Squeak

DVD storage on portable HD

I would like to transfer some of my DVDs to a portable Hard Drive so i can take them with me and play them on my TINT laptop (it has no optical dtrive)
What is the best way to convert the DVDs to a format best suited for the HD?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Get a program called DVD Shrink. It will rip the DVD to the hard drive with everything intact. It was originally designed to rip and compress a dual layer DVD to fit on a single layer burnable DVD, but it works great for just ripping to the hard drive.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

Get a program called DVD Shrink. It will rip the DVD to the hard drive with everything intact. It was originally designed to rip and compress a dual layer DVD to fit on a single layer burnable DVD, but it works great for just ripping to the hard drive.

I dont have an optical drive on the laptop, so do i just use shrink to burn it on a desk top computer, then transport it to the laptop?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

dvd shrink compresses them so you can fit more dvd's on an external hard drive. or any hard drive for that matter.

at normal size they will use up alot of space. with dvd shrink you can get a movie dvd down to about 700mb in size.

more movies is always better than less movies.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

dvd shrink compresses them so you can fit more dvd's on an external hard drive. or any hard drive for that matter.

at normal size they will use up alot of space. with dvd shrink you can get a movie dvd down to about 700mb in size.

more movies is always better than less movies.

So . . . he's really not talking about DVD storage then, he's talking about a recompress.

There is a GREAT open source project called HandBrake. It's awesome. http://handbrake.fr/?article=download

Great presets for just about any format you'd really want.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Search google for DAEMON Tools Lite.

The program allows you to create copy of the DVD to HDD using ISO mode ( a full fidelity copy, no recompression or loss of quality).

At the same time, the program will allow you to "mount" up to four DVDs like they are attached to an optical drive (in reality you are pointing to the newly created ISO image in the HDD).

It's free...and I use it every day in WinXP and Vista environments.
Y yo, pa' vivir con miedo, prefiero morir sonriendo, con el recuerdo vivo".
- Ruben Blades, "Adan Garcia"

I use DivX for converting it plays on my computer , Blackberry Bold, on my my DVD player at home that has DivX play back. The quality is good and I only need one format now for all the differnt devices I own (The DivX DVD Player only cost me $60 at wall mart)

They compress down to about 300Mb per hour of play back and that standard DVD quality you can also compress to HD quality and every thing in between.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."