cresTfall

Motor Oil on Canopy

Unfortunately, I got motor oil on a zero-p canopy that I have only 2 jumps on. I was wondering if anyone knows how I could get it out or if it is even worth getting out. I have oil on an F-111 canopy that I use in more critical environments and it does not bother me. But, I am unsure what the implications could be on zero-p fabric. Could I just use mineral spirits and the rinse it completely out? I did that for sap one time. Any riggers that have done this before, I would appreciate your input. Please try and limit the opinions and speculation. Thanks

Jeremy
Premier Member IGPA
2009 IGPA Overall Champion

WWTAD

How much oil are we talking about? A few drops? Canopy soaked in oil? Probably something in between.

I made an experiment some time ago. I took some brand new ZP and cut it to pieces, then poured all sorts of crap on the sample pieces with the intention of leaving them in storage to see what the different chemicals do to the fabric.

Unfortunately the new coating on the fabric was so ZP and so slippery that I had trouble getting my contaminants to stick on the fabric.

With only two jumps on your canopy I'd say there is a fair chance that the oil hasn't done any damage(unless it's damaging the coating). I don't have a Poynter's manual handy and I can't remember what if anything motor oil does to nylon. Or how to clean it off. I'm sure someone will quote the Manual in a few moments. In any case, the standard answer is:

Consult your local rigger.

edit: the above assuming it's Soarcoat type fabric; if it's Gelvenor ZP it's much less slippery and I'm sure the oil will stick.

Will the oil really cause any true weakening? It is not soaked there are a few spots here and there some larger than others the largest is probably 4-5" in diameter and the concern is because it is on the top skin of the center cell near the bridle attachment point. Also, this happened while I was kiting the canopy in the grass to make sure that it was attached properly to the risers and I didn't notice until about a month later. I am speclating that oil based stains "set" pretty much right off the bat so the duration of time shouldn't make too much difference. Can anyone confirm that?

Jeremy
Premier Member IGPA

WWTAD

I just checked into it, apparently if the oil has been in the canopy for a long time you might have some problems with it. Oil will break down ZP fabric. Might not be a bad idea to send it in and have it looked at by the manufacturer. If you get oil on it, you want to clean it off pretty quickly with water and Woollite, and rinse off the soap well.

Later,
Isaiah

If, you have the owner's manual for the parachute, there should be information there on removing oil spots. If, there are just a few stains of oil, the parachute can be cleaned with naphtha or mineral spirits. Spot clean only, using clean cloths dipped in the naphths and lightly swiping the spots with naphtha. Turning the clean cloth often. Pat any excess naphtha with a clean dry cloth. Let it air dry. Naphtha or mineral spirits should be available at any hardware store. It won't hurt the 0-P fabric. If, there are large oil stains, I would recommend sending it to the manufacturer.

Chuck

Depends whether it is clean oil or dirty oil.
Clean oil does not weaken nylon, just makes it look dirty.
Think about it: they oil sewing machines on a regular basis and just wait for excess sewing machine oil to evaporate off of parachutes.

Dirty oil (i.e. the oil on the hangar floor) is way more dangerous because it contains soot, un-burnt gasoline and a variety of other nasty chemicals that eat nylon. Dirty oil should be cleaned off promptly, but only in accordance with the canopy manufadcturer's instructions.

It's another dry cleaning agent that's been used for a long time. Poynters is great, but unfortunately doesn't list every usable product. My manual is packed up at the moment but if I recall, it list lighter fluid as well.

Best I can tell, it has about as much detrimental affects as Naptha.... which is basically none. I learned about the product from Jason Bell. A BASE canopy gets stuff like road tar, grease, oil ... etc on it a lot more often than a skydiving canopy. Nylon is tough, it takes quite a bit more than a simple solvent or general adhesive cleaner to cause weakening. If you're curious, take a scrap of it and test it out. Seal it in a container because it will evaporate pretty quickly.

In a pinch, it can be used to clean socks.

Also, warm soap and water can be used on ZP to spot clean.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

It's another dry cleaning agent that's been used for a long time. Poynters is great, but unfortunately doesn't list every usable product. My manual is packed up at the moment but if I recall, it list lighter fluid as well.

Best I can tell, it has about as much detrimental affects as Naptha.... which is basically none. I learned about the product from Jason Bell. A BASE canopy gets stuff like road tar, grease, oil ... etc on it a lot more often than a skydiving canopy. Nylon is tough, it takes quite a bit more than a simple solvent or general adhesive cleaner to cause weakening. If you're curious, take a scrap of it and test it out. Seal it in a container because it will evaporate pretty quickly.

In a pinch, it can be used to clean socks.

Also, warm soap and water can be used on ZP to spot clean.

I appreciate the info! I learned something. Lighter fluid is only mineral spirits. Varsol/naphtha are a bit 'hotter.
A few years ago, I did exactly what you said, about sealing a piece of )-P in a jar full of naphtha. End result? Nothing! I left it for a week, like that. Let it air-dry. Thanks, again.

Chuck

Thanks to all of you that posted. I truly do appreciate it and I think it is good for discussion. I have spoken with a few manufacturers as well and their first recommendation was always diluted Woolite dabbed rather than scrubbed. Also, they are stating what at least one of you said "Oil itself will not threaten the structural integrity of nylon parachute fabric, dirty used oil can." Having an engineering degree, I assumed this much (which I know may be a mistake) as they are both generated from petroleum and are generally minimally reactive in their purest form. Thank you to all who confirmed that to me. Now, the harsh chemical byproducts present in oil used in any type of internal combustion system will understandably harm the fabric as these left-over compounds are far from stable and pretty reactive. The loft that relined this canopy did mention the possibility of sewing machine oil coming into contact with the fabric and "staining" it. I cannot say whether or not this is the case as I don't know that I noticed the stains right away. That doesn't necessarily mean that they were not there.

Here are the three most common answers that I received from manufacturers regarding cleaning oil based stains from zero-porosity fabric:

1. Diluted Woolite
2. Mineral Spirits
3. Rubbing Alcohol

I think that the theory is to start gentle and then try more harsh cleaners. Of course after the fabric has been cleaned, it needs to be rinsed thoroughly with clean water per the manufacturers (and probably common sense).

I have used mineral spirits in the past to remove some sap from the topskin of a zero porosity canopy and it worked well. That was only a surface issue though, no "setting" of a stain.

Nice to see a thread where people are sharing honest technical information. Thanks again all, I think this will solve(nt) my problem

Jeremy
Premier Member IGPA

WWTAD