lauraliscious

How many puppies??

We're getting a puppy! Now we're just debating getting a 2nd one so the 1st one will have a playmate while we're at work. They're half Lab, half Golden Retriever. The one we're getting for sure is a golden female. We're thinking about getting a chocolate male. We would get them both fixed of course, so that won't be an issue. They all look mostly like Labs.

Oh yeah, and they're free. For now. :S:D

So what do you guys think??? :)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I wish that I had the money that I've spent on "free" puppies.:S They are going to be chewers, so if you're gonna get mad-don't get one. It's also a pretty energetic breed to be left locked up all day. Ya'll should adopt me instead, I'm mostly house trained:D

You are only as strong as the prey you devour

We have a huge 2 car garage, with an attached "work area" where we would leave them while we're at work. Not much for them to chew in there. There is a door to the outside in the garage. We're going to get a doggie door for it and an electric fence so they'll be able to go in and out when they need to....

Other than that, it's a 3 BR ranch style house, about 2000 square feet (not including the garage area) with a fairly big suburban yard. Not the size of a farm or anything.

Oh yeah, and they are brother and sister, from the same litter.

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I do not recommend bringing two puppies home at the same time. It is hard enough trying to train one dog much less two.

The second problem is establishing pack order is harder to do when raising two puppies at once.

I have seen to many times where people bring two puppies into the house and have all kinds of problems and end up dumping them off at the shelter. You really should get one, train it for a year then look at bringing a second one. Dogs are not like cats in the sense of bringing multiples home.

Please only bring home one....

Edited to add: I worked for a humane society as well as a breed rescue. Neither of these would ever send two puppies to a house together.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

the order of the pack??? You should know that the human/owners are the head of the pack. We are talking about 2 dogs here, born from the same mom, they will be just fine.

Training 2 dogs is no harder than training one. In the end what have you done, trained a dog.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

the order of the pack??? You should know that the human/owners are the head of the pack. We are talking about 2 dogs here, born from the same mom, they will be just fine.

Training 2 dogs is no harder than training one. In the end what have you done, trained a dog.

I will argue this till I am blue in the face. I spent 8 years working with owners and training dogs. Not to mention having gone through behavioral training as a dog handler.

It is not that easy as they are pack animals, they will bond with each other before they bond with a human. Do some searches and see what you find,.

I would NEVER EVER recommend bringing in two dogs at the same time to the same household.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

We have a huge 2 car garage, with an attached "work area" where we would leave them while we're at work.

Make sure you remove antifreeze and other bad things they can get into while in the garage.
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

but because I can give you at least 2 or even more examples of people who have done so and it worked out just fine you can argue all you want, the fact is it's done all the time.

I will still argue...sorry. I spent way too long seeing what happens when it doesnt work, which happens more then it does. People fall in love with these cute little furry guys, bring them home then when shit goes down hill dump them off at the shelter.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I will still argue...sorry. I spent way too long seeing what happens when it doesnt work, which happens more then it does. People fall in love with these cute little furry guys, bring them home then when shit goes down hill dump them off at the shelter.

That just tells me that those people shouldn't have had dogs to begin with.

Willy
growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.

That just tells me that those people shouldn't have had dogs to begin with.

Willy

Most people in the general populous should not have more then one puppy brought home at a time. Sure there are a few exceptions to the rule. However general rule of thumb is to bring one in at a time, not two puppies at once. In a standard general house (not a farm or a house with two very well versed adults who have trained more then 1 dog) I do not and will not recommend two puppies.
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

If you get both you'd better get ALL FOUR of you in puppy training as soon as possible. You, John and the dogs will need to be trained. :)Animals are a big job and responsibility. I know you'll be responsible, I just hope you realize what a commitment one puppy is, let alone two.

Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

Being in the process right now of training one puppy and having dealt with two previous ones, as well as attempting to train a brother and sister together, I will say one puppy is more than enough to keep you guys busy. Two is a big increase in training time and money. With all the other things you guys will have going on, I'd stick with one. While it's a nice idea to think that you need to have two dogs to keep each other company, one dog can easily be left alone by itself for the day and be fine.
Muff Brother #4026
Loco Zapatos Rodriguez
SCR #14793

I do not and will not recommend two puppies.

Our neighbors had 2 beautiful lab puppies. They never trained them, and the dogs spent the next decade locked in a dog run, feral, barking all night long. They finally got old enough and sick enough that the owners could rationalize putting them down. Sad end to a pair of nice animals.[:/]

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! 'Divot...you can still come be our house pet if you want to, we can lock you in the garage and let you out through the doggie door when we are gone and take you to obedience school too!!! :D

I am leaning towards 1 puppy. We do have a lot on our plate right now. We are planning on going to obedience school too, ASAP. And we're talking Chaoskitty into adopting one of the the brothers, so now we'll just need to arrange playdates every once in awhile. B|;)

And we will definitely put all poisons and stuff we don't want chewed up on shelves or in a storage shed or something. There are already some cabinets mounted high in the garage.

I'll post pics when I get some.

Crate training mine was a breeze. They need to be let out in the middle of the night usually when that young. Training pads never worked since the older one would pee on it. I have spent a lot on different chew toys and found NYLA BONE to be the best. They just last ! KONG with a little peanut butter does keep them occupied for a good while.

The Brown one , MEADOW , ate my hackey on the Dolphin Rig. Dragged the PC out , bridle and all and had a field day !! Hide your shoes and watch those electrical cords . And hide that rig ;-)
The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on.

Since neither of you are shark fishermen, I vote 0 dogs...unless you can grill them.

That'd work... if you were Chinese... B|

Oh wait... Hans could.... oh never mind....
:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban