Superman32

Different RSL question

I got a demo canopy, and after packing, I noticed that the mini risers don't have RSL ring.
I think I know the answer but I'll ask the stupid question anyway. Is there a way to connect the RSL (skyhook) if the ring isn't there?
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

No. You need a set of risers that have the ring(s) to connect it. You can, of course, jump the demo canopy without the RSL if your local regulations allow it.

Just make sure the RSL clip isn't left flapping free. Connecting it to the cutaway cable housing is a popular way of preventing that; another way is hooking it around itself.

No. You need a set of risers that have the ring(s) to connect it.

That's not entirely true. There is a legal modification (i.e. - it has FAA approval) for the addition of a ring to a riser that does not have one. It's a larkshead-type design and has been around for quite a few years...of course, it needs to be built to spec. and all that good stuff. It's totally removable and can be fit to almost any main riser, either side.

It was originally written to be a "Loft certification", but as the FAA doesn't allow that (I think they used to??), the individual components have to be built by a specific master rigger who has submitted paperwork to the FAA to built the parts.

You can contact Action Air Parachutes http://www.actionair.com and speak with Ray Ferrell. He holds the authorization...it's a really easy gig and it allows any set of risers to be fit for use with an RSL.

For those that are going to throw out the "you can't do that because you're not a manufacturer" card, it was very thoroughly researched and, yes, it can be done. Main risers are not part of the TSO, and a properly authorized and manufactured part can be fitted to a rig by a certified master rigger. Most mfgs. don't like to tell you that, but it's the truth. Master riggers have the ability to determine compatibility between parts...

Anyway, it's a nice way to retrofit any risers to fit an RSL!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

Now, you might want help from a rigger on this one if you are not 100% sure how to do it, but who says you can't install the demo canopy on YOUR risers that has the RSL loop?

You will want to make sure the risers match in length and where the brake line attaches in the stowed position is the same so the brake line trim is not changed, but the process is not hard.

If you have not installed a canopy onto risers before, this might be a good opportunity to sit down with a rigger and learn the process...

Guest 1010

Now, you might want help from a rigger on this one if you are not 100% sure how to do it, but who says you can't install the demo canopy on YOUR risers that has the RSL loop?

(newbie here)

1) The original risers would have to be reinstalled on the demo before being sent back the the manufacturer. What is the particular cert required to make that legal ... for the next someone other then himself to jump it?

2) I'd also give the manufacturer rep the courtesy of telling them I put their risers back on after using my own.

btw, I just jumped a demo without the RSL. The demo was a PDR 176, not some napkin. Pulled high on all.

You can have it good, fast, or cheap: pick two.