wildfan75

Stupid Things People Say

"Are you OK?"

I asked that to someone at a funeral...instantly realized that was that worst thing I could have asked. No shit, of course they're not ok, they're at a fucking funeral.

also, I think in regards to the "he died doing what he loved" comment, I think we, as cognitive thinking human beings, will try and find anything to say to ease the soul of someone we care for. Some may want to die doing what they love, some what they hate, some don't want to die at all, but we must appreciate the thoughts of others when the mean it with a kind heart
:)

at least that's my take on it! :)

"Love all. Trust few. Do wrong to none." -Shakespeare

Gold Coast Skydivers
Pink Mafia #176

except that everyone says that, right along with "please accept my condoleances".
I'm always afraid I'll sound insincere or cliche.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Mostly, people don't say things to hurt us but after a loss, there really isn't anything that they could say that will help and silence wont help either. They just want to easy our pain in the best way that they can.

Ding ding ding!

Nothing anyone can say will make things better.

But at the same time, silence might be taken as indifference.

So they have to say something to let you know that you are in their thoughts and that they support you.

So don't take it as something personally insulting or stupid. Take it for the loving, caring expression that it's meant to be.

P.S.

And it does get easier over time. Instead of the heart-rending ache, and the horrible holidays spent crying and missing him, you'll grow to remember the good times you had with him, with a smile on your face. It takes years, but it'll come. Hang in there.

Practice makes perfect.

Wrong, Perfect practice makes perfect. You can practice something wrong as long as you want. That will not make you any better at it.

this is sooooo true. i gotta remember this one. :)

After a friend was in a car accident, somebody told me that God must have really been watching out for him because he wasn't hurt that bad.

I'm thinking that if you are really doing a good job looking out for someone, then they don't get in an accident at all.

Can you imagine a babysitter that let the house catch fire, but says, "I saved your DVD collection".

Another saying, "If life gives you lemons, then you make lemonade"

If life gives them salmon, do they get salmonella?

Dammit, I want no lemons. Problem avoidance, not problem mitigation.

PS: If you need a laugh I can send you a picture of me in my wingsuit. :P

:D Unfortunately the image of you in your wingsuit, with matching shorts, t-shirt, rig, socks and tennis shoes is something that sticks in the brain. No picture needed.

Hopefully we'll see you for the film festival on Saturday night...just need to talk someone into being a DD to drive to Baldwin and back.

Ya when my father passed away a few months ago at 60 years old friends told me "It's all part of god's plan". I know they meant well but most of my friends know me enough to know that I don't buy into that type of talk. God's plan blows, but that's life.

Stupid Things People Say:

"God needed her/him in heaven."

OH, really? God, who has always existed, and who will exist for all eternity, couldn't spare our loved one for a few more measly decades? He had to take her right fucking NOW?! Even though after those extra decades he could take her and have her in heaven for eternity?! What a fucking moronic thing to say. It shows you how irrationally stupid people can get.

Oh, and we see this poem repeated in the memoriam ads in the local paper:

"If tears could build a stairway
and memories a lane
I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again."

Excuse me?! You're acknowledging that your loved one is in HEAVEN; and you, who claim to love them, would actually go RETRIEVE him from heaven and bring him back to EARTH?! Gee, that's real fuckin' thoughtful! And about infinitely selfish! >:(
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

After a friend was in a car accident, somebody told me that God must have really been watching out for him because he wasn't hurt that bad.

I'm thinking that if you are really doing a good job looking out for someone, then they don't get in an accident at all.

SO many of the stupidass things people say pertain to their religious beliefs. This thread belongs in Speakers Corner so we can really cut loose...

I love it when people cite that they survived a disaster because God intervened on their behalf.

You take a ferry boat sinking. Someone survives and says, "God was looking out for me. It's a miracle I survived." Gee, what was God telling the people he LET DIE? "Fuck you!"?? :S

Now, what if those who died were taken to heaven? Suddenly it seems that being allowed to live was not the blessing; being allowed to die was...
Imaginations on fire

except that everyone says that, right along with "please accept my condoleances".
I'm always afraid I'll sound insincere or cliche.

No, I'll tell you what sounds insincere and cliched:
"Our thoughts and prayers are with so-and-so..."

>:( IT IS TIME TO [I]RETIRE[/I] THAT TIRED PIECE OF SHIT LINE! And yet, it is becoming MORE popular and common.
Imaginations on fire

I had a boss who had a funny retort when you'd complain about how hot it was:

"Oh, don't worry, that's just the temperature." :D

My dad has a saying that he got from his mom, and it's not a stupid one, it's actually one I like a lot and believe in and use often: "Things have a way of working out."

It's true: they do. :)

Imaginations on fire

PS: If you need a laugh I can send you a picture of me in my wingsuit. :P

:D Unfortunately the image of you in your wingsuit, with matching shorts, t-shirt, rig, socks and tennis shoes is something that sticks in the brain. No picture needed.

Hopefully we'll see you for the film festival on Saturday night...just need to talk someone into being a DD to drive to Baldwin and back.

You should see me now ... I've got a camera helmet to finish the look out! :D

PS: Designated driver from where or to where?
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch