FreeFallFreddie

Mirage Systems

For anyone that is interested in purchasing a new skydiving rig or container, I strongly recommend Mirage Systems. I have only been skydiving for about six months now, but I was able to jump a few rigs and of them all, I enjoyed the mirage the most. Naturally, I decided to check them out when it was time to buy my own. I purchased a new Mirage G4 directly from Mirage Systems and they could not have been more helpful and informative. My Mirage rep was Ward and he helped me design the container from the ground up. The honesty and ample communication made the process easy and fun. The container was expensive, but was completely worth it. It came out exactly how I wanted it. The only thing that was not perfect was that the design on my cutaway handle, which was slightly offest. Not to my surprise, Mirage promptly informed me that they will send me a new cutaway with a centered design free of charge. The company's customer service is excellent. Overall, Mirage is a great company and makes a high quality container. I highly recommend doing business with them.
~Freddie Ephraim

I do love my mirage - I got it last year.

The only problem I have is that when transitioning to HD, one shoulder slips off. then I'm flying with a crooked rig. The yolk can be tight enough to not let this happen if I have the chest strap tightened so the laterals are with in 3 inches of eachother. Then the laterals & chest rings are right on top of )& very painfully so) my breasts.

Mirages response. If you're jumping something as big as a 135 (my M1 container meant to fit a 120 - 135, though I squish a 150 in), our design assumes you are a bigger person w/ broader shoulders. When discussing this with them I brought up how I have a tiny 100# 5ft tall friend that just started jumping. She's on a 150 & would literally fall out of the rig, if she stood on her head you could pull it right over her shoulders no matter how tight the chest strap was pulled. They said, yup, that could happen. But we can't tell people to jump smaller rigs.

Also, another issue is that when I do decide to chinch the chest strap down that tightly, it is VERY difficult to loosen under canopy. my last jump of the season, my fingers were so cold I couldn't do it I even tried after taking my gloves off. Lets just say it was a very uncomfortable ride down!! Having your risers literally infront of your face is no fun at all!!

Apparently all the webbing fits fine, just the yoke is too wide. And since I didn't start HD till about 8 months after getting the rig, I didn't notice the issue - and so it can not be fixed with out buying a whole new rig (which would probably need to fit an even smaller main/reserve combo - which I am not ready for).

Sorry for the rant, it's something I've needed to get off my chest (:S) for a while now.

edited to add:

That Justin (the Mirage rep at the time) measured me. And I have had extensive conversations w/ Ward - nothing.

Oh, forgot to say that I'm glad you like yours!! Enjoy, it really is so comfortable any other time!

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)

Ask them if they can fit a structural belly band tied into the laterals and running inside the main lift webs. If you suffer a premature opening of either canopy while in a head down position you WILL come out of your harness without a belly band. Either that or don't do head down with this rig.
Not trying to frighten you just make you safer.
you probably don't know me or my history in the sport, ask someone who does, I used to design and build sport rigs. It can be done quite easily.

Mick Cottle. Reflex designer/ manufacturer, master rigger AFF I, etc.

What method do you use to loosen the chest strap while under canopy? I have found that hooking my thumbs under the MLW and pushing them together in front of my chest whilst simultaneously pulling the friction adapter forward loosens it very easily regardless of how tight my chest strap is since you are "unloading" the adapter before you loosen it. I also keep my chest strap very tight since I am tall/thin and the rig wasn't custom made for me. I have had my chest strap get "stuck" before when using a different technique to loosen it but 0 problems after someone showed me a better way to do it.

edit: to add that even if your chest strap is max tight, if you exhale as you push on the MLW and pull the adapter it will come loose since you just further unloaded it.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

The only problem I have is that when transitioning to HD, one shoulder slips off.

(newbie here) I couldn't & wouldn't jump a rig that did that to me. I like mine tight.

Anyway, I just posted pics of my new G4 here, all went well with the rig/fit/order etc. Not a thread out of place on the rig, and delivered fast too. :)
Mirage Systems

So unfortunately they can't accomodate abnormal shoulder spans...I just ordered a new rig, so hope that isn't the case with my manufacturer.. :|
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

I've seen how your rig fits you, and the fact the Mirage has been unwilling to help fix your problem is shocking, and to me - speaks volumes about their (lack of) commitment to good customer service.

What drives me nuts about this is they say : "If you're jumping a 135, we assume you're a bigger person"... Since when is a 135 a big parachute?!?!? And, what makes it even more crazy is that you are a "bigger" person. For those who don't know her, Ericah is in great shape and has a big frame.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I don't think that is a fair statement. No company is perfect, not Sunpath, Aerodyne, Mirage, RI, or anyone else... I have had no problems with Mirage customer service personally and have dealt with them a few times. I know people that have, but were well compensated for the hassle that was caused. What does that say about their customer service? Maybe that no one is perfect, but they do their best.

A comment that a 135 is a "big" parachute is pretty silly though.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Erica did not "slip through the cracks". They explicitly told her they would not help her, even though they mesured her for the rig, and it never fit.

