grue

"I'm seeing someone, but I admire your confidence"

Yeah, but the OP doesn't tell us the context: fellow student on campus? co-worker? just met her at a bar or party? etc.

Why would any of that matter? It still seems like common sense to find out the relationship status before asking someone out for a date.

Who knows? Sometimes, the opportunity's so fleeting you just gotta go for it.

Which is fine. But then don't act like an ass if she responds with "I'm seeing someone."

Not saying that you would, but several of these threads have made it clear that some guys think a woman is a bitch if she responds that way. And I've been in that situation myself before, where the guy asked me out and then started acting like a total asshole after I told him I was married (as if I was lying or something).

I didn't really have the opportunity. The situation was pretty fluid, so I had to make the decision to either ask or die wondering. I'm still a little surprised I worked up the stones to ask, since normally I'm… well, a bit of a pussy really :D

I didn't mean to imply I thought she was a bitch, in fact the thread is mostly a joke. I just thought the choice of wording was… odd. I'm used to "Oh, well, I'm seeing someone…", I've never received a semi-compliment (or veiled insult!) when asking someone out.

Again, mostly a joke thread, hence the :D in the original post.

cavete terrae.

I didn't mean to imply I thought she was a bitch, in fact the thread is mostly a joke.

Sorry, I didn't mean to direct that at you either. I'm being way too serious for a bonfire thread anyway, so I'll just chill out now.

And you're right; it was an odd choice of wording. I don't think I could have said that with a straight face. :D

What did you say to her? Were you the polite young gentleman that we all know and love?

OK, I just spit out my cookie I was eating. Is this the same grue that tells the joke about 6 year olds and trunks?:o
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

What did you say to her? Were you the polite young gentleman that we all know and love?

OK, I just spit out my cookie I was eating. Is this the same grue that tells the joke about 6 year olds and trunks?:o

:)
cavete terrae.

Why didn't she just say, "Oh, that's so cute! He actually thought he had a chance with *me*!"

The seeing someone line is hopefully honest, but I think you need to be very tactful. The last time I was asked out I was seeing someone and my answer was, "Thank you so mucih but I've been seeing someone for a while. But I am sooooo *flattered* you asked!" ;)

A+ :$

.......So...uhhh.. How YOU doin'?.... ;)

"Thank you so mucih but I've been seeing someone for a while. But I am sooooo *flattered* you asked!"

:D:D:D

I was waiting for that.
So we have compassionate, clever AND funny. .....Good combo.

Too bad I don't believe you. :P
OrFunV/LocoBoca Rodriguez/Sonic Grieco/Muff Brother #4411
-"and ladies....messin with Robbie is venturing into territory you cant even imagine!-cuz Robbie is

If you hit on her, gave her a line or some other transparent comment, then I'd say her response was full of sarcasm.

But if you just asked her out, then it seems she was saying thanks for asking, I have a boyfriend and I dont cheat on him, but its nice that YOU have the balls to ask a woman out, unlike a lot of men. I'd take it as a compliment.

Sorry you didn't get the "prize" though. You should have asked her if her sister is seeing someone. :ph34r:

I can't remember the precise wording, but I was chatting with her about this and that for a few minutes, and then I said something along the lines of "So, um, this is probably a bit forward, but do you want to grab a coffee or something sometime?"

Again, my brain went into post-rejection memory-wipe mode, but it was in that general vein.
cavete terrae.

that's when you give her your number anyway and say "call me when you're ready to upgrade".

What little confidence I do actually have is generally akin to a flaming aircraft crashing into a minefield by the point where I'm getting rejected. The chances of me to actually spit a line like that are, at best, very very low ;)
cavete terrae.

that's when you give her your number anyway and say "call me when you're ready to upgrade".

What little confidence I do actually have is generally akin to a flaming aircraft crashing into a minefield by the point where I'm getting rejected. The chances of me to actually spit a line like that are, at best, very very low ;)

Maybe with learning all that Russian, you can finally pick up a Russian girl. :P:D

Maybe with learning all that Russian, you can finally pick up a Russian girl. :P:D

Epic win!
cavete terrae.

Epic win!

Hahah...you sound just like..an OTer. :D

Which is fine. But then don't act like an ass if she responds with "I'm seeing someone."

Not saying that you would, but several of these threads have made it clear that some guys think a woman is a bitch if she responds that way. And I've been in that situation myself before, where the guy asked me out and then started acting like a total asshole after I told him I was married (as if I was lying or something).

I'll bet that makes you glad you were not available at the time and hooked up with the guy who had the potential to be such an asshole just for being declined.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

What the fuck is that supposed to be, a consolation prize?! :|:D

What, a person who's seeing someone already when they get hit on is obligated to just drop him and go out with you??

Again, it was a joke, mostly. Though honestly I'm getting to the point where I'd almost prefer a straight "no, and I'm not giving you a reason either", because it all just sounds so manufactured. That's why I posted it, because who honestly says something like that and means it?
cavete terrae.

Well, I wasn't there, and didn't get to hear the delivery or how "manufactured" it may have sounded, but I thought that it seemed she was honestly being respectful, almost giving you a, "You have what it takes; next time if the girl's available, you're gonna succeed" kinda pep-talk.
Spirits fly on dangerous missions
Imaginations on fire

Well, I wasn't there, and didn't get to hear the delivery or how "manufactured" it may have sounded, but I thought that it seemed she was honestly being respectful, almost giving you a, "You have what it takes; next time if the girl's available, you're gonna succeed" kinda pep-talk.

Entirely possible, I suppose.
cavete terrae.