason or another. Usually because they find the teacher to be a boring or they think the teacher is a bitch/asshole and sometimes because the teacher isn't teaching them anything they didn't already know.