I'm not going to carry this torch any further, because ultimately that's Ericas job if she wants it. If I were in her position, I would have been screaming loudly when the issue first raised itself.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've seen how your rig fits you, and the fact the Mirage has been unwilling to help fix your problem is shocking, and to me - speaks volumes about their (lack of) commitment to good customer service.

hmm...how many times have I said this in the past....:|:|:S:S:S:|:|:|

Marc
otherwise known as Mr.Fallinwoman....

Thank you Andy for giving a second opinion!

My mirage fits great all the time execpt when I transition to HD from sit (ie. cartwheel). I thought my rig fit perfectly until I started this (regularly used) maneuver.

Justin actually physically measured me, it was a complete :$ sizing. I've had my dzo take pics fully suited up & when standing the rig fits correctly. It's just that the shoulder straps can be pulled off to the side - or pushed off by the air.

Mirage's further explanation is that when using a 135 main & a 143 reserve, that much fabric has to fit somewhere & so the yolk must be wider. Like Andy said, I'm not a small person by any standard.

To losen the chest strap I do use the squeeze the laterals together method, however, when they're already with in inches of eachother & I'm literally hanging off the back of them it can be difficult at times. And if I've had some bizarre opening or something & now I'm low & needing to get into the landing pattern, I don't really have time to be screwing around trying to loosen it.

Riggermick - I have seen you a lot on here & know the great input you have. I am interested in doing whatever I can to make this (quite expensive) custom rig as safe as possible. I purchased it because my old rig was not freefly friendly & now that say 15 out of my 230 annual jumps are freefly & more than half of those are HD - it really chaps my hide that this happens. I've only seen a normal belly band that sits about bellybutton level - I just can't picture how that's going to keep me in my rig. I could get a band that goes from shoulder to shoulder - but that would probably decapitate me on opening.

The better harness/container manufacturers have several different size yoke patterns.
When I worked at Rigging Innovations (1994 to 1997) Sandy went through the whole hassle of learning how to design more than one size of yoke.
The process started with a retired professional football player and ended with a 5'0", 100 pound member of the Canadian National Style and Accuracy Team.

For example: Sun Path has: O, A, B, C and D sized yoke patterns. These yoke patterns vary in width (to fit wide or narrow reserve containers) as well as length (distance from the top of reserve container, over the shoulder to the 3-Rings). Women with small shoulders tend to buy Javelins with O or A sized yokes, while football players buy D-sized yokes.

Jump Shack has also built a bunch of different yoke sizes to accommodate the full range of tiny to huge shoulders.

I've only seen a normal belly band that sits about bellybutton level - I just can't picture how that's going to keep me in my rig.

If the belly band is structurly tied to the lateral straps and is cinched sugly around your waist it will hold you in the harness long enough to be pulled upright instead of falling through the yoke, even if the shoulder webbing is over your bicep instead of your clavacal (sp?). Dont get me wrong it's not going to be a comfortable opening by any stretch of the imagination in fact it may damage you for a while, but it sure beats the hell out of being in FF with out a rig! Call them and MAKE them install one it's not a major job for the factory, in fact you don't even have to have the reserve out but it is easier if you do. Good luck.

Yes, I'm replying to myself - oh, well. I just need to get it out there that my Mirage has been fixed!! Yea! now it is perfect!! When tightened to jump run ready I can barely even pull the shoulders off my shoulders. The "big guy" took a full inch out of the harness under each mud flap & all the stagger out the leg strap attachment (the webbing between the leg straps & the hip rings).

Now it is the most comfortable rig ever!! And it don't move an inch.

Anyway, I complain when stuff is wrong & I give praise when things go well. Now things are great & I am giving praise to Mirage! Too bad I complained all over the place - I have lotsa bad advertising to correct. But I'm perfectly happy to do so!!

Erica

As a Mirage G4.1 Owner I'm happy to hear your rig now fits. My main lift web was to tight on my G4 and I dropped it off at the factory in Deland. I have a Unisyn harness. It took Mike about 4 hours to replace the center part of the MLW with a longer one and the rig fits good now.

Chris

I dropped it off at the factory in Deland. I have a Unisyn harness. It took Mike about 4 hours to replace the center part of the MLW with a longer one and the rig fits good now.

Chris,

Are you sure his name was Mike. Apart from our harness ladies, I am the only other person here that could do that job and I only do that in special cases. Like when I’m doing something new, different or want it to be perfect for someone special like Erica.

Jeff

Your right Jeff my opologies, You did the work for me and it didn't take very long. I was doing something else that day in Orlando and picked up the rig the next morning. Jeff you and the fine folks at Mirage always have taken care of me with both of my rigs and have done your best to bend over backwards to make sure your customers are happy as I was with my rig.

Chris

Jeff you....have done your best to bend over backwards to make sure your customers are happy as I was with my rig.

Herehere!! Three cheers to Jeff!!