BillyVance

Hurricane Ike

Well, it's kind of windy out. Looks like the eye will pass within a couple of miles of me, if not over. Very little rain so far, but when we went out about 4:00PM the water in ditches and the lake was already about 3' high. Winds are maybe 40 gusting to 70 now.

Still have power, but no cable any more (lots of videos). Batteries good, candles good, and all 4 computer batteries are fully charged :P.

We're heading to bed shortly; g'night all. Good luck to Spaceland -- I'd rather be here than there. All that sheet metal.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Like all the typical gulf coast morons out waving to the cameras as the waves come up past the seawall. "Naw, we're -a- stayin' cuz it t'ain't gone be that bahyud. We kin hannel it. Wooooooo!" Even dumber that they have their kids out there with them! Assclowns.

Anyway, not much news here. Cable is kinda out, some channels work and so do all the *ahem* on-demand channels. Strange. Obviously the internet is still up. Heard a few more transformers go, but we're still okay for the most part. LOTS of wind... thinking that some of my trees will be coming down. We'll be sleeping in the living room away from most of the trees. Most of my neighborhood's streets are blocked by fallen trees and branches.

The first band of seriousl storms haven't even gotten here yet. Gonna be a ride!
Oh, hello again!

Anyone know how the hurricane winds are measured in deciding category? Mainly wondering at what height (ground level, uppers, etc.) that they are measured. Obviously there is probably quite a range to be seen.

I think they go by ground level. Ike is measured at 110 mph presently, just 1 mph under category 3 status, according to CNN. But they said if you measure at say, top of a 10 story building, you're getting category 4 strength winds easily!

Houston is going to have one helluva mess of broken glass to clean up from all the skyscrapers. :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I think they go by ground level. Ike is measured at 110 mph presently, just 1 mph under category 3 status, according to CNN. But they said if you measure at say, top of a 10 story building, you're getting category 4 strength winds easily!

I heard the same thing. That's what made me wonder.
Killing threads since 2004.

Power just came back on in Bellaire. (After being out all night.) Winds are still blowing like crazy. (No idea as to velocity, as TV and internet have been down too.) There is some flooding looking outside. But we are okay here. Wonder the rest of Spaceland Staff are doing in the hangar down there!?

Power just came back on in Bellaire. (After being out all night.) Winds are still blowing like crazy. (No idea as to velocity, as TV and internet have been down too.) There is some flooding looking outside. But we are okay here. Wonder the rest of Spaceland Staff are doing in the hangar down there!?

The report on the news says Ike was still 100 mph strong just past Houston, and will continue inland at hurricane strength, possibly as far north as college station or tyler or something... motherfucker is almost as big as the state of Texas itself! :S

It hit Galveston dead on with 110 mph winds (1 mph short of category 3) and a 20 foot surge.

Word is several thousand fucking idiots decided to ride it out in Galveston who are wishing they'd evacuated. :|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We went to bed about 11:00PM. At 2:00AM we woke and it was really blowing -- real hurricane stuff. No power. 3:45 the eye passed over us; power came back on, Rich took the dog out (the dog wasn't impressed).

Woke again at 7:30, wind howling the other direction (obviously). No power. But we're fine; lost a little fence, and a whole lot of leaves off our trees. We have a gas stove, so a nice hot breakfast, and then if hte power doesn't come back on, we'll start to plan how to go through the stuff in the refrigerator.

Good luck to everyone in its path north of us. This was probably about equivalent to my memory of Alicia, although it was really about 10 mph weaker.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

100 miles down the coast on the dry side of the storm we never saw a drop of rain. I saw a report of steady 30-50 mph winds most of the night and I lost power for a few hours but I think that was localized.

Anyone in the Alvin area have a report about what it looks like around there?

So storms over. We are all alright at the hanger just a few hangovers. Packer Will's bus saved the north hanger doors from blowing in. Hanger's at other airports around here lost their doors. The 1 800 SKYDIVE sign on the south end of the hanger now says 80 Y DIE:o!
Trailers are almost all out of the hanger.

I live inside of 610 on the west side of Houston. The damage is a bit shocking - not what I was expecting. Roofs have been removed and displaced. Fences are completely blown over, trees have broken, some completely relocated. Advertising/large signs are destroyed. Lots of people without power, my power just came back on about an hour ago. I've seen a few high rise office buildings with mini blinds sticking out of smashed windows. Standing water, blocked traffic from destroyed power lines, trees, roofs, etc.

It's a bit crazy. :( I can only image the damage closer to the coast - Galvestonians I wish you the best.

Just spoke with my friend that lives in Alvin and runs our preserve at Texas City. In Alvin his A/C unit got blown off it's cement foundation (he didn't know whether it was bolted, just assumed it had been. Maybe not) but no other visible damage at all.

In Texas City he was able to confirm that the levy held so there shouldn't be any flood damage but hasn't been able to inspect for wind damage yet.

Neither area had power as of a few hours ago.

The older buildings really took the hits. I manage industrial warehouses and an older building right next door to one of my buildings no longer has a roof... it's actually across the street.

I'm vaguely familiar with that area - conditions are about the same as i described in my earlier post. Everyone is slowly recovering power... the biggest problems are broken trees and power lines from what I can tell...

I've talked to Twardo-they're ok but Kingston looks like a warzone and his house took some trees. It's gonna be some hot, grungy days ahead for he and his son.

That sucks. [:/]

What about Bacliff, Texas? My deaf skydiver friend Fred Goebel lives there. I think he has a house by the lake or something. I haven't tried contacting him because the power is probably out.

I live by the Marque (I-10 and 610 on the west side) and a Pine tree on my property fell onto my neighbors house. Out of about 25 houses on my street, 3 are completely missing roofs and 2 got hit by pine trees. My dad says he cant drive around due to the pine trees and other debris on the streets. He took a walk around the neighborhood and he said there is serious damage. I did not think it was going to be this bad[:/]

Gotta love those seasoned ex-marines... :D This is quoted from one of the news reports:

"In Surfside Beach, retired carpenter and former Marine Ray Wilkinson became something of a celebrity for a day: He was the lone resident in the town of 805 to defy the order to leave. Authorities found him Saturday morning, drunk.

'I consider myself to be stupid,' Wilkinson, 67, said through a thick, tobacco-stained beard. 'I'm just tired of running from these things. If it's going to get you, it's going to get you.'

He added: 'I didn't say I had all my marbles, OK?' "