likestojump

chipmunk in the house

so..... one of my cats apparently brought a LIVE chipmunk home. I was woken up by one of the cats going crazy - and once I turned the lights on, there she was, chasing the little creature. Chased it somewhere, but I could not get it out of the house.

What would be the recommended for Humane remedies ?

I was figuring a small squirrel trap and then just let it out outside. I just don't want the damn thing to die in the basement :(

I had a chipmunk in my house a few years ago. She gave birth to three babies at some point before I noticed her.... I found out about having chipmunks in the house when I smelled a dead something or other in the kitchen and a few days later three very young chipmunks were on my kitchen floor looking for food. Somehow they survived my cats (although apparently the mother did not). I fed them every day because they were too little to release. It got to the point that they'd bark for food in my kitchen every morning.

A few weeks later, I live trapped them and let them go.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

get a small "have-a-hart" trap.. bait it with a peanut butter on bread...

leave it set , overnight..
HOPE the damn thing goes in it, and springs it...

take it outside and release it.

get rid of the cat :oB|;);)

j

ps... two weeks ago, as I greet my wife in the kitchen at 6:45 Am and she hands me a cup of coffee, she also says,, " Jim there's a bat in the laundry room".... Just like THAT...
No shrieking, no hysterics, or anything!!>>>

I say... "WHAT????".. are you sure??. is it a Bird?? or a moth??? . She replies,, "I think it's a Bat.. :| it flew right past me'!!! [:/]

Whoa.. so i go to the room, which is separated into a laundry area, and a small office area,, with a glass french door...

Sure enough,, a damn Bat flies by me, and goes in the office...
So NOW i close the door behind it,, and I am outside the door,, adn this thing is Flying around INSIDE,, and it's freakin' BIG!!!!.. and I'm scared..... Whoa.. i'm thinking,, Imagine being in Nancy's shoes, and NOT expecting this,,, and here.. she WARNED me about it... and my knees are STILL knocking....:S[:/]:(:(... so anyway. I grab this wooden "in-box tray" for papers,,,, and I figure,, "i'm gonna lay this box over it,, once it lights on something,"
only it stops and before i could do it, it starts flying again... THEN i look closely and see that the box has a whole in it, and the bat wouldda flown out ANYWAY... sooo I change my plan. and find a small chunk of 1 by 4 pine, about 2 feet long..

I lurked behind the glass door, and as he ( I GUESS it was a HE...), is flying around, I wait til he's in the middle of the room, throw the door open, leap into the room, and swat at the poor thing, with this stick...[:/]
Bang...down he goes.. to the floor, still floppin' around ,[:/] so i had to bap him one more time.[:/] yuch!!!:(
i put the box over him, and shut the door...
an hour later i gingerly removed the box and w ith a plastic bag over my hand,:P:S went and wrapped him up and took him out....
EEEEEW... it was creepy , yet scientifically fascinating, all at once..
The wingspan was 12 inches, yet the body was smaller than a field mouse... ( or a chipmunk);)B|:)I looked around the house, to try to figure How it got inside,, and DID find an Attic window which was open about 6 inches, all
the way up, near the roof at the gable end of the house...So I closed it and thought,, "i sure hope no OTHERS got in"....
Later that day, our son awakens and says, "hey when i got in last night, there was a bat flying around,, It went in the laundry room so i closed the door behind it...".. ( and then he went to sleep)..
No Note on the door, No warning to Mom, No nothing...:S:|:S

Nancy Impressed the hell Out of me, with Her composure, upon being startled so early that next morning...
I hated to have to "take him out"...
I hate doing damage to anything that flies!!!!!!! but it was him against me...I tell ya' HIM against ME!!!!
good thing i found a stick!!! No tellin' what he couldda done to ME!!!!!!!!He was Blood thirsty i tell ya"!!! BLOODTHIRSTY!!!:o:|:S:ph34r::ph34r:

anyway.... i'm better now....
:|

good luck with "alvin".....at least he can't fly!!!!

speaking of which....

"a Fly and a Flea in a flue,
were imprisoned, so what could they do"?
Said the fly, "let's Flee"
Said the flea, "Let's Fly! "
So they flew through a flaw in the flue.!!!

jimmy:)