kallend

Actor Paul Newman dies

I liked his Slapshot movie best of all. Funny shit. One of the great legends of all time for sure. [:/]

'Slapshot' was entertaining no doubt~

...but 'The Color of Money'... putting he and Cruise together, was one of the finer 'acted' movies ever made.

'The Hustler' tie-in was pure genius.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I liked his Slapshot movie best of all. Funny shit. One of the great legends of all time for sure. [:/]

'Slapshot' was entertaining no doubt~

...but 'The Color of Money'... putting he and Cruise together, was one of the finer 'acted' movies ever made.

'The Hustler' tie-in was pure genius.

Yes, much better story and acting. I agree. Worthy of the movie awards.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

and one of my all time faves

The Great Escape

He did the majority of the stunts in his films.

Always fun to watch and did a lot to help those in need.

uh.......Steve McQueen???
:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

and one of my all time faves

The Great Escape

He did the majority of the stunts in his films.

Always fun to watch and did a lot to help those in need.

Talk about brain lock. OOOOOPs
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Talk about brain lock. OOOOOPs

:D Way to lighten the tone of the thread there Gramps! :P

Just as I was about to ask why I seem to wake up to sad news on this thread every week, you gave me a chuckle.
Truly sad news, though. Since no one's mentioned it, I can be the first to tip my Rasta Stetson to Butch & Sundance: the first, greatest, and still most influential of all "buddy" films, and one of those movies that'll keep me home on a Sunday afternoon whenever it's on.
HAPPY TRAILS, BUTCH. The world is noticeably less classy place today.
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

Sometime this winter treat yourself to what was, for its time a very racy movie. The Long Hot Summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0IeZXtMrA

Based on stories by William Faulkner it stars, along with Newman, Orson Welles, Joanne Woodward, Lee Remick and Tony Fransciosa.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Time marches on doesn't it? Sat here this morning remembering all the great movies. One more american icon is gone.[:/]

As I approach the half century mark it doesn't seem that long ago that I sat in the theatre amazed at the ending of The Sting, or secretly wanting to spend my time honing my pool skills and set out to Atlantic City to become a hustler. Celluloid hero. At least we can still watch him and enjoy.

Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

I'm a fan of his movies and his salad dressing. Perhaps not so odd, that I had recently seen "Road to Perdition" and "Fat Man & Little Boy".
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

a fine and wonderful Man, Actor and Philanthropist.

My wife and i had the occasion to Meet Him and Joanne Woodward, in the most Unlikeliest situation....

we were visiting in Wash. DC it was about 7 or 8 years ago,,,
and we went to the smithsonian gallery of ART...
nancy and the kids were wandering in and out of the various Gallery rooms, and I was sitting on a sofa in one of them,, noticing people.....

Well I look around, and there is ONLY 1 other person in the room with me, a Man who is reading the details about a painting hanging on the wall.. Well i see the man, and he is wearing these bifocals,, waaay down on the end of his nose... i do a double take... Hmmm.
I remain seated and say nothing til my wife returns and I say to her.... " Jeeze.. look at that man, over there,,,, if that guy was a little Younger looking, and a Little taller.. he could be Paul Newman"... hahaha.:|:S

well just then, Joanne Woodward walks into the room to stand next to him.. adn we both realize.. that He IS P. newman, and she is Mrs. paul newman...:o:)
wow... well i stand up and move to a place where i could get a better angle on seeing their faces.. and He looks at me...!!!!!:oB|

so i move closer and say.. "hello," "we have enjoyed all your works, both of you,, since The Long Hot Summer",,,, and he says, thanks...
I then turn to look at my family,, and as i head back to the sofa where they are seated,, i'm nodding my head and grinning,, and sorta whispering to nancy,, " Yes,, they ARE Paul and Joanne..."
Unbeknownst to me,,,,, MR newman,,, Is following me and walks past me and sticks out his hand to Nancy and shakes her hand.. and says Hello....they spoke briefly and he returned to where His Wife was standing

That was it.... we were the only people in that room, and Had i not been paying attention,, we would have Missed them, entirely...

