BillyVance

Hurricane Ike

2300 Eastern update has it making a pretty big jump. Corpus, supposed to be dead center yesterday is now out of the cone.

If it keeps going like this, the Florida panhandle better be watching out!

Attached from www.stormpulse.com

They closed hwy 98 today due to water washing over the road. 15-20 ft swells.

Where at? FL, AL, LA, TX? Specifically?

Ft walton beach, fl going to okaloosa island.

I heard they did in mobile as well, but I also hear that's a normal occurance.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

2300 Eastern update has it making a pretty big jump. Corpus, supposed to be dead center yesterday is now out of the cone.

My mom just told me about the road closure this morning and the huge swells they're getting down there. My grandmother is stuck on Dauphin Island because the roads are flooded over.

I was disappointed... I wanted to go to the beach today... first time I've heard of them having waves in a while larger than 2-3ft.
Some people refrain from beating a dead horse. Personally, I find a myriad of entertainment value when beating it until it becomes a horse-smoothie.

My mom just told me about the road closure this morning and the huge swells they're getting down there. My grandmother is stuck on Dauphin Island because the roads are flooded over.

I was disappointed... I wanted to go to the beach today... first time I've heard of them having waves in a while larger than 2-3ft.

That was always my favorite part of an approaching storm when I lived in Grayton Beach (btw Destin and PCB). The gulf was always so glass like it was unreal to see, especially when they got up to 8 to 12 feet.
Killing threads since 2004.

Wow the photos remind me of Rita ;)

I wish Spaceland all the best - I'm sure you guys are going to have one hell of a party!

...Well I bet my fishies in the pond are going to have an interesting time for sure! :P

*hugs from Norway*
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

7:50 AM bouy 22 NM from Galveston is showing 17.4 ft waves. Surfside at Freeport is flooded and Galveston has waves breaking over the seawall. Streets behind the seawall are already flooded.

Maximum wave height last night near eye of storm was 30.5 ft.

Windspeed at a Shell rig offshore Galveston is already 86 kts.

Images on tv right now show huge waves breaking on the seawall and landfall is not for another 18 hours.

I sure hope everyone got out of the coastal communities.

It is still sunny and breezy in Houston so this is surreal!

Blue skies,

Jim

Report from northwest Houston, Friday morning.

It looks like Houston will be taking a direct hit from hurricane Ike, which makes landfall in Galveston tonight. Winds are about 115 mph, but by the time it gets inland to me they'll be down to about 75 mph.

Gas shortages are everywhere. I drove a neighborhood circuit this morning, and of about 10 gas stations, only two had gas. One had long lines snaking out into the road, and the other had regular-only at a price-gouging price.

Roads were jammed with evacuation traffic yesterday. It took me 45 minutes to go 10 miles trying to get home from work. I'm not even going to venture out on the evac routes today.

Store shelves have been cleared of canned goods and water. Why don't people stay stocked up on this stuff all the time? I do. Water stays good forever. I have two 5-gallon jugs of water always full for emergencies. I have a camp stove from camping, and a gas burner in the fireplace which could be used for cooking.

My preparations are simple, because I'm already prepared all the time. I filled the bathtubs with water for flushing commodes and bathing. And took the patio furniture and trash can into the garage so they don't become airborne projectiles. And I've been stocking up on ice in the freezer. That's it! I'm ready.

I wish I had plywood covers for my windows, but that's a future project. The thing I worry about most is a big-ass oak tree that hangs over my roof...

As of 11:00 am the wind is just starting to pick up, now doing about 10-15 mph.

Bring it on, Ike!

7:50 AM bouy 22 NM from Galveston is showing 17.4 ft waves. Surfside at Freeport is flooded and Galveston has waves breaking over the seawall. Streets behind the seawall are already flooded.

Images on tv right now show huge waves breaking on the seawall and landfall is not for another 18 hours.

It's not THAT the wind is blowin'~ it's WHAT the wind is blowin'! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Did Shane come to visit you again? I think he like it when you call him "The Wind".:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I was incredibly impressed with the Wal-Mart and HEB down here in Victoria and how well they kept stocked. There was a huge rush a couple days back when it was looking to come straight through here. Obviously the population numbers have to be taken into account of the little town vs. Houston, but both stores had trucks full of stuff waiting to be loaded in as the shelves were cleared. I went through a bunch of storms in Florida and never saw that happen to such a degree before.
Killing threads since 2004.

I was incredibly impressed with the Wal-Mart and HEB down here in Victoria and how well they kept stocked. There was a huge rush a couple days back when it was looking to come straight through here. Obviously the population numbers have to be taken into account of the little town vs. Houston, but both stores had trucks full of stuff waiting to be loaded in as the shelves were cleared. I went through a bunch of storms in Florida and never saw that happen to such a degree before.

I had to go to the next town north of Kingwood to find batteries...:|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I hope you guys are taking care in Houston and holding down the fort!!! I may be looking at moving to the SW Houston area before the end of the year and I'll probably want the DZ to still be there!
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook

Did Shane come to visit you again? I think he like it when you call him "The Wind".:o

Shane stopped by my house yesterday for about 20 minutes. Thank God he left no odor. :D

Oh and JohnRich, hope you had half a mind to make note of that price-gouging station and report the bastards.

Here in Alabama, if you're found to have raised your prices over a certain percentage with a major storm imminent, whether it's gas or motel rooms, you're gonna get hammered by the law.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Report from northwest Houston, Friday... Bring it on, Ike!

We're hunkering down in NW Houston too. The winds are getting gusty, the sunshine is going away, and the cats are skittish and refuse to go back outside. We're all cleaned up outside and well stocked inside as always. Guess we're ready for a hurricane party. :)

The FEMA appraiser scheduled an inspection of our twice-flooded home for a buyout program for today, but then cancelled due to hurricane Ike. Good timing! :P

Who else is still in Houston? Hope everyone in the evacuation zones got out safely!!

I have relatives in Missouri City, who said today that the worst of it so far is that they have some very unhappy hummingbirds. :D They had to take the feeder down so it doesn't become a flying projectile. Otherwise, they are boarded up, have supplies on hand, and went to the library so they'd have some books to read when they get bored.

Edited to add: John, I understand that drinking water actually CAN go bad--be careful!

TPM Sister #102