DSE

Gas cap suggestions?

Came back to a parking lot tonight to find my Chevy Avalanche had been siphoned to where it wouldn't even start.

I have a cheap locking gas cap. Obviously it didn't help. Truck was parked under bright lights in a parking lot next to the police station of all places.

There has to be a quality gas cap that someone has experience with?

I'm just grateful they didn't drill my gas tank.

Came back to a parking lot tonight to find my Chevy Avalanche had been siphoned to where it wouldn't even start.

I have a cheap locking gas cap. Obviously it didn't help. Truck was parked under bright lights in a parking lot next to the police station of all places.

There has to be a quality gas cap that someone has experience with?

If they want it they'll get the cap off.
I'd be carrying a 2 gallon (5 litre) fuel can in the truck if your worried, and if it looks like becoming more common, dont put to a lot of fuel in the truck for local funnig.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

wouldnt be a very difficult install just remove the filler flex hose bend a piece of grating around the lower tube where the flex hose connects

reconnect your filler flex hose.

now if they cant get your gas will they be pissed off and torch or damage your ride?????
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

This is what concerns me. I drive a Honda Civic Hybrid so I think the bad guys take one look at it and decide the amount of gas it would hold isn't worth the problem. But a drilled tank would suck big green donkey dicks.

This situation is similar to when I owned a Jeep with a soft top. I was afraid a thief would slash the $500 top to steal my cheesy ass stereo or whatever, so I always just left the jeep unlocked and made sure not to leave anything in it I couldn't afford to lose. I would suggest a similar plan as the gas situation gets worse: make it so the thief doesn't need to do any damage to get to the tank, and only fill up to a half-tank or less to minimize the damage to your wallet when they do stop by. I know, I know, easier said than done.

Elvisio "been there" Rodriguez

>>during the gas crisis of 1973/74 i chased a gas thief from my driveway with a shotgun and a german sheppard

Right on!

I hear crooks are not even using the filler pipe and just popping holes in the tank for a quick drain....not cool!

I am thinking about filling up a 55 gal drum, when gas goes down with some Sta Bil added and storing it in a locked shed .
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

We need a new bumper sticker...

"PEOPLE WHO STEAL FROM SKYDIVERS HAVE A VERY SHORT LIFE EXPECTANCY"

Yep, that oughta do it.

Otherwise, I've seen a device that looks like a big coil spring. You put it into your tank and it does not allow a siphon tube in. I'll have my Auto Mechanics students go on line and see if we can find it.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

One of the trucks parked in the lot outside my office had the tank punched. Whatever they brought to catch the gas must not have fit under the tank because there was a gas slick covering the parking lot. Fire dept was called out.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

make it so the thief doesn't need to do any damage to get to the tank, and only fill up to a half-tank or less to minimize the damage to your wallet when they do stop by. I know, I know, easier said than done.

Elvisio "been there" Rodriguez

Agree. Locks are for keeping honest people honest. They are no deterent for theives of this level. It will more likely piss them off.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3236975;search_string=siphoned%20fuel;#3236975

I dealt with my fuel being siphoned earlier this summer, however the jerk jacked up the fuel access door and paint on the side of my car with a screwdriver. I tried to get a locking gas cap but none fit my Toyota Camry. Furthermore, the dealership maintenance department strongly advised against them for Toyota's due to air pressure.

It sucks that times have gotten to this point again, like back in the 70s. But, I'd take my car being jacked up and fuel being siphoned over what my cousins recently experienced after Hurricane Ike. They were held at gunpoint in the middle of the night by someone randomly going door to door and asking for gas money. He shot out the stained glass in their front door to demonstrate that he was serious about shooting them if they didnt give him money.