BillyVance

Hurricane Ike

Who else is still in Houston? Hope everyone in the evacuation zones got out safely!!

Kingwood reportin' it...;)

We're getting the 'bands' that offer a few minutes of blue skies and a few minutes of black grumbles...no rain but the temp is dropping.

All gas stations are closed in town, and the stores are in panic mode...pushing & shoving and yelling at Randalls.

Neighbor just stopped by to go over our 'got yer back' plans as far as chain saws, food, water and medical supplies.

The pups know something is going on...they keep tryin' to get in the car...better hide the keys or the little mutts will leave me! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I'm in Clear Lake. We're in a mandatory evacuation zip code, but at the high and close end. We sat through Alicia with less preparation. Most windows are boarded, we have water & ice & reasonable food. Also enough wine and chocolate.

And the neighbor just had a friend show up from Galveston with a generator -- We might get to know them better :ph34r:.

Actually, my one big hurricane data point (Alicia) we only lost power for about 18 hours. I'm about a mile from where we weathered that one.

Wendy W.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

my boyfriend's family has a house on the bay side of galveston (south where there is no sea wall). they've already lost the house due to 20ft waves. its flooded up to the 2nd story and the outside of the house is already being pulled off. :( they live in houston and are staying so i hope it doesn't get any worse for them.

Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

Ok, I have a sister in Conroe an need an update about the winds, etc. Someone from there please let me know what's going on. I tried calling but couldn't get through.

Thanks in advance.

Skydiving gave me a reason to live
I'm not afraid of what I'll miss when I die...I'm afraid of what I'll miss as I live

Ok, I have a sister in Conroe an need an update about the winds, etc. Someone from there please let me know what's going on. I tried calling but couldn't get through.

Thanks in advance.

A friend from that area said it was getting pretty windy, but as of an hour or so ago there was no rain or anything very serious happening yet.
Killing threads since 2004.

Is anyone on here in the Alvin area?

A co-worker lives there. Not sure if they are under a mandatory evac or not but he has a newborn and lives in a modular home so he headed out of town. Just wondering how things are going in that area.

I am here in Katy and the winds are getting interesting but are still fine.

Galveston is going to really get it. The thing is there is all this standing water and it's not even really raining. With this being such a large storm in size, it's moving a lot of water. Think when the storm actually hits.

John Rich- I am with you.... I am always amazed that people are not more prepared- I mean it's only the Gulf Coast in hurricane season!!:P

Nathan

About 20 min ago the winds in SW Houston really jumped up. Extremely gusty and very dark clouds. Guess all the sightseers will now get inside somewhere.

A coupla' bayous off the ship channel are flowing backwards in East Houston.

Huge fire in Galveston at a boat repair/storage yard. Lots of resins and fuel burning. Firemen cannot get within two blocks of the fire due to flooding.

Just left Stevie, Jed, Trent and Akie. They seem to be ready for the storm.

Blue skies,

Jim

Conroe is well north of Houston, they'll most likely be getting less winds and slightly later hurricane than we do. If you have the capability, try texting; I've had no problems sending lots of texts around Houston recently. :)
Its dark clouds and gusty here, but still no rain. They've issued flood warnings for the bayous on the southeast side of Houston but so far the storm surge is not pushing water back up as far as downtown...

A few of us are breaking out the flashlights and tequila in California for a sympathy hurricane party in honor of all of you. We'll be watching on CNN . . .

Make sure you all check in tomorrow when you can!

Sweet luck you guys!

NickD :)

Oldest son and I are hunkering down...we've gotta 'which tree will hit the house first' bingo sheet on the fridge...:ph34r:

getting windy, power on & off...no rain yet.

See ya'll on the other side! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Power steady in Southwest Houston. Cable is acting a little odd....wait it does that all the time! ;)

Looks like windspeed is up a little and offshore bouys are showing a wave height increase again 18.7 ft after falling off to 14.5 for a few hours. Winds have not changed offshore at 22 mile bouy so eye has not passed it yet.

Blue skies,

Jim

Just to check in with you dz.dorks... Half my neighborhood in SW Houston has the power out. Ours has been flickering so we don't expect it to hold out too long. Winds have really picked up and my trees are looking like they want to join me and Jed in the house. No good.

Aki and Stevie are on their way here since their side of the street lost power. I happened to be outside when the transformer blew. Impressive. Lots of sirens and crap all around. Don't relly know what that's all about.

Hope our hanger hooligans stay safe over there!
Oh, hello again!

A few of us are breaking out the flashlights and tequila in California for a sympathy hurricane party in honor of all of you. We'll be watching on CNN . . .

That's great! :D

We heard a few big thumps outside from the wind, but all the nearby dead trees are still standing. :P Power is starting to blink, but dinner's cooked...and still no rain at 8pm...

The last one was big enough to cause the computer to re-boot. May not be online much longer.

Battery backup with VERY good surge suppression should be part of ANY computer system.( something like APC or Tripplite that have warranties in case it gets hit and your system fries)..Protect all your electronic stuff...from spikes. Really high voltage lines contacting residential lines.. unplug your electronics from the wall till the storm is over.. and untill power is restored and stable.
The good surge suppressors/battery backup/Power conditioners also have protection your cable phone and network connections

If you live in an area that gets plenty of storms... tree blowdowns...lightening ... you need this stuff for ALL your elecrtonics.

unplug your electronics from the wall till the storm is over.. and untill power is restored and stable.

Good idea for all major appliances. Working for Red Cross during the storms of 2004 and 2005 one of the most common losses people complained about was fried appliances (freezers & refrigerators mainly) that got fried by power surges while the power grid was being repaired and very unstable.

Once your power is out, pretty good idea to unplug them and make sure the power is stable before plugging them back in!