Squeak

The Inca Trail

Who's been on it, and what tour group did you use.
I am booking a trip this week ( you have to book in advance, they dont allow adhoc tours).
There's loads of people running them, was yours good, bad ok??
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Who's been on it, and what tour group did you use.
I am booking a trip this week ( you have to book in advance, they dont allow adhoc tours).
There's loads of people running them, was yours good, bad ok??

Is that like a Happy Trail? :o

Not a silly thread

The Inca Trail
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I walked it in 1980 while living in Urubamba 3 months. Took 5 days due to rains on day 3. Carried our own gear and food, was a tough haul at those altitudes. In those 5 days, maybe a total of 7 people were walking it.

Now you can only do the trail with guides. Trail is limited to 500 permits PER DAY. That is counting the tour guides and guys carrying your gear, setting up tents, cooking the meals etc, who make up 300 of the 500 permitted!
http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/treks/incatrail_regulations.html

Machu Picchu is truly wonderful. But the famed 'Inca Trail' itself only has 2 sites to see. The best and gorgeous and mysterious is Wiñay Wayna definitely a must see, but that is only a half hour walk from Machu Picchu.

The actual inca trail stretches from chile to ecuador. This site lists several alternative hikes/treks including other ways to Machu Picchu--why do what everyone else does....walk the 'roads less traveled'!!:
http://www.andeantravelweb.com/peru/treks/index.html

Other places worth seeing in the area are Pisac Market and ruins, Ollyantatambo, etc.

Dont forget to bring well broken-in hiking boots, sunscreen, big hat, warm clothes, lots of socks, bug repellent.

anda com dios hermano!
marc

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

We did a Peru Treks tour about 3 years ago, and it was great. I'd recommend them without hesitation.

And take the recommendation to arrive in Cusco early to acclimate seriously. We were there for about 3 days, and it was about right.

We did the 4-day trip; they offer a number of trips, as do most of the guide companies.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My friends (5 of us total) and I used SAS travel. We had 2 guides and about 9 other people in the group with us. They provided everything except for a sleeping bag I think, oh, and the alcohol.

We're 5 college aged kids in the military living in Colorado, so the hike was pretty easy for us and we often were way ahead of the other people in our group except for the first day when they want you to stay together.

Our tour guides were awesome, very knowledgeable and it was very evident they were passionate about their work and enjoyed it. I can't remember the cost per person, but I'm pretty sure it was reasonable.

It was a great trip and very breathtaking. Here is the companies website: http://www.sastravelperu.com/

I'd recommend the hotel they operate too, cheap rates but very nice rooms and great service. If you have any questions, let me know.

I've been needing to get away for some time, since I have not had a vacation in 2yrs .... and this looks just the ticket ;-)

Oh, now the planning needs to start ....

Thanks B|

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.

I've been needing to get away for some time, since I have not had a vacation in 2yrs .... and this looks just the ticket ;-)

Oh, now the planning needs to start ....

Thanks B|

I'll meet you at the Trail head on March 4th:)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?