RkyMtnHigh

Do you get an annual flu shot?

Funny, I just returned to my desk after having received my (mandatory, US Govt. Property) annual flu shot. I figure, I can't get sick from this thing so better to be vaccinated against the real bug strain of the year.
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I've gotten them sometimes, but usually when they're offered in-office by the company's health plan provider.

I don't make it a must-have every year, unless there's a serious strain going around that gets publicized.

That said, people with weak immune systems, young kids and older adults should get them every year.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

not for me thanks, I think its just a money maker for drug companies.

I think there are plenty of other preventative measures you can do for your body to have a great immune system
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

I haven't ever gotten a flu shot, however I know a lot of people who feel its a necessary preventative measure.

Pro or Con Thoughts?

It depends on your level of perceived risk.

the Elderly, hospital workers, teachers of young children etc.. they are considered to be in a higher risk category.

I personally don't, as I dont see myself as being in a high risk group
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I can't get sick from this thing so better to be vaccinated against the real bug strain of the year.

The vaccine is rarely the current strain for that particular year, and often only offer a minimal immunity if any at all.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

IMO, even those in low risk groups should be vaccinated to avoid becoming carriers who spread the flu to others. Remember, some flu strains WILL kill otherwise healthy people. Any Doc's care to add $0.02?
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

I'm required to... in fact I'll be getting emails every day until I go to immunizations to get it...

they don't usually give us a shot though... they usually give us a flu "Mist" which I don't like at all... B|

Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I'm required to... in fact I'll be getting emails every day until I go to immunizations to get it...

they don't usually give us a shot though... they usually give us a flu "Mist" which I don't like at all... B|

Mist? Is it administered up your nose?:S

Yes, although "mist" is obviouly a very subjective word... and the taste when it drips down my throat is rather unpleasant...

I'd much rather get a shot in the arm...

at work every year we line up like a bunch of good little boys and get our flu shot.

we work in very close quarters on the boats. the divers we all breathe out of the same B.I.B.S. in the decompression chambers, and you always have some tender sticking their mug inside your diving helmet to do a comm. check when they put you online.

a flu bug, or any cold bug for that matter is devastating on a dive boat. one guy gets sick, and we all get fucked...if you can't clear your ears/sinuses you cant dive it will shut the whole show down.

running at $150,000+ a day operation you don't take chances like a flu bug.... you take the shot(s) or you stay on the beach....
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Yes, although "mist" is obviouly a very subjective word... and the taste when it drips down my throat is rather unpleasant...

I wonder if the efficacy of the mist is the same as a shot.

not for me thanks, I think its just a money maker for drug companies.

I think there are plenty of other preventative measures you can do for your body to have a great immune system

Hey Roo,

I respectfully disagree. The flu vaccine is reasonable priced. Flu kills thousands every year - although mostly the elderly with other serious medical problems. But influenza can kick your butt big time, many young, healthy people miss a week or more of work, and are wiped out for weeks more. I see tons of healthy peiple who wish they had had their flu shots each winter. But I agree with Billy vVthat it is most useful in the young, elderly, and chronically ill. Each year the fly vaccine is a guess as to what strains will be prevalent. Last years vaccine was only 50% protective.

I get it every year, but I get exposed a lot at work, too.

Ed
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

I get them every year. I started getting flu shots in law school because I could not afford to get the flu during finals and lose and entire semester, because if you miss a final, you fail, and there's no excuses unless you're in the hospital or a family member has died and you can produce the death certificate.

Now I get flu shots because my grandparents have been having some medical problems and I spend a lot of time with them, and I don't want to get them sick if I catch the flu and pass it along before I know I'm sick.

If your willing to listen, i'm willing to help.

As for the flu shot that would be a nope for my answer. I got the flu this past year in February, and the doc asked me do you get a flu shot and I answered I never have as long as it's been up to me. She said it wouldn't of helped you much this year anyway.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I can see the point that the people with a lower tollerance of the immune system might be helped or proteceted.

just saying that its not for me.
(I.C.D#2 VP)
"<3 ..Looks like breasts coming out of an ice cream cone. Mmmm."~John Mitchell
"I'm good with my purple penis straw" ~sky mama

I've never had a flu shot, and honestly, I don't think I've ever really had the "flu" either. I'm good for maybe one winter cold a year which may or may not cause me to stay home from work for a day, and may or may not result in a cough that lingers for a while. Its been years since I was sick enough with a fever, etc., to stay home any longer than a day. For the most part, I am pretty healthy and I figure there is no reason to jinx that with a flu vaccine.

I was at my doctor's on Friday. They asked if I wanted one while I was there but didn't push the issue when I declined.

From what I remember... the nasal spray is a live attenuated influenza virus... but it doesn't appear that there is much difference in effectiveness (Based on the Wikipedia article which cites studies done by the CDC) between Injected and nasal.

Well, maybe it's psychological, but in years that I get flu shots I don't get the flu. In years that I don't get flu shots I do get the flu, with a high fever, and I'm miserable for about a week. If I can protect myself from 50% of the viruses out there then that's worth something.

What do you have to tell me? I'm listening. :P

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I can see the point that the people with a lower tollerance of the immune system might be helped or proteceted.

just saying that its not for me.

That is certainly your choice, and not an unreasonable one. But your first post also talked about your opinion that it is only to make $ for the drug companies. Now I am NOT a big advocate of the drug companies, but when you can get a flu shot at Costco for $10, I don't think this is a blockbuster deal for the manufacturers.
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"

The Flu mist is a live vaccine unlike the shot. You can read a bit about it here.

http://www.cdc.gov/FLU/about/qa/nasalspray.htm

FYI:It is also cheaper to go to a place doing flu vaccines for 20-25 bucks than going to your PCP. Most PCP have to charge an office/nurse visit, admin of vaccine, and then the fee for the shot. that adds up and if your insurance doesn't cover it you are stuck with the bill. So make sure you check with your PCP on cost before getting it in the office.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly