plutoniumsalmon

What canopy

Hello.
I am looking to buy a new canopy and am stuck between a fusion and a sabre 2. My weight is 190 (not exit weight) and plan to buy a 170. I have jumped the fusion 170 twice this weekend and really liked it. So what I wanted to know is: How is it different from a Sabre 2? Is there a quality difference? And, what would resell better when I downsize. What are the different flight characteristics?

thanks
Pointy birds
Oh pointy pointy
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy

Not flaming you here at all -

I beg you to re-consider you choice in canopy size. You're probably about 215 out the door, and a 170 will put you at a 1.26 wing loading, which is very high, based on your published jump numbers.

There is absolutely no shame whatsoever in downsizing slowly. If anything you'll earn more respect.

Easy Does It

I can't comment about the Fusion, as I'm not familiar with its characteristics, but here is what the manufacturer has to say: http://www.precision.aero/fusion.htm.

As for a Sabre2, it is a great intermediate to experienced canopy and can be an "acceptable" beginner canopy in large sizes at light wing loadings (but there may be better choices). Read the flight characteristics and max recommended wing loading chart on the PD website: http://www.performancedesigns.com/docs/Sabre2-Flight.pdf (pdf download).

I do agree with Lenny that a 170 at that wingloading, with your experience level (judging only by jump #'s because that's all I have) is a bit of an aggressive choice. Even if 190 were your exit weight, it would not be my first choice. I'm surprised your instructors ok'd you to try a 170, if they were consulted, that is.

If you are receiving canopy coaching you might be ok with that size, but a 210 would still likely be more appropriate.

With canopies, size does matter. ;)

Kim
Watch as I attempt, with no slight of hand, to apply logic and reason.

...what Dumpster said. A 170 is a pretty aggressive choice.

That aside, a Sabre2 and Fusion are the same "class" of canopy so it comes down to personal preference. The biggest difference between them is the lines. The Sabre2 has Spectra and the Fusion has Technora (HMA) without any cascades, i.e. there is a separate line from each attachment point to the risers.

Sabre2s will generally resell faster and hold their value better than a Fusion but you can buy a new Fusion http://theskydivestore.com/ for much cheaper so there is a trade-off. I've owned Precision, Icarus, and PD canopies and haven't seen any glaring differences in quality, but PD does have the best reputation in this area.

Jump both and pick the one you like best. Plus a 190 of either canopy would be easy to sell if you downsize later. There will always be plenty of new skydivers itching to buy it.

Nice sig btw... LA Story?
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

I'd say the Fusion has consistantly better openings than the Sabre2. The flight is similar, the Sabre 2 having the meat of the flare higher in the control range than the Fusion. The Sabre 2 will probably resell a little better, but I wouldn't use that as a major selection criteria.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I know this thread is a bit old but I have the same question as the topic-starter.

I haven't had the chance to demo the Fusion. I want to ask those of you experienced with the Sabre2 and the Fusion how the recovery arc between the 2 compares. I'll be loading it also at 1.26.

Thanx for any info.

This is an old thread but I wanted to comment because of the canopy and exit weight discussion.

I once owned a Sabre2 190 that I bought brand new and I liked the two stage flare but I hated the openings. Now before anyone jumps the gun about blaming the packers, Performance Designs ruled that my specific canopy was dangerous and they were unable to locate the problem through troubleshooting. My particular Sabre2 slammed so hard that it took me out of the air for 2 weeks and their test jumper out of the air for 10 days. It was packed by many senior riggers, packers, and test pilots at PD and it still slammed hard on opening. Now I am not saying that all Sabre 2's do that..... just the one I had.

I would like to compliment and praise the wonderful service at Performance Designs because Donna Wagner in production had emailed me and called me up stating they were sincerely apologetic for the issues and due to the difficulty in locating the problem, Performance Designs was willing to manufacture a brand new canopy for me with customer colors, model, and size of my choice at NO CHARGE !!!! (size & model restricted to experience and number of jumps)

I was thrilled at her offer and happy that PD truly cares about their customers. I told Ms. Wagner that I had 270 jumps at that time and that the smallest canopy I've flown was a Spectre 170. I after testing canopies, I chose the Stiletto 170. PD then contacted my DZ's S&TA and DZO to verify my statement about experience and after confirming the information and clearing it with a PD manager, I was given a brand new Stiletto 170.

My exit weight is 211 lbs and I love the Stiletto 170.

I couldn't tell you about the Fusion but I love the Stiletto and how it flares. As far as size, it appears that our exit weight is similar and PD had no issue with releasing a 170 to me.

Blue skies my friend. I hope this helps.

Does anyone else find it funny that we made a SPORT out of an EMERGENCY PROCEDURE?!?!