simplyputsi

This came up recently and I wonder

What the masses think. Here goes;

So the roommate has a new girlfriend. He is all I'm going to start doing this and stop doing that, yadda yadda. I never said why would you change who you are, but it's come to mind.
Like she is into going to church every week. He has not been in years, but now he thinks he'll go again. Ok, I get that. She is Christian, he is Catholic. I wonder if he is going to tell her that? So far he has not.

Anyway, they both said something to me that I almost lost it on. We were out eating, at a sushi place, which I don't eat sushi. They have other things, so I'll be fine. They more than once want me to try a roll of sushi and I politely say no thanks. Now it would be different if I've never tried it, but I have, and even tried it in front of said roommate and almost threw up that time. So they are like no this is really good you need to at least give it a try. I'm like trust me the ones I've tried were really good too I just don't like it, sorry.
I don't really care for fish, even though someone did get me to eat a whole filet of Alaskan Salmon.
Anyway back to the point.

After not trying the oh so good sushi, my roommate says what are you going to do if you meet some girl and she says her favorite food is sushi? I said umm tell her I don't like sushi duh. Both him and his new girlfriend say that is the wrong answer. I'm like how? He says that I need to go with it and if she likes sushi then I should like sushi. His girlfriend more or less agrees.

I go ok, so what I should do is lie, say oh I like sushi as well, take her to sushi and then throw up all over the table and say oh wait I don't like sushi actually? I mean WTF?? In my world I think a girl would rather hear oh that's great I've never cared for it myself, I actually don't like fish much, but I'd be more than happy to take you someplace and I'll just choose something that I like besides sushi. And a girl would be fine with that.

Maybe i'm just not open enough :S
Skymama's #2 stalker -

What the masses think. Here goes;

So the roommate has a new girlfriend. He is all I'm going to start doing this and stop doing that, yadda yadda. I never said why would you change who you are, but it's come to mind.
Like she is into going to church every week. He has not been in years, but now he thinks he'll go again. Ok, I get that. She is Christian, he is Catholic. I wonder if he is going to tell her that? So far he has not.

Anyway, they both said something to me that I almost lost it on. We were out eating, at a sushi place, which I don't eat sushi. They have other things, so I'll be fine. They more than once want me to try a roll of sushi and I politely say no thanks. Now it would be different if I've never tried it, but I have, and even tried it in front of said roommate and almost threw up that time. So they are like no this is really good you need to at least give it a try. I'm like trust me the ones I've tried were really good too I just don't like it, sorry.
I don't really care for fish, even though someone did get me to eat a whole filet of Alaskan Salmon.
Anyway back to the point.

After not trying the oh so good sushi, my roommate says what are you going to do if you meet some girl and she says her favorite food is sushi? I said umm tell her I don't like sushi duh. Both him and his new girlfriend say that is the wrong answer. I'm like how? He says that I need to go with it and if she likes sushi then I should like sushi. His girlfriend more or less agrees.

I go ok, so what I should do is lie, say oh I like sushi as well, take her to sushi and then throw up all over the table and say oh wait I don't like sushi actually? I mean WTF?? In my world I think a girl would rather hear oh that's great I've never cared for it myself, I actually don't like fish much, but I'd be more than happy to take you someplace and I'll just choose something that I like besides sushi. And a girl would be fine with that.

Maybe i'm just not open enough :S

So they criticized you for having your own opinion.

Awesome.

Fuck em, be your own man.

I don't mind keeping my opinion to myself, but when it comes to relationships I don't think something like that should make a difference.

Agree the roommate should grow a pair. I figure eventually it'll come out how he really is.

I actually thought catholic meant you were not Christian, but now I understand they are not, and my point is that he used to go to a catholic church and she does not.

Maybe I'll just play Along Came Polly next time she is over and point out how that all worked out. Good one Kitty!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Though catholic is technically a christian religion it is a different branch.

As for the Room mate, I agree on the spine thing. You give into everything a girl (or guy) asks you with in a few years you might begin to resent them.

Having said that, trying new things is a wonderful thing. If you already have and confirmed its not your thing you should never have someone insist otherwise. Nor should you ever feel obligated! That is a load of crap.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Your roommate needs to grow a set of balls.]

:D:DAnd so do you:D:D Find a new job and dont say nuffin;)

Paul, why would you not laugh at them:ph34r::ph34r:, has your roomie always been a pussy?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

PS - No offense, but I've never been able to fathom how any adult Protestant born, raised and educated in the US cannot be aware of the fact that Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity.

isn't it the original? Roman Catholic
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I did laugh at them to myself. I threw my so I should throw up on the table scenario at them and I don't think they expected it.

I wouldn't say he is a pussy, but he does seem to conform to things for the sake of making a good impression. His sister can see the same thing I do.

I'm not exactly prone to arguing, but when it comes to something stupid like what food I like why would I lie about it?
Skymama's #2 stalker -

PS - No offense, but I've never been able to fathom how any adult Protestant born, raised and educated in the US cannot be aware of the fact that Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity.

isn't it the original? Roman Catholic

Of course.
To the OP: Google "Martin Luther"; "Henry VIII" and "Protestant Reformation."

I would never expect anyone to start liking things just cause i do. Seems a bit silly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Then why do you give me such crap about my roadhead phobia

just cause you had bad roadhead from turtle, doesn't mean everyone gives bad roadheadB|

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I would never expect anyone to start liking things just cause i do. Seems a bit silly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Then why do you give me such crap about my roadhead phobia

just cause you had bad roadhead from turtle, doesn't mean everyone gives bad roadheadB|

Ouch... :D:D:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Become a vegetarian. That moots the point.
I suppose.

You mean moo point. :D:D

I'm not sure what you're talking about Protestant, but someone like me who doesn't pay much attention to the inner working of religion can very easily think that Catholic and Christian are different. Easy mistake to make, but lesson learned. Enough about it though. NO SC!!!
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Anyhow, yeah; when you hook up with somebody, it is good for each of you to try to appreciate each other's interests and tastes - otherwise you won't have much left in common once the novelty of screwing each other wears off. But I like my ice cream red and fruity, thank you, and I'll be damned if I choke down butter pecan just for a booty call. Ya know?

Here is your solution eat said wonderful sushi then throw up all over your roomate and his gf then walk out of resteraunt after drinking something to get the taste of vomit out of your mouth. Problem solved
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

Well, there's "Christian" which covers Catholics, Baptists, Jehovah's witnesses, Lutherans, and countless other religions ....... and then there is this breed of self proclaimed "Christians" who think they are different, the only "real Christians" and somehow better than the rest of the world because they found "Jesus" and can do whatever they feel like during the week as long as they go to church on Sunday. :S I understand his confusion. :P

I don't really think it's sustainable over the long-term to try to pretend you like something that you don't. I agree--go to a sushi place if your SO likes sushi, and then find something you can eat on the menu. I just don't see the point in pretending you like something you really don't like. Even if you pretend that it's something in common, it isn't really something in common. Eventually, pretending to be someone that you're not catches up with you. I think it's a lot easier if everyone just acts like themselves from the beginning.
TPM Sister #102

There's a huge difference between trying new things, being open and flexible and trying to be someone you are not just to please someone else.

And besides, most sushi places also serve things like teriyaki and tempura. You're covered......:P