AnKaLi

Kitty needs a home - CA or MI (or in between!)

So I'm relocating to Santa Rosa, CA from Detroit (YAY)....and i need help with adopting out one of our cats.

I've got an 8 year old, declawed, wonderful female gray cat named Ashley (not my idea, thank my mom) that is in desperate need of a good home. She was originally mine, but my mom wouldn't let me take her when I moved out...but when she passed away I ended up with the cat again. Thanks to the fact that our other two cats are clawed she hasn't had the best living situation, and she's basically got her own room to keep the other two out. I've been trying to adopt her out on and off for 2 years with no luck and now I'm kind of in a rush situation to find her a home.

I honestly wish I didn't have to get rid of her, she's an awesome cat, but her living situation isn't fair to her and we really can't take 3 cats to California and the other two pull seniority on her.

I've tried no kill shelters here in MI, but due to the economy, they're all full. I'm going to try some out in Cali, but it would be awesome for her to get an actual home.

I can post a picture of her later today, but I figured I'd ask for help now.

Have you tried SoftPaws on the two with claws? Those things are great. I have one with claws, two without, but the clawed one gets softpaws. It's like $20 for a six month supply, they are rubbery caps that go over the claws, held on with superglue.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Yeah, besides the cats still fight (i.e. team clawed vs team delawed, the two clawed cats have earned each others respect)...

We have tried to socialized the three cats together but to no avail and now that we are about to move across the country, it's just time to find Ashley a better home where she can actually live undisturbed rather than be delegated to a front bedroom.

If anyone can help us we'd be grateful!
Good judgement comes from experience, and most of that comes from bad judgement.

I've never tried the caps. All of my cats have their claws and I trim them periodically. My feeling is if I can get them to stay still long enough to put those darn caps on, then keeping their nails trimmed should be a piece of cake.

As far as the OP is concerned- I doubt its really a case of claws vs. no claws. In my experience, its much harder to introduce an adult cat into a household that already has cats than it is to bring in a kitten. Adult cats (male and female) seem to be naturally protective of a kitten and naturally territorial with other adult cats. Anyway, I'm sorry you have to let her go and I hope you can find her a good home - preferably a home where she can be the "queen".

yeah I don't think mine would sit still long enough to have anything trimmed, he freaked out when I needed to cut something out of his fur!

The reason I say it's claws v. no claws is Ashley kind of gave up when she realized she couldn't fight on their level, and the other two realize she's scared and bully her for it (one more violently than the other). She really just won't have the introduction, as you said...she needs to go somewhere to be the queen!

I was in a similar situation with an older stray I took in several years ago. She was a really sweet gentle cat but my "boys" (normally really good cats also) were horrible to her- more intimidation than actual violence! :S I've never had that problem with a new kitten. I tried for almost 2 years in a one bedroom apartment and my mom finally took her in and treated her like a princess right up through her final days.