Eagleeye

Disconnection of PC on reserves??

I have just watched the Skydiving Survival Series videos and while watching the breakaway section, I've noticed that on some reserve chutes the PC disconnects after the reserve is open, some don't. What is the reason for this? Yes, I am a newbie. I haven't jumped in 2 years because of back injury (non-related) and I am trying to learn and understand everything I can. I am anxiously waiting to buy gear in 6 months and persue my passion, it's all I think about.....oh well. Thanks for the reply.

Most true skydiving reserves have what's called a free bag, consisting of the reserve P/C connected to the reserve deployment bag and neither of them are connected to the reserve canopy. So when a normal sport jumper has a cutaway, then need to look for the free bag and the main canopy separately (although they usually land somewhat close together).

During intentional cutaways and filming of those you're supposed to use at least 3 canopies, or carry along one extra you don't plan on using unless something goes wrong. What you're seeing could actually be someone cutting away one main and then deploying another main, while their reserve stays unused. Make sense? On most mains the P/C and dbag are attached to the canopy.

One more thing, don't be in a rush to buy new gear. Get the accessories you want, get current, try rigs and canopies out, figure out the size and models you want, then get something used first. You'll save money and be happier that way.
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

A main uses a deployment bag. The bridle goes from the attachment point on the top of the canopy to the d-bag to the pilot chute. Everything stays together.

A reserve does not have a bridle attachment point [and thus a d-bag] but uses a freebag instead. When a reserve is deployed, a spring-loaded pilot chute fires out of the container and inflates, dragging the freebag [and thus canopy] with it out of the container. At line stretch, the freebag's locking stows have all been cleared and the freebag/pilot chute assembly slides off of the reserve and floats down on its own.

Long story short, it makes for a faster, cleaner deployment as there is less "crap" around the reserve when it's inflating. There are other reasons, but I'll leave those to more experienced/knowledgable posters.

[edit: we all posted within one minute of each other, wow]
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

A reserve does not have a bridle attachment point [and thus a d-bag] but uses a freebag instead.

Picky technical point - a freebag is a deployment bag.

Correct, and in the FAR's and Poynter's Manual, all of these (including the diaper on rounds) are technically called deployment devices.

Cheers,
Travis

A reserve does not have a bridle attachment point [and thus a d-bag] but uses a freebag instead.
--------------------------------------------------------
Picky technical point - a freebag is a deployment bag.
--------------------------------------------------------
Correct, and in the FAR's and Poynter's Manual, all of these (including the diaper on rounds) are technically called deployment devices.

Well if we're being picky, some reserves do have bridle attachment points. Some canopies can be used as a main or reserve.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I was replying to the statement about both bags being deployment bags and not the statement that no reserves have bridle attachment points. You'll see from previous threads that I've posted on that I have already shown to not believe that there are no reserves out there without bridle attachment points. Precision reserves come with them and PD will send a demo with an attachment point as well.

Cheers,
Travis

>What is the reason for this?

Most square reserves have freebags as explained above. Most round reserves do not; the PC stays attached. Also, when mains are _used_ as stand-in reserves (i.e. the second canopy in a three-canopy system) often they just use a normal main D-bag.