We did not want to raise a whole big Intrusion into Their personal time, so i simply nodded, numbly, said 'wonderful to meet you,, and we left the room...

hahahaha. We spent the rest of the day, telling everyone we ran accrosss.. "My wife just shook hands with Paul newman..." I told 4 or 5 STRANGERS on the Metro Train, and they all looked at me Like i was crazy.... :S hahaha

That night while reading the Lifestyles section of the Wash Post. I saw a small article indicating the Mr. Newman and Ms. Woodward were visiting the city at that time, scouting locations for an upcoming Movie..

we felt thrilled and very very lucky to have enjoyed that encounter...B|;):)

I still kick myself to this day,,,for failing to think quickly and at least Offering,,, to them, an invitation to join us for dinner, as OUR guests...Could you imagine what FUN ,, that would have been....???

I was very impressed by the fact, that they seemed just like so many other tourists,,, No entourage, No "staffers" ,,just regular people enjoying a visit to the art museum...

May God welcome him warmly to a well deserved place in the Heavens....

jmy:)

Sometime this winter treat yourself to what was, for its time a very racy movie. The Long Hot Summer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr0IeZXtMrA

Based on stories by William Faulkner it stars, along with Newman, Orson Welles, Joanne Woodward, Lee Remick and Tony Fransciosa.

Oh my god, do I love that movie....I wasn't even born when it was made, and stumbled across it one day about 8 years ago on a pbs station when there was nothing else on. I fell in love with Paul Newman then!

I'm a child of the late sixties and seventies, and a lot of the movies he was doing then like "Inferno" didn't interest me, and the stuff he did ealier passed over me without notice...I just wasn't at a place to appreciate any of it. So, other than Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Paul Newman was someone I was aware of, thought he was handsome, but never appreciated....until I saw The Long Hot Summer.

I've since caught up with a lot of his work, but The Long Hot Summer is still my favorite Paul Newman movie. The scene he does in the middle of the movie, standing on the balcony in his shorts talking into Clara's room (his wife, Joanne Woodward played Clara), is so great...it's so sexy without being vulgar, and as you say, was considered racy for the time.

As it happened Friday afternoon I was flipping through channels and caught Torn Curtain and was able to watch it start to finish. It was directed by Alfred Hitchcock and is a suspense film in the tradition of Rear Window...Paul Newman and Julie Andrews starred.

Anyway, after it was over I began wondering how this great old movie star was really doing since there had been stuff in the tabloids about him being ill...and I silently wished him well.

So I was really taken aback when it was announced the next morning he had passed away Friday. God bless him...he really was wonderful all the way around.

As Airdvr said, sometime this winter treat yourself to The Long Hot Summer.;)

P.S. JimmyT: That's a cool story!
"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Way back in the early '70s, if I could find my logbook from the time I would know exactly, probably '71 or '72, I attended an Instructor Certification Course at PelicanLand in Ridgely, MD.

I was good friends with Jim McIntyre, then chief instructor for the DZ, and also a candidate for the I rating. We sat together for all the classwork. Before the formality of the course started, Jim leaned over to me and said, "Bernie, see that guy back there sitting next to so and so...do you recognize him?"

I said, "Well, he does look kind of familiar. Who is it?"

Jim replied, "That's Scott Newman, Paul's son."

He then went on to tell me a Paul Newman story which I'll retell for you...

Scott jumped at Pelicanland quite a bit in his early years. One day, totally unannounced, Paul shows up to watch Scott jump. The place was packed with people, as usual, but there were more people than normally because some woman, a beautiful model-type, was there for the FJC with an entourage of photographers and make-up people.

Jim told me that she was a runner up to Miss America or some such beauty award. There were photographers all over to take pictures of her. Jim said that most of the pictures the photographers took either were of Paul Newman or of him in any pictures they took of the woman. After a while she got pretty pissed, and showed it, because Paul was upstaging most of what she did...simply by his presence.

At the end of the day, Jim took the First Jump Certificate, which he would have normally sign and given to his students, over to Paul and said, "Mr. Newman, would you be kind enough to sign this FJC certificate for Miss WhatsHerName?" Paul said he would and signed his name on the certificate.

Jim then took the certificate to the woman and told her, "I got Mr. Newman to sign your certificate for you."

She replied, "I don't want a certificate signed by that bastard. He's been upstaging me all day by getting into all my pictures!"

So, now, in 2008, after his death, some egotistical woman can't show people her FJC certificate with his name on it.

Hey, Jim, in the unlikely event that you read DZ.com...send me an email. I'd love to catch up on the last 30+ years!
Guru312

I am not DB Cooper